Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
It's true that there's a lack of capacity on some of these key lines, but not when you stand next to them. If you want to see what I mean, try standing on one of the bridges above the tracks that lead into Euston even during a rush period and you will see relatively few intercity trains passing in each period of 10 minutes. They don't use modern technology widely used in other countries that allows trains to move closer together. I believe this is due to a combination of union objections and lack of commitment to investment from the DfT.

When you dig into this subject, you soon realise that smothering big contractors in cash, especially big consultancies, tends to be the top priority of government,

I like it that you want improvements to places like Wales and the W. Country, both of which are hideously poorly connected to the system for a modern country. There are glaring gaps in provision, especially E-W provision, across the country. The DfT have put the kibosh on the long-demanded Oxford-Cambridge line for example. Sheffield-Manchester and Leeds-Manchester are like a cruel and sustained joke by an evil genius played on the people who have to suffer them. There are basically no connections between some of our largest cities, such as Nottingham-Manchester, Leeds-Bristol, Glasgow-Leeds - I could go on, but all of these services are third rate, slow, overcrowded, involve changes or are run by shyster companies intent purely on profiteering under permissive monopoly franchises granted by a corrupt, sluggish, sinister central government department.

HS is their answer and it's a rubbish one.
Ten minutes would seem a stretch with 8 per hour leaving (Pendalino i think) however i'm not aware of exact timetabling. That might be one reason Euston was chosen though if it is underutilized. The distance between train issue stems from our signalling system being Victorian, that is currently being addressed right now with the main routes being upgraded and speed increases from 125 to 140mph being permitted as a result (its in cab signalling).

Can't argue on the contractor point but unless we plan a wide scale network then it will be seen as more expensive to develop what we need for Network Rail to do it than contract out. Government is also notoriously poor at procurement because of the need for standardization.

Can't disagree on most of that though there is a 125mph Bristol-Birmingham-Leeds route however yes, to get to Glasgow from Leeds a high speed train must cross onto the West Coast Route near Carslile using a branch line for an hour or so at 60-90mph (not sure if its electrified or not).

As stated, it is the only decent alternative on offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.28%
No (175)
34.11%

Watched Threads