have to wait 3 months for cbt Watch

UniversityFoggy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Every time I have been to the GP, they just tell me the medication doesn't work and besides that there isn't much we can do to help you. I have tried talking to the hospital and Samaritans and that hasn't really helped me.

Hopefully it will work, however i think my depression isn't curable.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think looking for a "cure" isn't necessarily a helpful way of looking at this. CBT will give you the tools to better manage your MH issues. Well done on seeking help.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know it feels like it but 3 months isn't a long time to wait and is shorter than other areas. I had to wait over a year for DBT. Just keep yourself busy and the date will sneak up on you. As pathway says it's also not a cure it's a toolkit and you need to put work in for it to have any effect. It's equipping you with tools to deal with your feelings rather than curing them
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by UniversityFoggy)
Every time I have been to the GP, they just tell me the medication doesn't work and besides that there isn't much we can do to help you. I have tried talking to the hospital and Samaritans and that hasn't really helped me.

First, try to be positive, I know that it can be really hard, but try try try to get into the mentality that this is a blip and this is not how you are going to feel forever. (sorry I know people giving advice is really annoying)

HOWEVER in regards to the wait for CBT, have you tried any online CBT? Seemingly it has good levels of success, maybe something to look up or ask your GP about.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LaVieEnRose...
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by UniversityFoggy)

Hi there!! I understand how frustrating it is to have to wait such a long time but as someone who has recently been doing CBT for the past 8 weeks through the NHS it is completely worth it. I struggle with anxiety and through CBT I have been able to actually deal with my anxiety head on. Yes it hasn't just magically disappeared but rather by going to therapy you will learn how to deal with it and it will make you feel more hopeful for a better future. As hard as it is right now you can and you will get through this. Even though it mightn't feel like it right now eventually you will get to a point where you can manage it. Well done for seeking help! I have all the faith that you will get through this coming from someone who has struggled with anxiety and panic disorder for many years. There is always support out there. Before you get CBT in the mean time try to find ways to manage yourself whether that's through reading self help books, listening to music, meditation etc whatever it may be. I found listening to others experiences helped me to feel less alone as I know how isolating it can feel when you are dealing with your mental health. Please be gentle to yourself and take it day by day. Hope everything gets better for you soon! x
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
3 months is sadly a relatively short amount of time to wait for CBT these days, waiting lists can stretch into years depending on which service area you're in. I'm not sure I agree with your doctor for saying medication won't help as you can't possibly know that until you've tried it but I would also say that it's not some miracle cure and that the best combination imo is both medication and counselling/therapy working in tandem.

Why don't you think your depression is able to be cured?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%