Jakefa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m really not sure about what to take for my a levels. I was set on further maths, maths, computer science and physics but now I’m not so sure. I want to possibly start my own business when I’m older but that seems like a waste of an a level? I also think that I may want to trade in the stock market so would economics be a possibility? Like I don’t enjoy maths but I think it would be really useful, thanks
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jakefa)
I’m really not sure about what to take for my a levels. I was set on further maths, maths, computer science and physics but now I’m not so sure. I want to possibly start my own business when I’m older but that seems like a waste of an a level? I also think that I may want to trade in the stock market so would economics be a possibility? Like I don’t enjoy maths but I think it would be really useful, thanks
the way to become a millionaire on the stock market is to start off as a multi-millionaire and start losing money. your A level choices are fine but there's no reason not to replace comp sci with economics, as neither A level is a pre-requisite for the degree
Fsofoxy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you don’t enjoy maths that much do maths economics computer science and physics
Jakefa
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
the way to become a millionaire on the stock market is to start off as a multi-millionaire and start losing money. your A level choices are fine but there's no reason not to replace comp sci with economics, as neither A level is a pre-requisite for the degree
Yeah that’s a point, what a levels did you take?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah that’s a point, what a levels did you take?
bio, maths, further maths and economics
Jakefa
Rep:
?
Did/do you think that 4 a levels are/was too hard?
Lily185
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you don’t enjoy maths then don’t consider taking further maths! I 100% agree with you that maths is a really important A Level to take and will definitely be worth it (facilitating subject, counts as a science often) so long as you feel that you will be competent enough and won’t hate doing it each day! You spend a lot of time doing the subjects so it’s important to make sure you at least can tolerate them, if so then take maths but only take further maths if you are passionate about maths as it is a slog and a half. I have three Friends who took maths, FM, physics and computing and despite getting 9’s at maths GCSE dropped FM after AS because if you don’t want to study maths at degree level then taking FM gets you no further advantage. I wouldn’t take economics A Level, I think that it won’t provide you the information you are looking for, you can always study eco at degree level without studying it at A Level. For now I think it’s best to keep your options open and stick with Maths, physics and computer science and maybe throw in a humanity or essay based subject for more variation to cover all areas. Good luck and if you have any more questions feel free to ask
Melisa_B
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can start your own business pretty much in any field. If you want to take Computing for A levels,then you can start your own tech company one day. Then,( depending on the university)tipically you’ll have 2 math modules as a computing student so bo need to worry
Last edited by Melisa_B; 2 years ago
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did/do you think that 4 a levels are/was too hard?
Definitely only take 3 A levels. You don't need 4. Many years ago, 4 was the norm but ever since the A levels reform, it's 3. Don't bother with anything extra.

Just do the subjects that you think you'll do well in and that you enjoy. :fluffy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (3)
21.43%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
14.29%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (2)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (5)
35.71%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
14.29%

Watched Threads