learning to drive Watch

Aspire
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
o.k so i have 2 questions
1. i have between now and the end of august to learn to drive is this sufficient time and how many lessons would i need?
2.how much would it cost, on aerage?
Bavarian Motor Works
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aspire)
o.k so i have 2 questions
1. i have between now and the end of august to learn to drive is this sufficient time and how many lessons would i need?
2.how much would it cost, on aerage?
How long is a piece of string? ( double half its length but you get the idea)

Different people different times, yes its sufficent not its not ,

It can cost you £100- its can cost you £1000
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it can be. the average is somewhere between 10 and 20 lessons, at an average cost of £18-22 for an hour.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends if you're a quick learner or not I guess. My friend has been taking lessons for a year, including driving with parents, and still hasn't passed.
Lisaanne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think you'll find the average amount of lessons needed to pass is around 30 if you've never driven before, and obviously you need to book your test which can take around a month to get a date, so you're gonna have to take about 3 or 4 lessons a week, and get started pretty quick on your theory.
Where cost is concerned, yeah prices can be anything from £18-£25 per lesson, then you have to pay for your tests.
Radicool
Report 11 years ago
How many lessons you need also depends on how much practice you get elsewhere (driving you parents car etc).
Officer Dibble
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lodzinski)
it can be. the average is somewhere between 10 and 20 lessons, at an average cost of £18-22 for an hour.
Really? I'm in a similar situation and I thought it was generally between 20 and 30 lessons.
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
depends on the test centre, instructor, innate ability etc, but it took me just over ten, and the average in my area for my friends is rarey over 20-25.
eulerwaswrong
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
average number of lessons about 15 - yet i still now some poeple who have had like 30 lessons!!!!!

it depends if you go driving with your parents aswell, how quickly you take to it, we can only give you averages
jam_man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
An average is just that - an average.
To make an average you need people that pass in a couple of lessons and some that take 75 lessons.
You keep going until you feel you are going to be a relatively safe driver and of course pass the test
Kerry350
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You might be able to, with say 2 lessons a week. I had almost 40 lessons, but I wasn't great. And it costs, normally, between £18 - 25 per lesson.
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my friend managed to pass in less than 6 months, only having a lesson once every 2 weeks!
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yet the range is between 5 - 45 lessons, so average is no use in the context tbh!
dairynuts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you'll never be able do it by the end of august, unless your already an experienced driver or take a week intensive course. when i started learning to drive i wanted to have passed my test in around 6 months from when i started,that was about average from everyone i knew who had passed and its now a year later i still havn't passed. i've had over 40 lessons and 3 driving tests. if your going to learn 2 drive from scratch make sure you've got at least 5/6 months free to do it. If your an experienced driver and can practise at home or with parents then it may be possible to pass by august, baring in mind that test waiting lists are 5 - 8 weeks at some test centres.
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AMG)
Yet the range is between 5 - 45 lessons, so average is no use in the context tbh!
averages depend on how you interpret them. statistics are always useful, you just need to know the details. the majority of people pass in around 10-25 lessons. with no knowledge of the OP's current driving ability, innate ability (nervousness etc), local test centre etc, one cannot give more accurate advice than suggesting the general pattern.
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
averages depend on how you interpret them. statistics are always useful, you just need to know the details. the majority of people pass in around 10-25 lessons. with no knowledge of the OP's current driving ability, innate ability (nervousness etc), local test centre etc, one cannot give more accurate advice than suggesting the general pattern.
exactly, yet even the general pattern is too much of a rough measure, best of asking your instructor actually!
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the OP asks for help, I try to help, you want to debate this futilely or just not clutter the thread up?
emma_wemma
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No of lessons; Your age + 10 on average.

Price; shop around - use your student discount and it's worth buying in blocks 'cos it works out cheaper.

Good luck

x
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For me, I was close to 40 lessons, and it took me almost a year, because I only had 1 lesson a week and didn't have extra driving practice for most of the time. There's a guy who lives near me who did it in two weeks of intensive lessons, he booked his test before he even started learning. Saying that, guess which one crashed into the corner of a pub while pissed off his face and got a 13 month driving ban?
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
Saying that, guess which one crashed into the corner of a pub while pissed off his face and got a 13 month driving ban?
You?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads