The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who experiences this?

So if you have a partner you may be familiar with them having a certain scent. Like it’s the smell of their clothes or washing powder or perfume or deodorant etc and it is the most amazing scent on the planet. Here’s the thing. Once I had discovered my boyfriend’s “scent” and became familiar with it, it has become much more prominent and idk if anyone else has experienced this.
For example, I would sit with him in class before I had any emotional connection with him and wouldn’t notice what he smelled like (excuse how weird and creepy this may sound) especially since I obviously wasn’t right up against him. Since I became emotionally involved with him in a relationship, and have had closer physical contact with him I then noticed what he smelled like. Since then I’ve sat with him in class, still at the same appropriate distance as before but I would be sat there and all I can smell is his “scent” (it’s a certain washing powder btw. Nothing too strange) and I’m thinking is this because he’s happened to use more or something or because I am more sensitive to it than I was before especially since it triggers a lot of emotion and I have an attachment to it. Can someone who has any knowledge of this please share because I find it so interesting and am just curious.
It's natural for certain smells to trigger thoughts about things you associate them with and heighten your senses toward and your ability to identify that smell. It's not just with people, certain smells might remind you of a particular time in your life and make you feel sentimental, and it's a smell that you seem to pick up on easily. It can work the other way as well, there are certain perfumes I hate now because they remind me of my exes for example.
Reply 2
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
It's natural for certain smells to trigger thoughts about things you associate them with and heighten your senses toward and your ability to identify that smell. It's not just with people, certain smells might remind you of a particular time in your life and make you feel sentimental, and it's a smell that you seem to pick up on easily. It can work the other way as well, there are certain perfumes I hate now because they remind me of my exes for example.

Thank you. So it makes sense that it’s just heightened for me. I think it’s interesting how your senses and emotions are linked like that. It’s such a powerful thing how I can just be out and then will catch a smell of the same aroma and it will bring about all these feelings and just immediately remind me of him.
Original post by Anonymous
So if you have a partner you may be familiar with them having a certain scent. Like it’s the smell of their clothes or washing powder or perfume or deodorant etc and it is the most amazing scent on the planet. Here’s the thing. Once I had discovered my boyfriend’s “scent” and became familiar with it, it has become much more prominent and idk if anyone else has experienced this.
For example, I would sit with him in class before I had any emotional connection with him and wouldn’t notice what he smelled like (excuse how weird and creepy this may sound) especially since I obviously wasn’t right up against him. Since I became emotionally involved with him in a relationship, and have had closer physical contact with him I then noticed what he smelled like. Since then I’ve sat with him in class, still at the same appropriate distance as before but I would be sat there and all I can smell is his “scent” (it’s a certain washing powder btw. Nothing too strange) and I’m thinking is this because he’s happened to use more or something or because I am more sensitive to it than I was before especially since it triggers a lot of emotion and I have an attachment to it. Can someone who has any knowledge of this please share because I find it so interesting and am just curious.

I've noticed this with my fiance. I notice the way he smells, like his natural scent, a lot more than at the start of our relationship. It's comforting to smell so I think that's why I notice it, because it's a source of comfort. He makes me feel safe. Idk if it's the same with him tho.
Original post by Anonymous

Yh same except that I always notice people’s smells at the beginning... it just gets more familiar and comforting later (maybe because I have bad eyesight). You’re normal xx
This is common I think. It's also noticeable between parents and children. I can imagine what my mum smells like and what my dad smells like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending