The Student Room Group

what college should i choose in oxford as med student?

hi...i want to ask something...i want to apply for medicine in oxford but im not sure what college would fit me...the things that really bother me is, lets say im applying for keble college, as far as i know, the accommodation in this college can be for 3 years..but inlcluding clinical study is 6 years..is that mean that i should rent a house outside of college for my year 4-6? or the student may allocated to different college? thank you.
Original post by jay kayy
hi...i want to ask something...i want to apply for medicine in oxford but im not sure what college would fit me...the things that really bother me is, lets say im applying for keble college, as far as i know, the accommodation in this college can be for 3 years..but inlcluding clinical study is 6 years..is that mean that i should rent a house outside of college for my year 4-6? or the student may allocated to different college? thank you.

Hi @jay kayy My son is studying medicine at Oxford and is living in a house with other med students from years 4-6. You will be mostly in your clinical years and will be moving from hospital to hospital. Some of these are not in Oxford, so you will not really be based there anyway.

my son is quite independent and does not need a college (just wants to be with friends and likes to cook.)

But if you are really worried about being in halls in years 4-6, why not check out this beauty, Green Templeton college?

https://www.gtc.ox.ac.uk/students/how-to-apply/courses-offered/

They have medical places only for people on their second medical degree, ie years 4-6.

So don't worry about that. The real thing you should be worried about is how to get into Oxford medicine in the first place. Good luck and any further questions you have, just ask.

When you join the next 3 years you reapply including the possibility of going to London. You can't be rejected from Oxford any more. You can choose to change college here if you want - some colleges don't offer clinical medicine (don't know about Keble) so you have to change, some do offer it but you can choose to change anyway. Green is the biggest clinical medics college so lots go there.

Once you are at your college you are treated as a graduate on a graduate-entry course. So you will have access to the graduate accommodation. At some colleges e.g. Merton this is again guaranteed 3 year accommodation. At others there is very little accommodation.

Living out can have its upsides though - for clinical you will be mostly based at the JR in Headington - that's about a 45 minute walk from the centre, or a majorly uphill bike ride. So living in a house in Headington which might be just 10 minutes away is what lots choose to do.

As mentioned, you will have lots of placements in other cities too - you are given hospital accommodation for these.

Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi @jay kayy My son is studying medicine at Oxford and is living in a house with other med students from years 4-6. You will be mostly in your clinical years and will be moving from hospital to hospital. Some of these are not in Oxford, so you will not really be based there anyway.

my son is quite independent and does not need a college (just wants to be with friends and likes to cook.)

But if you are really worried about being in halls in years 4-6, why not check out this beauty, Green Templeton college?

https://www.gtc.ox.ac.uk/students/how-to-apply/courses-offered/

They have medical places only for people on their second medical degree, ie years 4-6.

So don't worry about that. The real thing you should be worried about is how to get into Oxford medicine in the first place. Good luck and any further questions you have, just ask.

I don't think Green offers much in the way of accommodation though does it? Most at that college were living out. I can't say for sure though.

Most students live out during clinical years - with friends etc...

Original post by nexttime

I don't think Green offers much in the way of accommodation though does it? Most at that college were living out. I can't say for sure though.

yes from what I know accommodation is pretty limited at Green! I think it is like one block of 'flats' (and not a particularly big block at that)
Thanks for this info.

You should always check with individual colleges about accommodation.

But it may not come to that if you spend your clinical years in London. Looks like they may give you accommodation in hospital or like my son you can live in a student house

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending