Revision methods?? Watch

SteveWaters
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey! So since school is 2 weeks away (unfortunately 😭) I want to know how I can revise when school starts.
Honestly, I never revised for tests due to the fact that I was always the 'smart one' and i relied on that and always got great results on my tests, I struggled with how to revise for my National 5 exams and barely did any revision (I will mention how I revised later on) since now I'm starting highers after the summer I want to try and revise along the way cause I've heard that revising along the way is much better than barely doing anything and cramming at the end.

I'm not sure if study methods depends on subjects but these are the highers I'm taking:
Maths,
English,
Biology,
Chemistry
and Computing science.

For my Nat 5 exams I revised by making very quick mind maps on each topic a couple days before each exam, for English I made flashcards for quotes and memorized them. And that was pretty much it I guess I was pretty laid back since I am predicted all A's in my subjects.

Also if possible could you throw in some Close reading (Reading for Understanding, Analysis and evaluation) Tips as I hate that part of English

Sorry it's long!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by SteveWaters; 2 weeks ago
ikra10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally, practice papers are the best way to revise and ensure that all the knowledge you have learnt is solidified and taken in through his questions.
Another technique may be reading what you are revising out loud, or teaching someone else!!
SteveWaters
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ikra10)
Personally, practice papers are the best way to revise and ensure that all the knowledge you have learnt is solidified and taken in through his questions.
Another technique may be reading what you are revising out loud, or teaching someone else!!
Thank you! I used past papers in class and they were really good! I also used them at home I guess i forgot to mention them lol, i have little brother maybe i can teach him a few things😂😂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
leavemeblank
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't be too work-focused in August/September unless you really feel you have to - it's important to get a good balance between study and having fun and being social. I did all your subjects apart from Computing Science so I can't help you with that one. For me, how you study depends on the subject. The pinnacle of everything though is asking for help ASAP when required. It is so much harder to get an A at Higher than Nat 5, the jump is massive.

For Maths, I'd be making sure I'm up to date with classwork, finishing the day's exercises at home. At the end of the topic, make brief summary notes on the topic and go attempt some past paper questions on highermaths.co.uk. You can add to your notes by the time you get there. Just make sure you're doing constant past paper practice... even if you can't do a full paper do some questions you can.

For Chemistry/Biology, take things topic by topic, again. Once you've done a topic, I'd compare your notes to the course specification available on the SQA website. Make sure you're knowledgeable of everything that's required on there and if you aren't, do some reading and ask for help. Whilst learning that topic, try past paper questions - all you need to do is find the most recent papers and you'll easy enough find questions related to the topic. Or even better, your school might provide 'question banks', etc. Any mistakes you're making or things you're not remembering, maybe try flashcards or posters to get these into your head. For me for the sciences, something I found really helpful was trying to condense topics onto a page, using the least words as possible. Also, the calculations in Higher Chemistry are LOTS and HARD so the more questions of them you can do the better!

For English, I have to admit I hardly studied and left everything to the last minute. Spend so much time on your folio, it can always be better!! For RUAE, make sure you are 100% crystal clear how you get marks for the different questions and how they are marked. Just keep doing practice papers and get them marked by a teacher. You really need to use your teachers a lot in English. There's lots of helpful guides and stuff online for how to answer the different question types if you do some searching. For your scottish texts, make use of past paper marking schemes and make sure you have amazing annotations of your text(s). I found English (exams anyway) was less about skill but more about 'playing the game' and knowing how you'll pick up those marks. For Critical essays, if you can get a few good essays memorised and down, it's super easy to walk in with 18-20/20. Try lots of past paper essay questions and get them marked by your teacher until they are like 18-20/20 standard and just memorise quotes and analysis. Google quotes and stuff for extra analysis. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS link back to the question and do it STRONGLY!

Hope at least something here is slightly helpful! Good luck, fifth year is painful but it flies in! If there's anything specific I can help with more, feel free to send me a message!
SteveWaters
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by leavemeblank)
Don't be too work-focused in August/September unless you really feel you have to - it's important to get a good balance between study and having fun and being social. I did all your subjects apart from Computing Science so I can't help you with that one. For me, how you study depends on the subject. The pinnacle of everything though is asking for help ASAP when required. It is so much harder to get an A at Higher than Nat 5, the jump is massive.

For Maths, I'd be making sure I'm up to date with classwork, finishing the day's exercises at home. At the end of the topic, make brief summary notes on the topic and go attempt some past paper questions on highermaths.co.uk. You can add to your notes by the time you get there. Just make sure you're doing constant past paper practice... even if you can't do a full paper do some questions you can.

For Chemistry/Biology, take things topic by topic, again. Once you've done a topic, I'd compare your notes to the course specification available on the SQA website. Make sure you're knowledgeable of everything that's required on there and if you aren't, do some reading and ask for help. Whilst learning that topic, try past paper questions - all you need to do is find the most recent papers and you'll easy enough find questions related to the topic. Or even better, your school might provide 'question banks', etc. Any mistakes you're making or things you're not remembering, maybe try flashcards or posters to get these into your head. For me for the sciences, something I found really helpful was trying to condense topics onto a page, using the least words as possible. Also, the calculations in Higher Chemistry are LOTS and HARD so the more questions of them you can do the better!

For English, I have to admit I hardly studied and left everything to the last minute. Spend so much time on your folio, it can always be better!! For RUAE, make sure you are 100% crystal clear how you get marks for the different questions and how they are marked. Just keep doing practice papers and get them marked by a teacher. You really need to use your teachers a lot in English. There's lots of helpful guides and stuff online for how to answer the different question types if you do some searching. For your scottish texts, make use of past paper marking schemes and make sure you have amazing annotations of your text(s). I found English (exams anyway) was less about skill but more about 'playing the game' and knowing how you'll pick up those marks. For Critical essays, if you can get a few good essays memorised and down, it's super easy to walk in with 18-20/20. Try lots of past paper essay questions and get them marked by your teacher until they are like 18-20/20 standard and just memorise quotes and analysis. Google quotes and stuff for extra analysis. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS link back to the question and do it STRONGLY!

Hope at least something here is slightly helpful! Good luck, fifth year is painful but it flies in! If there's anything specific I can help with more, feel free to send me a message!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate this, this is amazing and I will 100% apply these methods
itsrobynleslie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ikra10)
Yeah I agree I just did my GCSEs and past papers are the way to go, they help you understand the style of questions asked and allow you to identify specific areas they focus on. Also for the english, I like to find audio versions of whatever is being read as it helps me understand the poem or extract better Idk if that's just me but its what I recommend. Yeah im doing highers and A levels this year and i would definitely recommend making good revision recourses now so that you have time before the exam to just go over them rather than making new ones!! Hope this helps x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (15)
16.3%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (13)
14.13%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (23)
25%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (34)
36.96%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.09%
No particular grades needed (6)
6.52%