dietpepsicolamax
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently looking for a new laptop (currently have a chromebook, but within 2 years the battery life is half of what it was when I first got it), and it needs to last me at least 4 years, if not more. I don't trust a chromebook to last me that long, so I want to invest money to ensure I get a quality product. I have had Windows laptops previously, but within 6 months they've slowed (even after defragging, etc.) or been stuck in an update loop for hours, making them not fit for purpose as a student who needs quick access to documents and the actual laptop itself. For that reason I am considering a Macbook but I'm not sold on them given how expensive they are compared to similar spec'd Windows machines. Its been over 2 years since I last used a Windows computer, so I wanted to know if more premium Windows laptops still have the lag and Decay issues that have plagued every Windows laptop I've ever had.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Windows decay is usually caused by logical inconsistencies inside the Registry.

Hence used to be able to be fixed by a fresh install about once a year.

Then “CCleaner” came out, and managed to do an excellent job at cleaning the carp out of system temp files & registry, then CCleaner was hacked by the professional state-level hackers, then they CC themselves, monetised the product into a perpetual scanner/badvert system.

Chromebooks can easily have their batteries replaced, £30?, they are excellent cloud machines, it helps to have a decent quad-core cpu & 4GB RAM and a 32GB pci-e SSD, some of the ASUS & acer machines are great for this. No virus worries, and only “Slurp” will know everything that you are thinking.

If you buy a refurb Lenovo X, T, W series from the ‘bay or the big river get an i5, Win10 isn’t too bad as an OS. You should turn-off all background indexing from the “about” pane of each HDD/SSD and install latest version of (free) CCleaner. www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Just ensure when you install that you turn-off all its smart monitoring, personalisation, updates, and use the classic cleaning , registry cleaning and especially start-up cleaning, disabling nearly everything except MSAV...

MacBooks, perfect for students, get last years’ MBA 8gb 128gb for £729 from uk refurb store, all the other MacBook have “biscuit crumb death keyboards”
IC3112
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Windows decay is usually caused by logical inconsistencies inside the Registry.

Hence used to be able to be fixed by a fresh install about once a year.

Then “CCleaner” came out, and managed to do an excellent job at cleaning the carp out of system temp files & registry, then CCleaner was hacked by the professional state-level hackers, then they CC themselves, monetised the product into a perpetual scanner/badvert system.

Chromebooks can easily have their batteries replaced, £30?, they are excellent cloud machines, it helps to have a decent quad-core cpu & 4GB RAM and a 32GB pci-e SSD, some of the ASUS & acer machines are great for this. No virus worries, and only “Slurp” will know everything that you are thinking.

If you buy a refurb Lenovo X, T, W series from the ‘bay or the big river get an i5, Win10 isn’t too bad as an OS. You should turn-off all background indexing from the “about” pane of each HDD/SSD and install latest version of (free) CCleaner. www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Just ensure when you install that you turn-off all its smart monitoring, personalisation, updates, and use the classic cleaning , registry cleaning and especially start-up cleaning, disabling nearly everything except MSAV...

MacBooks, perfect for students, get last years’ MBA 8gb 128gb for £729 from uk refurb store, all the other MacBook have “biscuit crumb death keyboards”
(Original post by dietpepsicolamax)
I'm currently looking for a new laptop (currently have a chromebook, but within 2 years the battery life is half of what it was when I first got it), and it needs to last me at least 4 years, if not more. I don't trust a chromebook to last me that long, so I want to invest money to ensure I get a quality product. I have had Windows laptops previously, but within 6 months they've slowed (even after defragging, etc.) or been stuck in an update loop for hours, making them not fit for purpose as a student who needs quick access to documents and the actual laptop itself. For that reason I am considering a Macbook but I'm not sold on them given how expensive they are compared to similar spec'd Windows machines. Its been over 2 years since I last used a Windows computer, so I wanted to know if more premium Windows laptops still have the lag and Decay issues that have plagued every Windows laptop I've ever had.
To add highlight to part of what the guy above me said, the SSD will make the biggest change to load times.
If you can, get an NVMe SSD in your new laptop, I've seen some good laptops with FHD screens, 8gb RAM, Ryzen 5 processors and a 256GB NVMe for around £550
(https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...81896-pdt.html)
All the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
10.45%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.49%
Finding the time to revise (6)
8.96%
Finding the motivation (14)
20.9%
Getting distracted (12)
17.91%
Procrastination (27)
40.3%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed