Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, you didn't say they'd (initially?) rejected her - you said she'd missed her offer. Not the same! But fair enough, every case is different - who knows what might come in to play in a particular decision...

DtS
Mayfly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by anlgoDC)
Just wondering, did you have any emergency type of explanation?
Nope.
Emmaleuk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Tombola)
I always assumed that those with offers usually require very little in their latter modules to get in.
Not me! I'm clinging on to my As...(and if my gut feeling about my exams is correct I am literally clinging on to them with not much hope!)
Meanwhile 2 of my friends that got rejected from either Oxford or Cambridge have virtually got AAA or better already! I cannot stop thinking that my place should have gone to one of them (especially since one of them is also going to be studying law like me...)
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Emmaleuk)
Not me! I'm clinging on to my As...(and if my gut feeling about my exams is correct I am literally clinging on to them with not much hope!)
Meanwhile 2 of my friends that got rejected from either Oxford or Cambridge have virtually got AAA or better already! I cannot stop thinking that my place should have gone to one of them (especially since one of them is also going to be studying law like me...)
I felt like this for a while too. Don't be so negative about yourself. They must have liked you and seen something in you that perhaps you yourself haven't seen yet and that your friends don't have
Mercuria
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
Did they have to resit some of their A Level modules, in order to successfully reapply?
They hadn't yet retaken the exams, but had already decided to retake them in the same academic year they reapplied.
User192499
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm clinging to my As with a tiny thread of hope.
But it's fast disappearing. Maybe they liked me though and I'll get away with it. Maybe not. How depressing I am tonight.
Mook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by EducatingBrogan)
I'm clinging to my As with a tiny thread of hope.
But it's fast disappearing.
Take comfort in the fact that you're not the only one - the more I think about my French exam yesterday the more miserable I become. Best to just try to forget about it, really.
User192499
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's a deal *forgets horrific Welsh and French exams*
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I missed my offer of AAA (for History), got AAB, called my college and was told that I could come along anyway.

It was St Hilda's though... some uncharitable people have implied that I wouldn't have been allowed to take up the place had the offer been for another college. A plague on both their houses, I say
Sweetliketropicana
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mayfly)
History at Balliol, I don't think it's standard though.
Was your offer based on adv higher though ?
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Tombola)
I always assumed that those with offers usually require very little in their latter modules to get in.
Not necessarily. This might be true of some of the sciences, but is less true of the arts. It certainly wasn't the case for me.
User192499
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Athena)
Not necessarily. This might be true of some of the sciences, but is less true of the arts. It certainly wasn't the case for me.

Isn't the case for me either. Which is why I'm going into my final English module today and Drama tomorrow with terror in my heart
menagerie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My sister missed her offer by 5 UMS marks and had actually had a bit of a traumatic morning on the day of two of that subject's modules but didn't call them to tell them, so when she missed her offer, they didn't let her in. It was for Law.
Naranoc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
After having some papers go not-so-well this year, I'm telling myself that if I can't get the three As required, then I shouldn't be going and would be better off elsewhere. Which is all very fine now, but I don't think I'll be saying that if I actually miss the offer

Oh, to kill for an EE conditional offer :P
Emmaleuk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
gosh aren't we a depressing bunch between us! I am currently missing maths and science subjects where i'd have some chance of my marks being spread out a bit over a few questions! Nothing worse than opening your exam paper to an essay title you really don't get and thinking "hmmmm I don't think I can blag this....darn!"

*le sigh*
at_amber
Report 11 years ago
yeah last year i got in to trinity for history but got ABB, seemed pretty pointless even asking so i didnt. i didnt get into my back up which wanted AAB and there wasnt anything that tickled my fancy in clearing so i took a year out and applied again obviously not expecting to get in.
one of the Bs was in biology so ive just given that up as a bad bad thing and have done english language instead, and i have to resit the other B (to go up by a whopping 2 ums marks... :rolleyes:) which is for history but i have got an AA offer for st johns this year.

and i wait to see if ive messed up a second year running, which is looking devastatingly possible.
username145063
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My sister got in to Univ after missing her offer with AAB. It was for Egyptology and I think she was the only one in her year doing it in the whole uni (I think) so that probably contributed to them letting her in.

I really feel that i've messed up economics to an extent where an A seems a distant, almost unfathomable possibility. Oh well, we'll find out eventually
arod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was in IB student who had an offer of 776, for chemisty, biology, physics, and missed the chemistry mark..and was rejected... This was for Biochemistry.
So some colleges don't let you in if you don't make your offer, but it differs with each college, with each degree program and with each yr. Biochem was oversubscribed that yr.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (196)
71.27%
No I haven't decided yet (48)
17.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (31)
11.27%

Watched Threads