ALevelCompSci
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Let's say the government intervenes to reduce market failure by providing a subsidy to a firm.
How could this make the firm less efficient and why?

Any answers appreciated
JammyDodger721
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A subsidy can make a firm less efficient because firms when receiving a subsidy may not use that money in any way to actually improve the quality or quantity of the product and get lazy as they can use the money from the subsidy as a crutch for a firm's shortcomings.

If the firm your talking about is also a monopoly this may even be worse as a monopoly doesn't need to improve as a firm since they have market control and will simply sit on the profits since they don't have any competition to drive them to improve.

Though, you could evaluate your point in an essay and state that a subsidy may increase the efficiency of firms since the money can be invested into technological innovation or higher working wages in order to increase the efficiency of firms to produce more.

Note that if the government fails to correct market failure such as this subsidy example, this is referred to as government failure
idk01
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are loads of credible generic points you could say for this, some mentioned above.
Others include:
- the subsidy isn't large enough
- with the extra money they pay 'overpay' workers (paying more than what's most efficient)

The main one would be that the firm doesn't use it to make their production more efficient; a good evaluation point could be that e.g. the government give the firm the subsidy provided that the subsidy is used for research & development
ALevelCompSci
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed