Laurenxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Theyre not going to ask you to draw a decision tree....think about it, this paper is based a lot on evaluation.

And argh I only have 1 night to revise this, well day aswell, as I have Law tomorrow and am concentrating on that tonight

I think I should still be easily able to get an A overall though thank god.
fizzydizzy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yh you are right
DevonHowell
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Amra)
yea that could be or i am thinking Northern Rock
I wouldn't have thought Nothern Rock because my business teacher knows the chief examiner and he says that the papers are normally written well in advance. I'd have guessed it would have been written before the whole Nothern Rock episode. This is why I like the sound of Tescos. It was big news months ago, easily before the paper would have been written.
3ak16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by DevonHowell)
I wouldn't have thought Nothern Rock because my business teacher knows the chief examiner and he says that the papers are normally written well in advance. I'd have guessed it would have been written before the whole Nothern Rock episode. This is why I like the sound of Tescos. It was big news months ago, easily before the paper would have been written.
big news? links please- i would like to read up about it
fizzydizzy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
looks like it's tesco
jh_1988_england
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
i know about the northern rock thing. but what happened wit tesco
3ak16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by notts-lad-08)
i know about the northern rock thing. but what happened wit tesco
lol thats what i wanna know :X
Ramos_Spurs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the fact that they have diversified into new market, record profits, could ask questions on their social responsibilites, ethics, culture, what they could do next, retrenchment due to a gloomy economic forcast
DevonHowell
Report 11 years ago
Lol. No, unfortunately, I do not have any tip offs from any dodgey people. I am simply guessing! Someone else posted on this forum that they thought it was going to be on Tescos. I am just saying that it would definitely be a feasible company to have in the case study on Tuesday! No don't worry Tescos have not gone under! Do you not remember when Tescos was covered in the news a lot? When they published their profit figures and they were classed as Britain's biggest retailer? It was a big business news story that AQA could easily base their case study on. Would you not agree?
DevonHowell
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ramos_Spurs)
the fact that they have diversified into new market, record profits, could ask questions on their social responsibilites, ethics, culture, what they could do next, retrenchment due to a gloomy economic forcast
Exactly mate! Spot on buddy.
monica7790
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Laurenxx)
Theyre not going to ask you to draw a decision tree....think about it, this paper is based a lot on evaluation.

And argh I only have 1 night to revise this, well day aswell, as I have Law tomorrow and am concentrating on that tonight

I think I should still be easily able to get an A overall though thank god.
ive only got 1 night to revise for this too. doubt i ll get an A tho, my evaluation is always weak. doesnt help with this paper.
FrancisM89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Looking back on mark schemes guys, we need 70% + perfect English! for that A, maximum.

I have 2 exams tomorrow, RS and History, so this is 100% neglected until about 2.30PM tomorrow.
netuser07
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
wats with tesco? can sum1 post any stuff we need 2 kno about tesco before we sit the exam!! things like their corporate social responsibility? are they ethical.. Investment and expansion? their mission statement ....etc
lil_miss_annoymous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by netuser07)
wats with tesco? can sum1 post any stuff we need 2 kno about tesco before we sit the exam!! things like their corporate social responsibility? are they ethical.. Investment and expansion? their mission statement ....etc
They will always mention anything you need to know in the exam, dont waste time learning about them incase htey dont come up because that could be valuable time actually learning stuff such as contingency plans.
DevonHowell
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by netuser07)
Anything we need to know should be in the case study. So even "if" the exam was on tesco, you don't need to worry about that now. Again, I AM NOT SAYING it is on Tesco for sure.
netuser07
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ok no probs .. I am dreading this exam, hope it will be better than unit 4..

Wat's MBO ( management buyout)? and wat are its implications? anyone knows? make it simple plz , my text book explains in complex way
jh_1988_england
Report 11 years ago
what are the main things to learn for bus6, i know decision trees, ethics and contingency planning
DevonHowell
Report 11 years ago
Management buyouts are simply when managers of a firm decide to buy its shares so that they actually own the business. The implications include: higher motivation for the managers because the success or failure of the business now has a bigger impact on them. Also they get to make all the decisions and owning the shares in the business means they keep all of the profits too. The major downside is that in order to finance buyouts, it you usually requires heavy borrowing. Therefore the high gearing ratio could have a major impact on the profitability of the business due to the high interest repayments. Its fairly simple topic. Does that help?
Wind Guru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I need about 90 ums marks to get an A overall in this exam argggg scarey!

Management buy out is when the managers of a business take it over by buying a controlling interest in its shares. It might happen when the original owners feel the performance of this firm is likely to decline in the future - but the managers believe it can be successful.

However, managers will need to finance a buy out - so may have to borrow money as it is unlikely that they have enough personal funds to deal themselves.

Buy outs = high gearing (loans) and high interest payments. This can put pressure on the managers to ensure the firm performs well to cover these costs.

Buy outs are also stressful. By taking over the firm, managers will become totally responsible for the success/failure of the firm. They must take all decisions and if the business does fail they will personally lose money.

So overall:

Advantages
- managers role has changed, more control and therefore higher profits (if successful)
- If business is successful they'll keep the rewards - this is motivating

Disadvantages
- Need money to finance buy out
- means high gearing, and high interest payments
- if it fails, managers will lose personal money
- stressful

Not sure what else sorry!
netuser07
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DevonHowell)
Management buyouts are simply when managers of a firm decide to buy its shares so that they actually own the business. The implications include: higher motivation for the managers because the success or failure of the business now has a bigger impact on them. Also they get to make all the decisions and owning the shares in the business means they keep all of the profits too. The major downside is that in order to finance buyouts, it you usually requires heavy borrowing. Therefore the high gearing ratio could have a major impact on the profitability of the business due to the high interest repayments. Its fairly simple topic. Does that help?
thanks mate ! I apperciate it ! explained nice and clear!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads