GCSE Results Day 2019: Retake and Remark Information! Watch

Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
GCSE Results Day 2019 - Retake and Remark Information

Hi everyone! :wavey:

GCSE Results Day isn’t too far away and many of you may be wondering what you need to do if your results aren’t what you were expecting. We’re all rooting for you to do well, but as with most exams, there will be some of you that unfortunately feel a little disheartened.

Some other GCSE-related threads have been created, so if you haven’t come across them yet, you might want to take a look!

If you’re unhappy with your results, the first thing we recommend that you do is talk to your teachers, as they are best suited to giving you tailored advice, as they’ve seen your progress and academic ability first hand. However, if you’re curious about remarks and retakes, or your teacher suggests one of them, then the details below should help you understand them better!

The purpose of this thread is to give you all the information you need if you’re considering getting a remark or retaking an exam. I'll try to cover as much as I can and I’ll focus on the most common questions that come up, but if you’re still a little bit stuck then feel free to comment, and one of us will get back to you.

Retakes

If you open your results and they’re lower than you expect, but you know you maybe didn’t spend enough time revising or you didn’t perform as well as you’d hoped in the exam, you might want to consider retaking the exam at the next opportunity.

English and Maths are the most common subjects to retake, as these are often required at a grade 4 or above for most further study/employment. If you achieve a grade 3, it’s highly likely that your school will advise you to retake; it’s therefore important to discuss your options with your school or college. Some schools and colleges are much more willing to let you retake your Maths and English than they are for other subjects - so make sure you ask them - though if you are able to progress to the course you wanted, perhaps you don’t need to retake?

When can I retake?
If you're 16 or over on the 31st August you can resit English and Maths in November 2019. Or you can wait until June 2020 when you are able to also retake any other subjects.

If I just did badly in one exam paper, can I retake that one?
Sadly not. Under the old exam system, you were able to pick and choose which you needed to retake, but that’s since changed. However, if you’ve done a piece of non-examination assessment (NEA), you may still be able to re-use that.

But I can still just retake the one subject?
Yes, you can keep the results for the subjects you're happy with, and just retake the ones you're not.

What if I do worse in the retake than my original exam?
There’s the possibility you won’t improve on your original grade however, you’ll receive two (or more) certificates, so essentially you can use the highest grade. Just bear in mind that if you apply to university, you’ll need to declare all of the grades you received for every retake.

If universities can see I did a retake, do they care?
If you’re applying to a competitive course, they’ll look closely at your grades to ensure you meet their requirements (for GCSE and A-level) and retakes can be frowned upon in this situation. However, for most other courses, they aren’t regarded as negatively.

How much does it cost?
If you’re a full time student and the retake is either Maths or English then your school/college will most likely pay for it. If you enter as a private candidate and do the retake independently, you’ll need to make sure you find an exam centre to sit the exams at, and this often comes with admin fees and exam fees that you’ll need to cover yourself.

Remarks

If you open your results and feel that the mark is incorrect and that you earned more marks than that, you can request a 'review of marking'. The deadline for this is 19th September.

What if the remark is worse than the original?
Regardless of how your mark changes, that will be the one you’re issued with, so bear it in mind that it can go down as well as up.

Do I have to get all of the units remarked, or can I just get one?
Unlike a retake, you can just put forward one unit (exam) for a remark. However, you cannot put forward an NEA as an individual, they can only be put forward as a whole cohort, hence this is extremely rare since all candidates must agree to this (risking lower grades).

How likely is it that my grade will change?
Marks only change if there’s a genuine reason, such as a marking error, therefore it’s important to discuss the exam with a teacher to decide if a remark is definitely the right choice. If you are close (eg. less than 5% of the raw marks) to the next boundary, it is more likely to be worth putting it in for a remark.

Can I get a NEA remarked?
NEAs that have been marked by your teacher and sent off as a sample for moderation can't be remarked individually. Your school or college can request for all of their controlled assessments to be remarked, but this is up to the centre and subject to all candidates agreeing the risk to their grade.

Can I request to see an exam script to help me decide?
Yes. You will need to ensure this is requested as a copy of the script, and as a priority copy of the script in order for it to be guaranteed return on time. You'll need to go through your school's exam office. Pearson/Edexcel make papers available at no cost and your school's exam office should be able to access your papers. For other boards your request needs to have reached the exam board by 31st August and your script should be returned by the 7th September. You then have until 19th September to ensure the board has received a request for a review of marks, if you decide to pursue that. Remember that the dates above are deadlines for the exam board to have received your request, so your institution needs to have sorted these well in advance.

What is a clerical check?
In a nutshell, it’s a recount of your marks to ensure none were missed. It’s unlikely that your grades will change because the questions are not remarked, so unless you are pretty certain that something has been missed, such as a whole page, a remark is probably a better option.

Do I have to pay?
To get a remark there is usually a fee, however if the grade changes then you’ll be reimbursed. The amount you’ll pay varies between centres and exam boards but the links below should help you work out what they’ll be:
- AQA
-Edexcel
- OCR
- WJEC

Good luck to everyone :hugs:
Last edited by Lemur14; 6 months ago
Beccaaa-
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lemur14)

GCSE Results Day isn’t too far away and many of you may be wondering what you need to do if your results aren’t what you were expecting. We’re all rooting for you to do well, but as with most exams, there will be some of you that unfortunately feel a little disheartened.

Some other GCSE-related threads have been created, so if you haven’t come across them yet, you might want to take a look!

If you’re unhappy with your results, the first thing we recommend that you do is talk to your teachers, as they are best suited to giving you tailored advice, as they’ve seen your progress and academic ability first hand. However, if you’re curious about remarks and retakes, or your teacher suggests one of them, then the details below should help you understand them better!

The purpose of this thread is to give you all the information you need if you’re considering getting a remark or retaking an exam. I'll try to cover as much as I can and I’ll focus on the most common questions that come up, but if you’re still a little bit stuck then feel free to comment, and one of us will get back to you.

Retakes

If you open your results and they’re lower than you expect, but you know you maybe didn’t spend enough time revising or you didn’t perform as well as you’d hoped in the exam, you might want to consider retaking the exam at the next opportunity.

English and Maths are the most common subjects to retake, as these are often required at a grade 4 or above for most further study/employment. If you achieve a grade 3, it’s highly likely that your school will advise you to retake; it’s therefore important to discuss your options with your school or college. Some schools and colleges are much more willing to let you retake your Maths and English than they are for other subjects - so make sure you ask them - though if you are able to progress to the course you wanted, perhaps you don’t need to retake?

When can I retake?
If you're 16 or over on the 31st August you can resit English and Maths in November 2019. Or you can wait until June 2020 when you are able to also retake any other subjects.

Sadly not. Under the old exam system, you were able to pick and choose which you needed to retake, but that’s since changed. However, if you’ve done a piece of non-examination assessment (NEA), you may still be able to re-use that.

Yes, you can keep the results for the subjects you're happy with, and just retake the ones you're not.

There’s the possibility you won’t improve on your original grade however, you’ll receive two (or more) certificates, so essentially you can use the highest grade. Just bear in mind that if you apply to university, you’ll need to declare all of the grades you received for every retake.

If you’re applying to a competitive course, they’ll look closely at your grades to ensure you meet their requirements (for GCSE and A-level) and retakes can be frowned upon in this situation. However, for most other courses, they aren’t regarded as negatively.

How much does it cost?
If you’re a full time student and the retake is either Maths or English then your school/college will most likely pay for it. If you enter as a private candidate and do the retake independently, you’ll need to make sure you find an exam centre to sit the exams at, and this often comes with admin fees and exam fees that you’ll need to cover yourself.

Remarks

If you open your results and feel that the mark is incorrect and that you earned more marks than that, you can request a 'review of marking'. The deadline for this is 19th September.

Regardless of how your mark changes, that will be the one you’re issued with, so bear it in mind that it can go down as well as up.

Unlike a retake, you can just put forward one unit (exam) for a remark. However, you cannot put forward an NEA as an individual, they can only be put forward as a whole cohort, hence this is extremely rare since all candidates must agree to this (risking lower grades).

Marks only change if there’s a genuine reason, such as a marking error, therefore it’s important to discuss the exam with a teacher to decide if a remark is definitely the right choice. If you are close (eg. less than 5% of the raw marks) to the next boundary, it is more likely to be worth putting it in for a remark.

NEAs that have been marked by your teacher and sent off as a sample for moderation can't be remarked individually. Your school or college can request for all of their controlled assessments to be remarked, but this is up to the centre and subject to all candidates agreeing the risk to their grade.

Yes. You will need to ensure this is requested as a copy of the script, and as a priority copy of the script in order for it to be guaranteed return on time. You'll need to go through your school's exam office. Pearson/Edexcel make papers available at no cost and your school's exam office should be able to access your papers. For other boards your request needs to have reached the exam board by 31st August and your script should be returned by the 7th September. You then have until 19th September to ensure the board has received a request for a review of marks, if you decide to pursue that. Remember that the dates above are deadlines for the exam board to have received your request, so your institution needs to have sorted these well in advance.

In a nutshell, it’s a recount of your marks to ensure none were missed. It’s unlikely that your grades will change because the questions are not remarked, so unless you are pretty certain that something has been missed, such as a whole page, a remark is probably a better option.

Do I have to pay?
To get a remark there is usually a fee, however if the grade changes then you’ll be reimbursed. The amount you’ll pay varies between centres and exam boards but the links below should help you work out what they’ll be:
- AQA
-Edexcel
- OCR
- WJEC

Thanks! This is really good to know! x
MkmoU1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Retakes

When can I retake?

How much does it cost?

Remarks

Do I have to pay?
- AQA
-Edexcel
- OCR
- WJEC

Thanks you
itsactuallyCOCO
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I still haven't received my remarks, is there a reason for this?
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by itsactuallyCOCO)
I still haven't received my remarks, is there a reason for this?
By the exam board's deadlines, all remarks should be back by this Thursday. I would recommend contacting your exams officer, the chances are it is back but hasn't made it's way to you just yet especially if they put in a lot of remarks!
sufy12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there, I was 3 marks off a grade 4 in English language.

What kind of review remark should i go for?

Should i go for a clerical recheck only, or a review of marking too?

I'm confused. If anybody could help me out, it'd be much appreciated.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by sufy12)
Hi there, I was 3 marks off a grade 4 in English language.

What kind of review remark should i go for?

Should i go for a clerical recheck only, or a review of marking too?

I'm confused. If anybody could help me out, it'd be much appreciated.
A clerical check just checks they marked all the questions and added the marks together correctly. A review of marking checks the marking is in the correct band (basically that the marks are nearly correct according to the second marker). Unless you were expecting a lot more marks (then a clerical check would be reasonable), then a review of marking would be likely your best bet, and they do a clerical check within the review of marking too so that's included Talk to your teachers if you aren't sure, they know you best!
sufy12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  IMG_20200117_112219-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  37.0 KB

What does the number under board mean? are those my total marks?
Last edited by sufy12; 1 month ago
Lemur14
Rep:
?

Could be, did you get a 3?
sufy12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could be, did you get a 3?
Yeah a grade 3, but my tutor said i got 76 marks in total. Could this be a mistake from the exam board?

I got 41 marks for paper 1, and 35 marks for paper 2.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Yeah a grade 3, but my tutor said i got 76 marks in total. Could this be a mistake from the exam board?

I got 41 marks for paper 1, and 35 marks for paper 2.
Your tutor is probably correct, I would imagine in that case it's a code for the exam board to say it's an AQA exam or something. It's certainly not something that's usually on a results slip so your school must have added it.
sufy12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your tutor is probably correct, I would imagine in that case it's a code for the exam board to say it's an AQA exam or something. It's certainly not something that's usually on a results slip so your school must have added it.
Yeah, it's probably the college's
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

No. 70 is the code for AQA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?