The Student Room Group

appreciation and self worth

i’ve been feeling like crap lately and part of me thinks it’s because i’ve forgotten my self worth lately. i’ve relied on other people for me to feel appreciated and i’ve forgotten how to show love to myself and feel independent.

how do y’all spend time appreciating yourself and realising your self worth? i don’t know where to start and i feel completely lost.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
i’ve been feeling like crap lately and part of me thinks it’s because i’ve forgotten my self worth lately. i’ve relied on other people for me to feel appreciated and i’ve forgotten how to show love to myself and feel independent.

how do y’all spend time appreciating yourself and realising your self worth? i don’t know where to start and i feel completely lost.

Well, realising that your self worth is not determined by others is a start, so you're already halfway there. But otherwise, begin by focusing on your strengths and what you're good at, and think about how society can benefit from these skills, and think deep.

E.g. an artist creates beauty, and beauty is what helps people connect with the reality around them and help them appreciate the world. An artist also can use their skills to get these hood rats off the streets, as many of these gang youth are very talented at art, so an artist speaks to them. You want to think like this, because when you do, you start seeing your place in society and all the good you can do, and from there it will teach you what you're worth, and what you can be worth. And the most worthwhile of people are the one's whose existence benefits society.
Reply 2
Honestly, for me it was getting to know myself.

Relying on other people's validation is one thing, but coming comfortable with yourself and accepting who you are is another ball game entirely!

I basically began by trying new clothing styles. I always wore black and was just generally not comfortable or confident enough to wear anything else. On a good day I would take a mirror picture of myself because I felt I looked GOOD.

I never posted anything or asked anybody else but as I experimented and just generally started on the journey to find out what I loved, I began to love myself.

I can't give any professional advice, or provide you with something that is a single fix for everybody, but this was something that worked wonders for me.

Experiment and learn what you love about yourself.
Original post by Anonymous

People will judge no matter what you do. If you're placing your self worth on others, who's first obligation is self preservation, you will not feel good about yourself. I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but the truth is, no one really cares about anyone, unless they're of some kind of value or threat- most people are invisible. I went through a long phase of not feeling good about myself and I adopted a victim mentality throughout that phase. The way I got out of it, was through affirmations and setting myself small goals to accomplish. Your brain needs proof that you're capable of handling the world and that's exactly what you need to set out to get. Push yourself out of your comfort zone and do something (safe and legal) that you never thought you would before. For me, it was getting up and going to the gym (this was tough for me as I was suffering from social anxiety). Set yourself small achievable tasks and as you accomplish what you've set out to do, your confidence will grow organically. Repeat affirmations every morning and every night. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest