How do I write about my "main skills" when I don't have any qualifications yet? Watch

Taran29
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm 16, post-year 11 and waiting on my GCSE results. I'm trying to write a CV for an IT apprenticeship but I don't understand how I'm meant to prove that I actually have the skills that I'm writing about because I don't have any work experience or qualifications to prove it.

I'd say I'm definitely IT oriented. Computers are intuitive to me and I found GCSE Computer Science to be a walk in the park. But all of my knowledge comes from my own free time and curiosity. Not from education. So it's hard to show that I have any actual skills in IT and not just an interest in the field.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
have you been part of any clubs at school or outside that could show resiliance/team work/organisation etc? talk about the IT work you have done outside of school, say its a personal project, or find online courses on websites like edX and open learn and you can write them on your CV!
Taran29
Rep:
?
(Original post by nintysixthousand)
have you been part of any clubs at school or outside that could show resiliance/team work/organisation etc? talk about the IT work you have done outside of school, say its a personal project, or find online courses on websites like edX and open learn and you can write them on your CV!
Nope. No extra curricular activities. I'll try those tips, thanks.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is it possible to leave writing it until after you've got GCSEs back, so that you actually have tangible evidence on top?

If you know any coding languages relatively well you can just put "proficient [insert language of choice here]". The guy reading the CV ain't gonna go "haha no he ****ing doesn't".
Taran29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Is it possible to leave writing it until after you've got GCSEs back, so that you actually have tangible evidence on top?

If you know any coding languages relatively well you can just put "proficient [insert language of choice here]". The guy reading the CV ain't gonna go "haha no he ****ing doesn't".
I don't get my results back until the 22nd. It would be ideal but i don't want to leave it too late as someone else may get the job.

I used Python for my Computer Science NEA so I'll mention it. What would you class as "relatively well"?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%