J_Smith23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello, i have recently started my history 4000 word essay/coursework. My question is ' Pitt the Younger was a successful wartime leader, HFDYA?', but i cant find any historians to back up my sources and i don't really know how to structure/write the essay. Can any help or have any ideas?
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Have a look at books which discuss him a simple google search will do, for example:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false
With the structure of the course work you need to have at least 3 authors/historians whose argument you can explore. It’s can be two that agree on that doesn’t or the other way around. You must effectively show why they come to the conclusion they do about the your topic. Using what they say you need to highlight what and how this supports your argument or counters it
Last edited by I AM GROOT 1; 5 months ago
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
*one
J_Smith23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
Have a look at books which discuss him a simple google search will do, for example:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false
With the structure of the course work you need to have at least 3 authors/historians whose argument you can explore. It’s can be two that agree on that doesn’t or the other way around. You must effectively show why they come to the conclusion they do about the your topic. Using what they say you need to highlight what and how this supports your argument or counters it
Hello,
thank you for this. i have tried writing my first paragraph but it just does not seem to work

'Pitt played an important part in supporting the war effort through his leadership and speeches, which he used to boost the army and navy’s moral. Additionally his confidence and belief in the support of the government encouraged the British to unite behind him. A painting by Karl Anton Hickel (1745-1798) demonstrated this strength and confidence where it portrays the House of Commons with William Pitt the Younger as the only standing. The painting was finished in late 1793/early 1794 after the Brits had faced a defeat where the French had reclaimed Toulon in December. After this painting was made, in 1794, Britain managed to claim a couple of large victories including a navy victory in July against France in the English Channel. This painting revealed how Pitt would not give up easily and how he would fight with everything he had to keep Britain safe as he is portrayed as standing up to the rest of parliament.'

should i restart or just continue,
Many thanks,
J
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by J_Smith23)
Hello,
thank you for this. i have tried writing my first paragraph but it just does not seem to work

'Pitt played an important part in supporting the war effort through his leadership and speeches, which he used to boost the army and navy’s moral. Additionally his confidence and belief in the support of the government encouraged the British to unite behind him. A painting by Karl Anton Hickel (1745-1798) demonstrated this strength and confidence where it portrays the House of Commons with William Pitt the Younger as the only standing. The painting was finished in late 1793/early 1794 after the Brits had faced a defeat where the French had reclaimed Toulon in December. After this painting was made, in 1794, Britain managed to claim a couple of large victories including a navy victory in July against France in the English Channel. This painting revealed how Pitt would not give up easily and how he would fight with everything he had to keep Britain safe as he is portrayed as standing up to the rest of parliament.'

should i restart or just continue,
Many thanks,
J
Within the paragraph there is way too much context about the actual painting. You need to focus on the argument at had; how does it prove that he was a Great Wartime hero?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (75)
14.94%
1 (69)
13.75%
2 (65)
12.95%
20.52%
20.32%
5 (88)
17.53%

Watched Threads