How many of you have cheated in an exam? Watch

Salinger
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by hobo06)
Just to clarify about exam board representatives browsing these forums, it DOES happen. And you CAN get caught (speaking from experience).
You may think "oh it's only a forum, no one would know who I am", with the right information in your profile, you can be traced. For example many of you have your school name for "Where you study", and maybe your name in your profile. All the exam board then need to do is send a letter to the school (as what happened to me) with your name. They will most probably know what course you may be cheating in (based on what/where you have posted) and that narrows it down to a few people who may have the same name doing your course. If your username is also a known nickname at your school then I suppose that can help to identify you.
So be careful what you write, it only takes a bit of info to identify you.

(Just in case you're wondering, I didn't strictly speaking cheat. Some leaked data files for an ICT exam were posted on here and I was involved in a discussion regarding the files and exam. The exam board wrote a letter to my school, with the information needed to identify me, and I had to provide a statement to the exam board. I was sh** scared of getting DQd)
how can they because people can easily put down somebody's name in their profile who goes to their college - theres no proof its the actual person online as the name on their profile.

i've never cheated in a gcse/alevel exam because firstly i'd get caught because i'd be acting all suspicious, and secondly it is not a reflection of my real grades and i'd feel i don't deserve them.
shootbangfire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm proud to say never, in any official exam. School latin tests, maybe, but nothing any more serious than that.
aster100
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pitchy08)
How do they know who we all are?
:eyeball:
It's not hard to deduce when people put subject, college, grades, and school. Also many people put their name on their profile. Easy deduction really
</gibberish>
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Might as well jump on the 'bandwagon' and say never;

It's the internet, so it's OK to lie.
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Never. Never even cheated in class exams. I'm too scared of cheating then suffering the consequences of it.
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've never cheated in a proper exam, but we did a mock biology exam in class and I (very cleverly I think!) found out what paper it was and memorised the mark scheme!
Anony mouse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dealbreaker)
Sure, prevalence of cheating suggests that there is some point to it, i.e. a motivation or motivations. That such a point exists doesn't make cheating right.

In answer to the question, never. Word of advice: If you do get away with cheating in exams, don't ever try cheating at work. I just wouldn't be comfortable working with people who take cheating so lightly.
Of course cheating is immoral, but I just found it little naive of people to say that there is no point to cheating. Out there in the real world, away from :tsr2: , cheating is the key to power.

(Original post by upturnedpalms)
Although I've never cheated, I have to say, this is a really good point.
Thanks for the approval. Neither have I ever cheated, but if I were a little less immoral, I would fully exploit the benefits of cheating my way through life and plenty of people do it (i.e George Bush).
chr15chr15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Salinger)
how can they because people can easily put down somebody's name in their profile who goes to their college - theres no proof its the actual person online as the name on their profile.
your clearaly unaware of the amount of information that your giving away when you post on such forums! By doing so they could, quite easily i believe, obtain your ip address and then they know where your computer is!
computers are magical things:P
Penguin133
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not really me cheating, but my school allowed a clash candidate to walk out of the exam and around instead of supervising him. They nearly did the same to me, but I had to point out to several different people that I had a clash and therefore shouldn't be allowed to walk out. Especially when other people are about to do the paper I just sat.

Also, somebody who was about to do the paper I was doing tried to look at the paper as he walked past I saw him coming and closed it though. Was a bit disappointed that I was sat next to/near to people taking the same paper in just 3 hours time.
eugenius 8
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
nope, never in a real exam
ChrisTheRockGod
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't see how you could.
Even writing things on your hands.. its pointless for essay-based subjects because not only could ANYTHING come up (which would decrease the chances of what you write being applicable), but hands just aren't big enough!

I think there's too much riding on A-level exams to even think about cheating.
Vulpix
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
One of my friends last week had a clash with her music and biology exams, so she did the biology one first and was allowed to go to the loo unsupervised before she did the music one. I saw her in the loo, and could have asked her about the biology one easily.
Don't think they shouldn't allow people to go to the loo though- I need the loo all the time!
Squares
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Squares)
never.

and it kinda bothers me.

like the other day, just 30 mins into a 1 hour exam....one went to the toilet. it's just so easy to write on your own skin and check it out.

i found it ridiculous. but you wouldn't be able to accuse that person or ask to check.
neither would the school want any trouble.

it was suspicious really.

if the exam boards are reading this, i firmly believe that no one should be allowed to go to the toilets during an exam that is 1.5 hours long. so you either go to the toilet beforehand...or be suspected. unless they have diahorrea (i.e. a case where they can get longer time as they will be in the toilet for a long time) or a medical condition that requires them to be exemplified from that.

oh well.

its not their life i'm living.
(Original post by GemmyMonster)
What about girls with very heavy periods? Doctors won't write notes for it, as they have no definate proof of it.

And a 1.5 hour exam plus all the bits before and after can get closer to 2 hours.
Wear a tampon and a the most absorbant longest coverage pad. Change just before exam (when you go to the loo) and change straight after. Sorted.

All the bits before and after? I doubt that would 30 minutes!

5-10 minutes before you start the exam. And then you leave.

Surely, anyone (who has no medical condition) who goes to the toilet before the exam won't need to go to the loo within 1.5 hours!

It's one of the major loopholes for cheating. It's easier for girls to cheat as the guy doesn't have to enter a cubicle!

I still stick to my argument. 1.5 hours is reasonable.

if its an exam of over 2 hours period...maybe allowed...but once only.
Cubasaur
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally I haven't cheated in a proper exam, but my friend wrote all of his chemistry notes on his arm and got caught.. his excuse was that he ran out of paper at home and had to use his arm to write revision notes, and that he doesnt like to wear long sleeved shirts.. what a tool :rolleyes:
Muppety_Kid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ende)
do exam boards actually look on this forum ?

seems a bit drastic
Yep, OCR have their own ID. Look them up
olive*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
Nah, as long as you dont have your real name in your profile, nobody will know.

*edits name*
Koooool
olive*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
omg. someone gave me negative rep. how SAD.
DominF
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i've never cheated, never will. mostly because i wouldn't be able to face the shame if i was caught, partially because its not fair on people who work hard.
username163092
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I never have (even in small in-class end of module tests). I feel guilty really easily, and if I cheated in one of my exams, I would feel SO guilty I'd end up telling the exam board lol! For example, the other day in work, I THOUGHT I'd given someone the wrong change (too much, by about 20p) I felt REALLY guilty for about a week.... LOL, that's pretty sad. I don't think I had given them the wrong change, looking back on it...

So, yeah, I've never cheated in an exam and I hope I never will.
hazzypants
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
never ever would.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
62.16%
No I haven't decided yet (48)
21.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed