Is this normal? Blood test + pics. Watch

firekitty__
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey seeing if anyone has any wisdom on this. I’ve had a couple of blood tests before and never really had pain. I had a blood test 2 weeks ago, she seemed to tie the band way too tight around my upper arm, I couldn’t feel pain of the needle as I couldn’t feel my arm at all. For the whole 10 days since most of my arm is either still painful or tender and the bruising is pretty big. Just wondering if this is normal at this stage as I don’t know much about it? I’ve attached a pic 😬
Attached files
Last edited by firekitty__; 2 months ago
username4894900
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That is not a normal response to a blood test. That seems like excessive bruising!

Could I ask what were you getting the blood test for?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by firekitty__)
Hey seeing if anyone has any wisdom on this. I’ve had a couple of blood tests before and never really had pain. I had a blood test 2 weeks ago, she seemed to tie the band way too tight around my upper arm, I couldn’t feel pain of the needle as I couldn’t feel my arm at all. For the whole 10 days since most of my arm is either still painful or tender and the bruising is pretty big. Just wondering if this is normal at this stage as I don’t know much about it? I’ve attached a pic 😬
If you're concerned see your GP. We are not medical professionals
MiaNova
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, I'm Mia 👋

Please see your GP as they can best advise you.

But from the picture, it does not look like a response from a normal blood test. It may be that she tied it too hard or that you just bruise really easily.

Hope you're okay!
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Some people just bruise a lot.
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Report 2 months ago
Bruising is normal after a blood test
firekitty__
Rep:
?
(Original post by XavierMyshkin)
That is not a normal response to a blood test. That seems like excessive bruising!

I’m not entirely sure, I assume hormones maybe as I was having complications from a miscarriage. Think the doctor said she needed a full blood count too. Thanks for your response, i’m not sure whether I need to go to a doctor or not
firekitty__
Rep:
?
(Original post by XavierMyshkin)

I watched and only once, never had any problems before with blood tests so was just wondering
username4894900
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Whilst I am not a fully qualified doctor - yet. Obviously as an outsider that looks a little excessive. Since it is the weekend just wait it out, if it seems to get worse then just book an appointment at the GP. Having a miscarriage/being pregnant can change your normal blood clotting processes and so this may have had an effect here. So just wait it out and try not to panic.

I am sorry you have gone through what you have done though! And I hope you are okay x
plainjayne1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
When did you take the picture? Is it new? If it is then you need to see your gp asap. That's excessive bruising and not normal. If it's almost back to normal then you should probably speak to a doctor anyway.
Last edited by plainjayne1; 2 months ago
Emmly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,

I think bruising is pretty normal, but just ring your GP if you're super worried.
firekitty__
Rep:
?
thank you, your response was v useful! x
username4894900
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thank you, your response was v useful! x
I hope you get better soon x
firekitty__
Rep:
?
(Original post by plainjayne1)
When did you take the picture? Is it new? If it is then you need to see your gp asap. That's excessive bruising and not normal. If it's almost back to normal then you should probably speak to a doctor anyway.
I just took this, but it’s been like this 10 days now. Thanks for your advice
plainjayne1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I just took this, but it’s been like this 10 days now. Thanks for your advice
Definitely see someone Monday at the latest. Better to be safe than sorry. Let me know how you get on.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've had bruising similar to this after a blood test - they used a big needle and it went through the back of my vain and that caused bleeding under the skin.
Emmly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,

I replied earlier, but I was just wondering if you did R.I.C.E? That could help..

except maybe the elevation lol. that might be a bit much.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Some funny things can happen when you stick a needle into your vein. I've still got a permanent dark red mark in the crook of my elbow from a blood test I had a year ago lol.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Emmly)
Hi,

I replied earlier, but I was just wondering if you did R.I.C.E? That could help..

except maybe the elevation lol. that might be a bit much.
It's not going to help with established bruising.
Discrepancy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That’s looks bad- visit GP!
Last edited by Discrepancy; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads