is maths hard at a level? or is chemistry harder? Watch

eulerwaswrong
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hedgehunter)
I'm sure motivation and enjoyment would be enough?...just learn all the stuff I mean, thats all there is to it.
no
moonbeam08
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by eulerwaswrong)
yes of course - but my point is maths is easier - by far.

For **** sake - id did C4 in 6 days - probably got a mid A in it - perhaps slightly less. Chemistry i will be chuffed with anything above a C this year.

I spend all my time revising for Chem - hardly any for maths and further maths - yet i still end up with much higher marks in maths.

There is far more to learn and understand in chemistry - also it is far harder to get very very high marks due to the nature of the questions
Again i agree with you!!! Chemistry gets the most revision hands down ....and i always do better in my other subjects...it's not fair!!! The other day my predicted A in chemistry just dropped to a C if i'm lucky....because of one REALLY bad exam that i worked my ass off for....gutted like
Oxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by moonbeam08)
Again i agree with you!!! Chemistry gets the most revision hands down ....and i always do better in my other subjects...it's not fair!!! The other day my predicted A in chemistry just dropped to a C if i'm lucky....because of one REALLY bad exam that i worked my ass off for....gutted like
C4 in 6 days? **** are you a machine?
moonbeam08
Report 11 years ago
lol that wasn't me
Hedgehunter
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no
Dang...perhaps change after AS then, I still want to give it a shot. Recommended?
Mathematician!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ArjunT)
im thinking about doing one or the other. I think i'll probably get a B in both at GCSE but im not too sure of which 1 to do.
I prefer Maths over Chemistry. Then again, I am biased
moonbeam08
Report 11 years ago
Are you good at it Hedgehunter at the minute?
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

For **** sake - id did C4 in 6 days - probably got a mid A in it - perhaps slightly less. Chemistry i will be chuffed with anything above a C this year.

I spend all my time revising for Chem - hardly any for maths and further maths - yet i still end up with much higher marks in maths.

There is far more to learn and understand in chemistry - also it is far harder to get very very high marks due to the nature of the questions
It just means you are better at maths.
I did slightly less for Chem than Maths, it was always the least of my priorities because I found the workload small (compared to Bio!!). Both are anecdotal points.

Yes it is harder to get very high UMS, but that's typical of all other subjects besides Maths-- if you know the method and your working is right, you get full marks. High 90's and full UMS happen far more often in Maths than any other subject.
Mathematician!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Do you mean you did revision for C4 in 6 days? In which case, that is plausible. In the case of the whole course in 6 days, well then you are a machine
eulerwaswrong
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mathematician!)
Do you mean you did revision for C4 in 6 days? In which case, that is plausible. In the case of the whole course in 6 days, well then you are a machine
no - i had never seen any c4 before 6 days before the exam

my dads a maths teacher though - so he taught me half of it, i self taught half of it, i just sat down did about 5 hours a day of just maths - doing all the exercises from the book - (it wasnt fun let me tell you)- i felt confident with it - did all past papers got 90+ in all of them - exam didnt go as well - been through the paper - i reckon ive got low 80 in it - i only needed something like 50 for an a thouh - so no worries
moonbeam08
Report 11 years ago
bet ya can't say the same about chemistry...can you imagine only starting it 6days before the exam....that would be awful lolol
cclose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it all depends on where your strengths are. Maths for me was definitely the most time consuming of all subjects- you MUST be willing to put in the practice hours if you want a chance of doing well in it. However if u are quite logically minded/good with numbers, it may be easier for you.

Chemistry would be a better option to take if you are good at memorising over manipulating numbers.

Like me, i can barely learn 1 line for a school play and love numbers hence maths has been my strongest subject over likes of biology etc which involve a lot of memorising.

Good luck to you in whichever you choose!!
eulerwaswrong
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by moonbeam08)
bet ya can't say the same about chemistry...can you imagine only starting it 6days before the exam....that would be awful lolol
impossible - it couldnt be done -

i think chemistry is by far the hardest a level.

things like maths and further maths just do not compare
acsi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jerking My Gerking)
I've never seen somebody with a B at GCSE get a high A in maths.
I got a B at GCSE maths and was guaranteed a high B - low A at the whole a level before i even too the last module. lol. stop talking bullcrap.
moonbeam08
Report 11 years ago
Yeah i totally agree with you!! my module 4 has ruined my whole a-level grade and my place in Dental school, i'm so gutted like and i will continue to HATE CHEMISTRY ALL MY LIFE!!!! lol
EA-man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by livlov)
Maths is a horrible A-level I did it for AS with Chemistry. I was really good at Maths at GCSE but no matter how much work i did I never seemed to get it whereas in Chemistry all the work you do shows in your grades
Different for me. Chemistry was horrible for me, I dropped it after AS.

I was good at both at GCSE, got A's. Chem was actually my easiest GCSE for me. And then at A level, we did Nuffield, and it was absolutely horrible. It is science, but it's quite illogical in my opinion...a science based on exceptions.

The teacher could write a formula on the board, and I'd just stare at it. The other guys would be like
"Well obviously it's electronegative/nucleophilic, its bond angles are blah blah blah....."
and I did reams of revision and only got a C. For maths I revised much less and am pretty sure of my A.

(Original post by Hedgehunter)
Well at least Chemistry has a point to it and a relevent answer at the end. Completing a Maths question is just "Oh nice, move on to next question" End of.
It's the opposite for me. Answering a chemistry question was like "Oh. I'm so happy I went through the effort of finding that out. (not)" but solving maths questions is actually satisfying, because maths is logical.

I guess my aptitude is much better for maths and it's down to the OP as an individual.
moonbeam08
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by EA-man)
Different for me. Chemistry was horrible for me, I dropped it after AS.

I was good at both at GCSE, got A's. Chem was actually my easiest GCSE for me. And then at A level, we did Nuffield, and it was absolutely horrible. It is science, but it's quite illogical in my opinion...a science based on exceptions.

The teacher could write a formula on the board, and I'd just stare at it. The other guys would be like
"Well obviously it's electronegative/nucleophilic, its bond angles are blah blah blah....."
and I did reams of revision and only got a C. For maths I revised much less and am pretty sure of my A.

It's the opposite for me. Answering a chemistry question was like "Oh. I'm so happy I went through the effort of finding that out. (not)" but solving maths questions is actually satisfying, because maths is logical.

I guess my aptitude is much better for maths and it's down to the OP as an individual.

totally agree!
Oxy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by louiscbrooks)
I got a B at GCSE maths and was guaranteed a high B - low A at the whole a level before i even too the last module. lol. stop talking bullcrap.
That is totally true, just because he hasn't seen anyone do it doesn't mean it can't be done
ArjunT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
wow i really didnt think it would be this much of a debate. I think i will just talk to various teachers and see what they say.
moonbeam08
Report 11 years ago
yeah that's probably best!we can tell you all day about what we think but only you know what you want and whats best for you ....ooo the cheese :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads