The Student Room Group

Going on holiday with abusive family

Last week I got involved in a heated argument with my sister and my mum. I don’t want to get into what exactly happened but my mum physically abused me, she punched me, tried to strangle me and scratched me because she was sticking up for my sister (she’s 20). She texted me after saying she hated me and she doesn’t want to speak to me again. Since then I haven’t spoke to my mum or gone near her, I don’t see myself doing so any time soon. It got to the point where I didn’t want to join them for lunch/dinner purely because I didn’t want to see her. This wasn’t the first time it’s happened either.

What makes it worse is that I’m going on holiday with my family in less than 2 weeks and I’m sharing a room with my sister. I thought about just not going as I know i’ll be miserable the whole time but my dad and my uncle really want me to (my dad has been the only one supporting me since the whole situation). I just don’t know what to do as I don’t want to face my mum (a child abuser lol) she knocks me sick.
I'm not a professional but if you are being abused please call 0800 1111 or your local police service
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, you see I would report it but the thought of my mum being taken away (as much as I hate her) and my whole family being torn apart, it would do more harm than good for me and I’d feel even more down
Reply 3
Have you tried figuring out why your moms so obstinately against you and so supporting of your sister?
How old are you?
And are you Asian by any chance?

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through, try and talk to your mom and make her u understand what it is you are going though and how you feel.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the reply, you see I would report it but the thought of my mum being taken away (as much as I hate her) and my whole family being torn apart, it would do more harm than good for me and I’d feel even more down

They won't take her away, they would take you away (if you are under 18)
Hi so sorry to read that you are having to endure this at such a young and difficult age ,I urge you to at least speak to someone like childline breathing space or Samaritan,you really do not need to be dealing with this alone ,as a mum of teenagers I know how heated things can get over the weirdest of things but being physically hit is beyond what any young adult should be subjected to ,I do understand you love your family and feel you should speak to someone who can give you respite ,don't go on the holiday ,stay home and be kind to yourself and plan in your head what feels right for you ,give yourself quiet time to think do not put yourself in situation that would cause things to get worse ,please take care ,you do not deserve this ,never blame yourself,no matter what you think you did you never deserve to be treated this way in life xx
Perhaps you should try arrange private family counselling
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I take it your dad is aware of her behaviour? Perhaps if you speak to him about how you feel, he'd be more understanding about letting you stay at home. If you do decide to go, is there any way you could just go off and do your own thing? How old are you, OP?
Reply 9
Original post by BogdanK
Have you tried figuring out why your moms so obstinately against you and so supporting of your sister?

It’s more of a favouritism thing, she has always favourited my sister and my brother over me. It’s always been obvious
I am Asian yes and I hate how parents abusing their children is normalised in our culture :frown: my mum doesn’t want to speak to me. She knows how I’ve been feeling and it’s been a week and she’s still not bothering
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I take it your dad is aware of her behaviour? Perhaps if you speak to him about how you feel, he'd be more understanding about letting you stay at home. If you do decide to go, is there any way you could just go off and do your own thing? How old are you, OP?

Hi, I’m 17 turning 18 next month and yes my dad has been the only one checking up on me. I hear my dad mentioning me to my mum but she is stubborn and when she is talking about me, she just implies that she doesn’t care. I have thought about doing my own thing on holiday I think that’s a good idea. It just doesn’t help that I share a room with my sister

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending