The Student Room Group

Help me choose my referees!! (undergraduate law)

I'm graduating from my french high school (lycée) in June 2020 and I'm currently applying to study law at Oxford, UCL, LSE, KCL and Bristol. I don't know which subject teachers I should ask for a reference... does it matter?

The only teachers that know me well are:

- My math teacher from 2 years ago and he'll be my math teacher this last coming year too :smile: (he however already wrote me some months ago a really strong recommendation later to a competitive STEM summer school and I got rejected lol so I feel it's too much to ask him for another one again)

- My math teacher from last year (by last year, I mean the school year before this summer so 2018-2019)

- My French teacher from last year (french here is obviously taught as a first language so it's literature and advanced stuff... not french as a second language)

- My "economics and social sciences" teacher from the past 2 years (also the coming year)

- My "history and geography" teacher from last year

So who should I pick? :s-smilie:
It's difficult as law is obviously a new subject so you won't have a law teacher to write the reference. However, do any of them know you generally and not only through the subject? a form/homeroom teacher may be a way to go as they'll know about your general success, not only in one subject! Out of the ones you've written, it may be that the french teacher is the way to go, as you're applying for a subject dependent on similar skills to literature (law will have essays, analysis, etc) so that may be your best bet!

Hope that helps!!
Reply 2
Original post by Rungirlrun!!
It's difficult as law is obviously a new subject so you won't have a law teacher to write the reference. However, do any of them know you generally and not only through the subject? a form/homeroom teacher may be a way to go as they'll know about your general success, not only in one subject! Out of the ones you've written, it may be that the french teacher is the way to go, as you're applying for a subject dependent on similar skills to literature (law will have essays, analysis, etc) so that may be your best bet!

Hope that helps!!

None of my teachers know me much outside the classroom but of course, I could tell them more about me so they have some more things to include. I see why you picked the French teacher but the thing is we also write lots of essays in history, geography, economics and social sciences. In maths, we don't write essays but it's the subject in which I excel the most (full mark). So all that makes it even harder to select which teacher :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending