SophieA
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Oh possible difficulties adapting to change may just come from things like a culture clash - say two companies merge and company A has a very strict power culture and company B has a task culture the two companies may find it very hard to blend together due to the large differences in their organisational structures. These issues need to be addressed immediately otherwise it will become demotivating for employees as they won't know which system to follow and may result in work being neglected and may create the downfall of the organisation.
xxClarexx
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by aneilh)
Can someone go over organisation cultures, and possible difficulties adapting to a change?
Some typical cultures
People cultures – e.g. Innocent drinks
Recognising that engaging “hearts and minds” of staff is the key to success.
Lots of consultation/Delegation
Often Informal

Innovation culture
Energy goes into finding and developing better products e.g. Apple, Sony and Microsoft.
Task-based cultures – all emphasis is on the current project e.g. the channel tunnel.

Customer focused culture
All we care about is contented customers e.g. Hotel and other services

Change in culture
Why change?
- Market is changing
- Present culture not working – falling profits and falling market share.
How to change
- Change the structure
- Dismiss the “Old Guard” – the one at the top
- Employ new leadership
- Communicate change to the staff
- Walk the talk – do what your going to say you do
SophieA
Report 11 years ago
Does anyone know if we have to create decision trees or just give advantages and disadvantages etc and also is critical path anaylsis on this exam?
Laurenxx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SophieA)
Does anyone know if we have to create decision trees or just give advantages and disadvantages etc and also is critical path anaylsis on this exam?
Read through the thread! Surely by now you must have looked at past papers etc and realised that you are not going to be asked to draw a decision tree. Think about...the majority of this paper is based on Evaluation so theyre not going to ask you to draw a decision tree as this would take considerable time.
stash
Report 11 years ago
What do you think are they best evaluative points to pur for a strategy question, also what are themost general strategic decisions a business is likey to make (i no it depends on the business) but like ansoffs matrix, what other ones are there?
fly4fun
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
technically CPA cold come up as its a synoptic paper. Duw to the structure of teh exam, it's unlikely that you will be asked to make onw, but theoretically they could ask you to so just bear that in mind.
Laurenxx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Also given that critical path was more for unit 4? (not sure which one?) its unliklely you'll get a question based on the critical path solely, you may however be able to include it in an answer to a question but I highly doubt you will be asked about it specifically.
lil_miss_annoymous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fly4fun)
technically CPA cold come up as its a synoptic paper. Duw to the structure of teh exam, it's unlikely that you will be asked to make onw, but theoretically they could ask you to so just bear that in mind.
They would NOT ask you on CPA its not Extl influence and obj n strategy... HOWEVER.. if u mentioned it in a question which is would relevant to you would get high analysis marks.
fly4fun
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah My bad. I thought paper 6 was synoptic, no?
SophieA
Report 11 years ago
i thought it was synoptic as well?! And i didn't mean draw it from scratch in the past they have asked you to fill in details and then in this exam surely they could then ask you to evaluate the information?
Laurenxx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If I were some of you I would be seriously worried about tomorrows exams judging from some of the questions you are asking. Surely you have been through past papers and you must know the format by now? I know I've been through pretty much every past paper (some that the college has given and some by myself) and you can see that you WILL NOT be asked to complete a CPA or deicision tree.

The paper is pretty synoptic, you mjst draw upon knowledge from the whole 2 years, the question may be based on topics such as contingency planning etc bt these will have other implications for the business thus drawing upon your other knowledge.
GunnerMT
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Laurenxx)
If I were some of you I would be seriously worried about tomorrows exams judging from some of the questions you are asking. Surely you have been through past papers and you must know the format by now? I know I've been through pretty much every past paper (some that the college has given and some by myself) and you can see that you WILL NOT be asked to complete a CPA or deicision tree.

The paper is pretty synoptic, you mjst draw upon knowledge from the whole 2 years, the question may be based on topics such as contingency planning etc bt these will have other implications for the business thus drawing upon your other knowledge.
Being able to draw a decision tree is clearly in the spec, just because it hasn't been asked yet does not mean it won't be.
However it is extreamlly unlikely it will be asked (as not an evaluative process) and more likely it would be to fill in EV's of the tree and write adv/disv.
As said previously CPA will not be asked, however bringing it in the evaluation of a question may gain you extra marks.
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well..obviously. thats unit 4. In unit 4 however, you HAVE been asked to draw a CPA either from scratch or to do various bits to one.
aneilh
Report 11 years ago
Can someone help me with corporate plans...

Corporate Plan is a strategy of how a business intends to meet its aims and objectives.

Adv:

1) Gives the company a common goal, and provides coordination
2) Allows to plan for resources in advanced...prehaps better cash flow and easier to obtain finances?

Disadv:
1) Current staff may be resistant if they were aiming for another goal or feel company should be going towards something else.
2) Time consuming.

Can someone tell me if these are right and give me one more Adv and one more Disadv..

Thanks
Laurenxx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by FireDeuce)
Well..obviously. thats unit 4. In unit 4 however, you HAVE been asked to draw a CPA either from scratch or to do various bits to one.
Yes and thats why this is a thread for unit 6.
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes and thats why this is a thread for unit 6.
All 3 of 4 of these threads have had conversation of all units.
sp26
Report 11 years ago
wat do u people thinks gonna be in the exam?

and wat sort of technique do u use to evaluate, and how do u evaluate early on in ur answer?

thanks
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Guessing games will get you no-where..there's just no pattern. For some subjects theres a pattern, but business studies there seems to be too many topics to have patterns.
helentate
Report 11 years ago
does anyone know what the advantages of horizontal integration are- iv only got three...
1. Economies of Scale
2. Bigger Market Share possibly leading to increase in profits
3. Bigger brand recognition

Also...If the case study is about a merger and a question asks about the advantages of this is this just the advantages of horizontal or vertical integration depending on the type of merger in the case study?
x
xxClarexx
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by helentate)
does anyone know what the advantages of horizontal integration are- iv only got three...
1. Economies of Scale
2. Bigger Market Share possibly leading to increase in profits
3. Bigger brand recognition

Also...If the case study is about a merger and a question asks about the advantages of this is this just the advantages of horizontal or vertical integration depending on the type of merger in the case study?
x
another advantage is synergy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads