Could this cause diarrhea?? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Anon or delete please, for obvious reasons.

Okay, so i woke up to a lovely (!) stomach.

I had really bad diarrhea, like watery. I've never (in memory) had diarrhea like that. It literally woke me up. Within a minute i was in the bathroom.

I'm okay now (i hope). The thing is.. i'm really worried about HOW and WHY i got it.

I'm scared to eat incase it's like a food intolerance. Could a food intolerance cause something that bad? I mean, i have food intolerances, but it's never been THAT bad. Not even close.

Could lack of sleep (6 hours in 48), mixed with just starting my period, and then taking lots of medication over the course of a day (not ODing - but 6 paracetamol, plus 5 throat sweets (which have an anesthetic thing in them), plus remigel, plus pepto bismol,) do that? I never usually take medication.

I'm ill anyway, so i don't go out much. Which means in order to get any bug or virus - it'd have to come from a family member and they're all fine.

And the only food that could poison me last night was chicken but my mother also ate it and she's completely fine.

Also, if it was a bug or food (which seems unlikely), wouldn't i have it all day? It lasted badly for like 20 minutes. and then on and off for an hour or so, and stopped after finally taking an immodium (which would've worn off by now). And it didn't affect my stomach (vomiting) at all... which if it was a bug or food - it would have.. right?

I'm phobic of getting ill.. i'm soooo scared of getting it again.. do you think it was because of what i said above (sleep/period/medication)?

Thanks and sorry
ClaireHogben
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
its difficult to know what causes these things, but if you've been ill anyway then your immune system is already being overworked. so if you did for example eat something bad, then it may have affected you and not your mum because your immune system is already struggling to cope with your other problems.

alternatively, it could be your body's way of getting rid of your other illness. think about what diarrhoea actually is: it's you getting a lot of stuff out of your body FAST. This could be you trying to get whatever is causing the problem out of there as quickly as possible.

dont underestimate the power of immodium!! i often find that the symptoms dont return after it wears off, so you could just be very lucky to be better so quickly.

but DEFINATELY the most important thing for you right now is to drink lots, and i mean LOTS, of water. Diarrhoea causes a lot of water loss (obviously), and dont forget that women loose a lot of water on their period too. drinking water could also help to "flush out" whatever is causing the problem. take it easy for a few days, and let your body recover properly, so you're less likely to get ill again.

dont worry!!!! and smile
Superman_Jr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it could be the paracetamols, well that's what happens to me when I take it.
Also, a year ago I had this diarrhea bug so whenever I ate I just had to go. So if you're really hungry and want to eat, eat bread/soup or as mentioned above lots of water.
Toy Soldier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ClaireHogben)
its difficult to know what causes these things, but if you've been ill anyway then your immune system is already being overworked. so if you did for example eat something bad, then it may have affected you and not your mum because your immune system is already struggling to cope with your other problems.

alternatively, it could be your body's way of getting rid of your other illness. think about what diarrhoea actually is: it's you getting a lot of stuff out of your body FAST. This could be you trying to get whatever is causing the problem out of there as quickly as possible.

dont underestimate the power of immodium!! i often find that the symptoms dont return after it wears off, so you could just be very lucky to be better so quickly.

but DEFINATELY the most important thing for you right now is to drink lots, and i mean LOTS, of water. Diarrhoea causes a lot of water loss (obviously), and dont forget that women loose a lot of water on their period too. drinking water could also help to "flush out" whatever is causing the problem. take it easy for a few days, and let your body recover properly, so you're less likely to get ill again.

dont worry!!!! and smile
But not TOO much, that's much more dangerous than mild dehydration.
h82think
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes.
Hisoo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you've never had it that bad before it unlikely to be a food intolerance, so its probably just a bug or something you have eaten.

I'd say just try taking it easy for a day and eat small portions of toast, scambled egg e.g and couple of Immodium. Get well soon!
Buckets-and-Spades
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
rehydration sachets are really good idea too...eg. Diarolyte, which you can get from pharmacies or supermarkets.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
blimey, bit of an over-reation
moonbeam08
Report 11 years ago
It's maybe to do with your period aswell....it's meant to be quite common when you're on!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.11%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.46%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.74%
It might lead to more bullying (85)
35.56%
There's nothing they could do (72)
30.13%

Watched Threads