mediclyfe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Really want some advice, I got an offer for edinburgh uni accom but Im really not happy with it for a number of reasons (more so the room/flat, rather than the actual block) and I'm considering private student accomodation but I know that most aren't exclusive to university of Edinburgh students and I was wondering would that make much of a difference? Is it preferable to stay in student accommodation for first year surrounded with UofE students? Is there a difference or downside to staying with those from other unis and colleges? I was looking at places like iQ student accom and Potterrow student acc but I know that all university and college students in Edinburgh can apply there and wanted to know if it would a difference to the social aspect of Freshers/meeting ppl etc?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What is wrong with the room/flat?
You can always be put on a waiting list to move

I stayed in uni accomodation first year and it meant everyone in my flat was a uni student so we had the same fresher's events which we could all attend together if we wanted to (non-uni students can attend I believe, but if they have their own fresher's at their uni they may not to and may be inclined to go to other events at the begining of the year). If you have classes together or on the same campus then you could walk together. Not much else I can think of otherwise
mediclyfe
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
What is wrong with the room/flat?
You can always be put on a waiting list to move

I stayed in uni accomodation first year and it meant everyone in my flat was a uni student so we had the same fresher's events which we could all attend together if we wanted to (non-uni students can attend I believe, but if they have their own fresher's at their uni they may not to and may be inclined to go to other events at the begining of the year). If you have classes together or on the same campus then you could walk together. Not much else I can think of otherwise
I asked for a single sex flat (purely personal reasons) and they put me in a coed flat, it's also a ground floor flat and I'm not comfortable with that at all. I asked if I could possibly change rooms and they said no and to wait 6 weeks into the semester before applying for a transfer, but I don't think I could cope with staying somewhere I'm not comfortable for 6 weeks, having to settle in and then get up and move, that is if the transfer even takes place. But they let me know that people who have applied for a transfer into my accommodation block from other uni accom take precedent over my request to transfer rooms so it might not even be possible.

I guess that's one thing to think about, it would be nice to be around people from the same uni just because of convenience but idk it's something I might consider
unblessedcoffee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Although I don't really know Edinburgh University, I went to Newcastle and stayed first year in Castle Leazes (the bad one), and it was fine. I think you would be missing out big time if you went private. You're isolated from the other freshers, you won't make any friends in your first few weeks, and then come second year you'll struggle to find anyone to room with or w/e. That will be misery, and then you've missed out on that shared experience.

Also those private places are usually the domain of postgrads and foreign students, who in my experience (stayed in a private place one year doing a masters) rarely cocme out of their rooms or even speak to anyone. A private room won't be significantly better than the university accom, just marketed better on a flash looking website.
mediclyfe
Rep:
?
(Original post by unblessedcoffee)
Although I don't really know Edinburgh University, I went to Newcastle and stayed first year in Castle Leazes (the bad one), and it was fine. I think you would be missing out big time if you went private. You're isolated from the other freshers, you won't make any friends in your first few weeks, and then come second year you'll struggle to find anyone to room with or w/e. That will be misery, and then you've missed out on that shared experience.

Also those private places are usually the domain of postgrads and foreign students, who in my experience (stayed in a private place one year doing a masters) rarely cocme out of their rooms or even speak to anyone. A private room won't be significantly better than the university accom, just marketed better on a flash looking website.
Yeah I guess so, I guess I'm better off trying to get a room transfer so I'm going to email the uni again and ask. They said if I found someone willing to swap with me they could accommodate that but ofc no one wants a ground floor flat😅
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mediclyfe)
I asked for a single sex flat (purely personal reasons) and they put me in a coed flat, it's also a ground floor flat and I'm not comfortable with that at all. I asked if I could possibly change rooms and they said no and to wait 6 weeks into the semester before applying for a transfer, but I don't think I could cope with staying somewhere I'm not comfortable for 6 weeks, having to settle in and then get up and move, that is if the transfer even takes place. But they let me know that people who have applied for a transfer into my accommodation block from other uni accom take precedent over my request to transfer rooms so it might not even be possible.

I guess that's one thing to think about, it would be nice to be around people from the same uni just because of convenience but idk it's something I might consider
That's strange tbh.
I know a lot of people who ended up in single sex flats wanting mixed ones. I don't think a ground floor flat will be as comfortable as you think. Many people do transfer flats (I know a lot that did) for a variety of reasons. Normally there are others who want to swap as well.
unblessedcoffee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I really enjoyed it, great place to go. You are only in accomodation in the first year then your group together with others and get housing subsequently (easy even if you don't meet people easily). Castle Leazes is supposedly the bad one and yeah the rooms are small and it's a little tired but its fine for a student. Making friends is easy at any university (I assume you are at school?), Newcastle is good as it's a city campus so there are plenty of clubs/people around all the time, very busy etc, and the student union is very active. People are also very friendly; if you go somewhere like Durham, everyone is full of themselves because it tends to be a second choice for people wanting to go to Oxford or Cambridge, and the rejects go to Durham. Newcastle has people who are a bit more on the level and its a more modern "feeling" university if you know what I mean rather than a bunch of dusty old books and academics.

I studied computer science which was very well taught and the facilites were all very good for this particular subject. So yes I very much enjoyed my time there. (Bear in mind i have graduated so this was about 5 years ago).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.36%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
17.1%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
36.27%
There's nothing they could do (57)
29.53%

Watched Threads