No tuition fee or maintenance loan! Watch

JbAngel123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi Everyone

I started a 2-year foundation degree in Spa management at the University of Derby in 2017 and have now completed the course and will be graduating in November. Doing the 2 years in this course has left me with mixed feeling about the industry that my degree is based in, so I have decided to do a BA Top-up course in business (1 yearlong) at Manchester metropolitan university to give me more options about future career choices. I was a bit late in applying for student finance this year due to some stressful personal issues back at home. After applying it said I'll be entitled up to £9,250 tuition fee for the university and only £3,875 for maintenance loan which is very low to what I got in my first and second year at university, but I knew I needed to wait at least 6 weeks to find out what I’m actually entitled to. I logged into my student finance account yesterday to find that I will not be entitled to nothing. There reason being “I’m studying for a qualification that’s equivalent or lower than a qualification I already have. Which is false! My Foundation degree is Level 4 & 5, the course I plan on doing in Manchester is a BA course and is Level 6. I called student finance which the lady I spoke said it may just be an error on their behalf as I have only done 2 years at uni so she has put a request in and said I should see an update on my account in 5 working days. I am just wondering has this happened to anyone else and If it got sorted? This year has been very rubbish, so I was really looking forward to doing this course and moving to Manchester for a fresh start in my life and now all this happening which has left me feeling really on edge as I have no plan B. I live away from home in student accommodation, I only work twice a week when at university and my mum (only parent) is currently unemployed so I don’t know what I have done wrong when I filled out my application. But then again It could just be a mistake from student finance like the lady. Could it be I’m doing a different course at a different university? I’m just freaking out because I have a month to get all this sorted.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thank you.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JbAngel123)
Hi Everyone

I started a 2-year foundation degree in Spa management at the University of Derby in 2017 and have now completed the course and will be graduating in November. Doing the 2 years in this course has left me with mixed feeling about the industry that my degree is based in, so I have decided to do a BA Top-up course in business (1 yearlong) at Manchester metropolitan university to give me more options about future career choices. I was a bit late in applying for student finance this year due to some stressful personal issues back at home. After applying it said I'll be entitled up to £9,250 tuition fee for the university and only £3,875 for maintenance loan which is very low to what I got in my first and second year at university, but I knew I needed to wait at least 6 weeks to find out what I’m actually entitled to. I logged into my student finance account yesterday to find that I will not be entitled to nothing. There reason being “I’m studying for a qualification that’s equivalent or lower than a qualification I already have. Which is false! My Foundation degree is Level 4 & 5, the course I plan on doing in Manchester is a BA course and is Level 6. I called student finance which the lady I spoke said it may just be an error on their behalf as I have only done 2 years at uni so she has put a request in and said I should see an update on my account in 5 working days. I am just wondering has this happened to anyone else and If it got sorted? This year has been very rubbish, so I was really looking forward to doing this course and moving to Manchester for a fresh start in my life and now all this happening which has left me feeling really on edge as I have no plan B. I live away from home in student accommodation, I only work twice a week when at university and my mum (only parent) is currently unemployed so I don’t know what I have done wrong when I filled out my application. But then again It could just be a mistake from student finance like the lady. Could it be I’m doing a different course at a different university? I’m just freaking out because I have a month to get all this sorted.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thank you.
You are correct. they are wrong and try not to panic.
I assume this was the first time you used student finance?

Funding starts at degree+1.
As you dont mention anything else then you have used 2 years, which puts your funding status at degree-1.
As you say a foundation degree is equivalent to the first 2 years and levels 4 and 5.
The top up will be 6.

You do know as your funding was at -1 you could also have applied to normal degree courses, but from year 2 onwards. i.e if you had wanted you could have tried for a 2 year sort of top up via transfer? Just in case you fancied studying for 2 rather than one year for more knowledge and a longer uni experience.

The low maint fee is the default they give everyone if they havent processed or feel they havent confirmed all documents.

Post it here as well.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
JbAngel123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You are correct. they are wrong and try not to panic.
I assume this was the first time you used student finance?

Funding starts at degree+1.
As you dont mention anything else then you have used 2 years, which puts your funding status at degree-1.
As you say a foundation degree is equivalent to the first 2 years and levels 4 and 5.
The top up will be 6.

You do know as your funding was at -1 you could also have applied to normal degree courses, but from year 2 onwards. i.e if you had wanted you could have tried for a 2 year sort of top up via transfer? Just in case you fancied studying for 2 rather than one year for more knowledge and a longer uni experience.

The low maint fee is the default they give everyone if they havent processed or feel they havent confirmed all documents.

Post it here as well.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
Thank you so much! Your reply has been very reassuring and I feel little less on edge. I'll let you know in 5 days what they say after my application has been reaccessed. Thank you again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (138)
13.48%
Excited (93)
9.08%
Worried (193)
18.85%
Terrified (234)
22.85%
Meh (78)
7.62%
Confused (29)
2.83%