The Student Room Group

Is scoliosis my fault?

Poll

Did I cause or worsen my scoliosis?

I've been worrying about my scoliosis a lot lately but I wouldn't bother that much if I knew it was unpreventable and not my fault. I had psychosis and lots of anxiety in a school between 16 to 19 years of my age and I got underweight for over 2 years with 55 kg as a male. Then I got sent to a mental hospital and was diagnosed with psychosis and asperger. I took pills and gained weight fast.

But at 19 years I was diagnosed with a 20° S curve scoliosis. At 20 years my weight was normal again. Do you think my underweight + bad sitting positions in school caused me to develop 20° scoliosis? Is it all my fault? Could it have been completely prevented? Did I worsen or cause it?

Maybe without underweight I would only have 10° or no scoliosis at all? And I remember that I was sitting unevenly in school and doing workout exercises falsely at home for some time. Is this all my fault that I have scoliosis now? If it's not my fault then who's is it? Why did I get 20° scoliosis?

Thanks for reading and answering.
Reply 1
I also know that there were I think 2 or 3 days (not in order) when I did not eat anything at all for the entire day due to stress and anxiety. I was also underweight with 55 kg.
you should know by now it's a congenital condition.
It's no one's "fault". You can't blame anyone - yourself or others.
From the NHS website:
'Causes of scoliosis:
In around 8 in every 10 cases, the cause of scoliosis is unknown. This is called idiopathic scoliosis.
Idiopathic scoliosis can't be prevented and isn't thought to be linked to things such as bad posture, exercise or diet.
Your genes may make you more likely to get it, though, as it sometimes runs in families.
Less commonly, scoliosis may be caused by: the bones in the spine not forming properly in the womb this is called congenital scoliosis and is present from birth. An underlying nerve or muscle condition, such as cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy this is called neuromuscular scoliosis. Wear and tear of the spine with age this is called degenerative scoliosis, which affects older adults.' (you're young so this doesn't apply to you)

So judging from this, your scoliosis isn't your fault at all. :smile:
Reply 5
So it's really not my fault? Cause my mother has got a small C curve and she says it's because she goes shopping a lot and carries bags on one side often, maybe it's a degenerative scoliosis. And my father says I got scoliosis by sitting unevenly and not doing enough sports, also by the underweight.
Obviously I'm not your GP, but it seems extremely unlikely that your scoliosis is due to anything you've done personally. Since your mum also has it, there may well be a genetic link there which caused it.

If you want some more reassurance, the UK Scoliosis Association says for both adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (which you probably have) and adult degenerative scoliosis that 'Scoliosis can only be prevented when it is due to rickets or poliomyelitis, which can both be treated. Happily both these diseases are now very rare. Scoliosis is not caused by bad posture, carrying a heavy backpack, or anything the child or parents did or did not do.'

So there's really nothing you could have done to stop it. :smile:
Reply 7
So scoliosis is really really really not my fault? ^^
maybe I had only through genetic and I worsened it up to 20° S curve with my underweight (poor diet) and bad sitting habits in school and at home. And maybe I lifted the weights up falsely during strength workout. Or do you have no doubt that I did not cause and worsen scoliosis? I did not worsen or cause this? I ask for the last time.
Original post by huntsman5
So scoliosis is really really really not my fault? ^^
maybe I had only through genetic and I worsened it up to 20° S curve with my underweight (poor diet) and bad sitting habits in school and at home. And maybe I lifted the weights up falsely during strength workout. Or do you have no doubt that I did not cause and worsen scoliosis? I did not worsen or cause this? I ask for the last time.

If I were you, I'd talk to your doctor about this as he/she will be able to give you a much more authoritative opinion than some randos on the internet, but since both the NHS website and the UK scoliosis association both say that scoliosis is not your fault, it probably isn't.
Reply 9
Okay thank you. My doctor and my orthopaedic said the causes are unknown because it's an idiopathic scoliosis. They say they do not know if I worsened it.

Quick Reply

Latest