is maths hard at a level? or is chemistry harder? Watch

Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends how good you are at maths I guess. My mate did Maths, Further Maths, and Chemistry and he always said Chemistry was harder. I think maths & FMath are relatively easy subjects (easiest I took at A level), depending if you "get" it or not. I got way way better results in maths than the other subjects despite maths being "very hard"
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To do well at chemistry means doing a lot of memorisation. To do well at maths means doing lots of past papers (and trust me, there are lots available).

Pick.

My personal experience was that chemistry was much, much harder, but that's probably because I have more mathematical aptitude than chemical (did get an A* in chemistry GCSE + A at AS + my teacher really didn't want me to drop it for A2, so I'm not like TERRIBLE).
xMiss_Sarahx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No offence, but i think you'll struggle with either with only a B in them at GCSE.
They both have a huge jump from gcse to Alevel(more so than any other subject i'd say).
Well put it this way...i have many friends who struggle(alot...as in they need Cs in it and have worked their arses off these last 2 years in Chemistry and currently looks like they wont get Cs) with Chemistry Alevel who got A*s in chemistry at gcse, and i'm not sure about A*s, but i definately have friends who struggle with Maths Alevel who got As in it at GCSE (and found gcse maths ridiculously easy)
What other subjects you thinking of doing at Alevel?
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sorry didn't realise your going to end up with a B at GCSE. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT do maths, you'll fail. I wouldn't advise doing Chemistry either, but I did only get a B at GCSE Physics, and ended up with a B (almost A) at A level.

EDIT: The jump from GCSE to A level maths is huge. A lot of people take it thinking they will be able to do it cause they got A's or A*'s at GCSE. Many of them fail, atleast as far as I could see in my school lol! We had two classes, one group did FMath & Math, the other just Math. I went in their lessons a few times, lets just say they struggled, ALOT!
Hedgehunter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well at least Chemistry has a point to it and a relevent answer at the end. Completing a Maths question is just "Oh nice, move on to next question" End of.
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jerking My Gerking)
Well at my sixthform, they don't allow you to take Maths if you get a B, unless you really beg etc. and then they pretty much wait for you to fail. Also, about your previous post. How did those people get into sixthform/college with a C in maths?
my cousin got a C at GCSE just becasue he had a bad day. He worked his arse off at AS and got an A - not just an A, but 283/300! Thats high. This was 2 years ago. He's now at Imperial doing chemical engineering. i go to a grammar school so most people in my school get B grades at the lowest - a couple of Cs though. But all the department asks for is a B grade at GCSE (sitting the higher paper) for maths stats and an A grade to do maths mechanics.
And plus maths isn't the be all and end all to enter college. All you need is a C!
humminteresting
Report 11 years ago
NONE you cant compare, some people might be good at maths and crap at chemistry, it really depends on the individual, remember everyones different
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Sorry didn't realise your going to end up with a B at GCSE. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT do maths, you'll fail. I wouldn't advise doing Chemistry either, but I did only get a B at GCSE Physics, and ended up with a B (almost A) at A level.
but some guy at my school got an A* at GCSE physics - did it for A level and got a C. Its not correletional that once you get a low grade or high grade at GCSE that automatically corresponds to a low grade or high grade at AS level. If she's striggling to get a B then thats a different case but remember, results aren't out yet so don't sound so pessimistic. You prob did better than you think
xxlawyergirlxx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ermm well I do both, and would say take chem if you're aiming for a B in both at gcse.
I much prefer maths but it really depends on whether you have a natural flair for it I think on how well you'll do. At my school the minimum requirement to do maths at a-level is an A at GCSE, which I think is a good idea because many people who got an A at GSCE are failing maths a-level; it's a massive jump. People who do maths a-level tend to find maths gcse very easy. I know I'm generalising here, but most people who don't get As at gcse are really going to struggle.
So yeh, chemistry is more memorising stuff and less understanding imo so go for that. Both are really hard subjects though so good luck!
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
p.s. I think you should probably ask around the people at the 6th form you're studying at next year, and see what their opinions are on it, because i think with both these subjects, the individual teachers can affect how you find the subjects.
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Chemistry is about 5x harder
username138327
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you have a good memory - chem
If you are good with numbers and methods - maths
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
but some guy at my school got an A* at GCSE physics - did it for A level and got a C. Its not correletional that once you get a low grade or high grade at GCSE that automatically corresponds to a low grade or high grade at AS level.
I don't think this is the case with Maths. If your good enough to do A level, you should be good enough to get an A at GCSE with not a great deal of work (its not very hard, read below). Maths isn't like Physics, its not just about memorisation. You can only get so much better by working harder.

I agree though, you may do better than you think. Sometimes the grade boundaries are rediculous in Maths. I actually thought I'd failed my Maths GCSE but ended up with A*. I think the grade req was like 45% or something rediculous (I screwed up like half the paper!).

You don't get grade boundaries at A level like this however, since it isnt compulsory anymore!
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Maths isn't like Physics, its not just about memorisation!
thats not true for physics AS!
lilac!!
Report 11 years ago
Both are the same tbh. Maths is more enjoyable in my opinion.
kORiNO
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends on your own personal preference and what you're good at. I can't do Chemistry to save my life, actually can't really do maths either..but I'm less crap at maths than Chem
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
thats not true for physics AS!
Pffft, it is almost, the only exam that requires any thinking is the Mechanics module, which is just a watered down version of Mechanics in Maths haha! The other two are just writing down memoried facts!
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ok you're entitiled to your own opinion but i think thats a rather wrong one you have there. physics requires a different type of thinking. if its that easy then why is it that the entire country doesn't get A grades! Infact why not even 100%! I mean i'm sure you could have! :rolleyes:
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ok you're entitiled to your own opinion but i think thats a rather wrong one you have there. physics requires a different type of thinking. if its that easy then why is it that the entire country doesn't get A grades! Infact why not even 100%! I mean i'm sure you could have! :rolleyes:
Hey I never said it was easy, I only got a B in it anyway. A lot of it is recalling facts though, and making sure answers have key words. If you learn't the sylabus completely you could get 100%, but most people don't really do a great deal of work and end up with a pass.
- skyhigh -
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fellas)
If you have a good memory - chem
If you are good with numbers and methods - maths
But unlike biology, there is a fair amount of calculations in chem. I wouldnt say it is all memorising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.53%
No I haven't decided yet (59)
22.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed