Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wind Guru are you studying economic ?
stuarts10
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
looking at the past papers it seems hard to do all the questions worth so many marks in an hour and a half. how much should we be writing for each question?
netuser07
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
any 1 got some good revision notes on corporate planning post it plz !!!!

oh yea and porter's strategies aswell ..
netuser07
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you write the right stuff , then two paragraphs are enough .. but if u want to chat and take the long way to explain your points then u will suffer alot.. it also depends on how fast you write!!
Wind Guru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by netuser07)
Wind Guru are you studying economic ?
Nope I'm just using revision notes my teacher gave me! Will write up on corporate planning in a sec.

Corporate plans set out the overall strategy that the business will use to achieve its objectives. (Basically a long term strategic plan)
e.g. how a business might survive, whether it intends to grow, how it intends to grow.

Advantages –
- forces managers to review their situation, internally and externally.
- forces managers to look towards the future and work towards goals.
- Enables everyone within the business to work together towards a goal.
- May benefit from a synergy ‘combined effort of everyone working together is greater than the sum of everyone’s individual efforts’

Disadvantages
- Plans can go out of date
- Don’t take into account external factors (i.e. rising interest rates, shortage of supplies, declining markets)

Anyone got anything else on this? I'm researching some now.
3ak16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Wind Guru)
Nope I'm just using revision notes my teacher gave me! Will write up on corporate planning in a sec.
:X you made market failure look so compleX

what kinda questions would they ask with market failure

edit*

ignore what i said! im just daized out with this revision, all makes perfect sense possible questions could be 'why the goverment intervines to prevent market failure' stuff like that im guessing
Wind Guru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by netuser07)
if you write the right stuff , then two paragraphs are enough .. but if u want to chat and take the long way to explain your points then u will suffer alot.. it also depends on how fast you write!!
Yeah agreed! Keep your points short and straight to the point. Don't try and impress the examiner with long complicated 'business' talk as you'll just waffle.

Set your answer out clearly.
Begin with a definition.
Then get STRAIGHT into applying your knowledge. Always mention how it will affect the firm - will it make them more competitive? increase their sales?
State 2 or 3 advantages, 2 or 3 disadvantages.
For your conclusion - discuss the affects in the short term and the long term. (I.e. cashflow during growth, there will be more outflows than inflows due to investments in resources (premises, stocks) - however in the long term - these investments should increase sales and therefore increase the cash inflow)

Possibly suggest what the business should opt for. or make a judgement. E.g. 'Business ethics is of high value because..'

The exam is 1 hour 30 - 10 mins reading/thinking time - 80 mins for writing - 1 mark per minute!!
Wind Guru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 3ak16)
:X you made market failure look so compleX

what kinda questions would they ask with market failure

edit*

ignore what i said! im just daized out with this revision, all makes perfect sense possible questions could be 'why the goverment intervines to prevent market failure' stuff like that im guessing
Haha I just deleted my m.failure post - don't want to confuse anyone!! I'm not sure about market failure.. it's sooo confusing. In the CGP revision guide though it says it's not part of the AQA syllabus?
3ak16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Wind Guru)
Haha I just deleted my m.failure post - don't want to confuse anyone!! I'm not sure about market failure.. it's sooo confusing. In the CGP revision guide though it says it's not part of the AQA syllabus?
Lol, kay thanks for letting me know. .

Hasn't appeared in any papers, no wonder
fizzydizzy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
so no market failure woop!
motherfunky
Report 11 years ago
*******s.. you see how they had organisational culture on jan 08! and they had it on june 07.. less of a chance of it cominup now?
Wind Guru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hope there isn't market failure - then again they expect you to have a brief idea of the Porter and Generic Strategy which isn't in the syllabus either.

Can someone help us on this??

May be a less chance of organisational culture hmm... what about ethics?? and social responsibility?
motherfunky
Report 11 years ago
i reeeeally having a feeling its going to be on tescos! hmm im thinking yeah maybe social responsibilities will come up.. maybe something to do with stakeholders?
motherfunky
Report 11 years ago
and i doubt anythings specific about market failure will come up.. i dont think it matters whether or not you really write bout it tbh because it hasnt come up and its not on our syllabus!
Ramos_Spurs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
market failure did come up in 2004 but dont know if the course has changed
DevonHowell
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by motherfunky)
i reeeeally having a feeling its going to be on tescos! hmm im thinking yeah maybe social responsibilities will come up.. maybe something to do with stakeholders?
I think Tescos would be a great company to cover in this business paper. It covers all of the main points that people are guessing will come up. Also with all of the publicity Tescos have received I can really see it coming up.
fizzydizzy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ok people lets summarise

what do you think will come up?

i believe:

The EU
Contingency Planning
Decision Tress
Culture
Takeover/Merge
Amra
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DevonHowell)
I think Tescos would be a great company to cover in this business paper. It covers all of the main points that people are guessing will come up. Also with all of the publicity Tescos have received I can really see it coming up.

yea that could be or i am thinking Northern Rock
Wind Guru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Does anyone know when the exam paper was written?
DevonHowell
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fizzydizzy)
ok people lets summarise

what do you think will come up?

i believe:

The EU
Contingency Planning
Decision Tress
Culture
Takeover/Merge
I hope so. These are easy topics!

I reckon Retrenchment could possibly come up. Maybe internation competitiveness. Both could easily come up in regards to a tesco case study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads