is maths hard at a level? or is chemistry harder? Watch

ArjunT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
im thinking about doing one or the other. I think i'll probably get a B in both at GCSE but im not too sure of which 1 to do.
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think chemitry - maths can be self taught (well some modules can be)
tristanperry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you are good at maths, and take it seriously (as it's different to the GCSE, and if you don't work at it you'll definitely get caught out) then it's easy enough Nothing too difficult about it really.

However as I say, it is different from GCSE - you must (IMHO) enjoy it (and be willing to work hard at it) if you want to do it.
jseldis
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Maths is harder at A2.
Chemistry is a huge jump from GCSE to AS, but the gap between AS and A2 is no-where near as bad.

The gap for maths is HUGE, for both. It's very difficult, i'd say.

Maybe try both for AS? Then drop the one you're **** at?
jseldis
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
i think chemitry - maths can be self taught (well some modules can be)
That's bullcrap. Anything can be self taught, it's actually easier with Chemistry - maths is more complicated at times and occasionally it's good to have a teacher to help you out with problematic questions.
livlov
Report 11 years ago
Maths is a horrible A-level I did it for AS with Chemistry. I was really good at Maths at GCSE but no matter how much work i did I never seemed to get it whereas in Chemistry all the work you do shows in your grades
Bandit Queen
Report 11 years ago
I've done both, and I have to say that maths is a lot more enjoyable, and I believe that you'll get more out of Maths than Chem. In what other subject can you say "yes!!" when you get an answer right?

Chem is OK if you have a very good memory, but overall it's my least favourite A Level as there is *so* much to learn. For Maths, there isn't that much revision because once you get the overall idea for a question, you can just apply your knowledge to it.

All in all, neither of them are horrendous, so I think you'll do fine doing either
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah but remeber c1 is mainly GCSE Maths higher paper with only a few additions! ^^
Jerking My Gerking
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's relative to your skill to the subject. I find maths rather easy as I am very good at maths, but would find chemistry very hard as I suck at it. Equally, my friend called X could be amazing at chemistry and find it easy, but suck at maths.
Jerking My Gerking
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ArjunT)
im thinking about doing one or the other. I think i'll probably get a B in both at GCSE but im not too sure of which 1 to do.
If you're getting Bs in them at GCSE, prepare to fail in whichever one you takle.
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jerking My Gerking)
If you're getting Bs in them at GCSE, prepare to fail in whichever one you takle.
don't say that!
ppl i know get C grades at GCSE, work their butts of at AS and come out with A grades. Its possible. What a demoralising statment!
Tom4510
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Jerkin My Gerkin isnt true, just expect to be spending 3x more time on the subject than at gcse
Jerking My Gerking
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
don't say that!
ppl i know get C grades at GCSE, work their butts of at AS and come out with A grades. Its possible. What a demoralising statment!
I've never seen somebody with a B at GCSE get a high A in maths.
Miss Monkey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I took both and for me Maths was infinitely easier. It may be due to the teachers I had (good for Maths, bad for Chemistry) but I really enjoyed Maths and found it much easier. I took Chemistry because I needed it for medicine and when I had a private tutor it got easier and more enjoyable, but I'd still take Maths over Chemistry anyday.
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well thats just you not knowing many people that aren't as smart as you are :rolleyes:
Chemical_Scum
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
chemistry 100% harder imo. maths is a piss take, its like a guaranteed A if your a clever guy. ask yourself if youre genuinely intelligent or if you learn by rote. if intelligence+creativity is more you then maths is easier. if you memorise **** Chem will be easier.
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jerking My Gerking)
I've never seen somebody with a B at GCSE get a high A in maths.
get out more mate!
Jerking My Gerking
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well thats just you not knowing many people that aren't as smart as you are :roleseyes:
Well at my sixthform, they don't allow you to take Maths if you get a B, unless you really beg etc. and then they pretty much wait for you to fail. Also, about your previous post. How did those people get into sixthform/college with a C in maths?
Blackwater
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jseldis)
Maths is harder at A2.
Chemistry is a huge jump from GCSE to AS, but the gap between AS and A2 is no-where near as bad.

The gap for maths is HUGE, for both. It's very difficult, i'd say.

Maybe try both for AS? Then drop the one you're **** at?
I agree with the first point in bold, however A2 Chemistry not only has two or three times as much to learn, but the depth of understanding required is significantly greater as well. BIG jump from AS to A2 IMO.

As for Maths: if you're naturally good at it it'll come very easily as it's mostly technique and there's very little you actually have to remember, whereas Chemistry is heavy on rote learning tons of junk like catalysts, transition metal colours, reaction conditions etc.

Speaking of which, I should get back to ensuring I don't fail CHM5. :p:

I hate to say this, but it's true. If you're getting Bs at GCSE (and a B in GCSE Maths is like 40% IIRC) you don't understand the GCSE content anywhere near well enough to have a good foundation at A-level (in fact plenty of people go from A*s to Cs/Ds), unless you really work your ass off.
Jerking My Gerking
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oooh I'm the Idiot. At least I can use punctuation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads