The Student Room Group

Ear piercing- Thinking of getting them done

Rightio...I was thinking of getting my ears pierced soon but havent had it done before. If Im perfectly honest I'm really scared that its goin to hurt despite what Ive been told. :redface: Just wanted to know where the best place is to get it done? I know you can have them done in places like Claire's etc but... Also how much does it cost?(ish) And would I have to wear plasters on them for a while?:confused:

x

Scroll to see replies

I had mine done at Claire's when I was about 21 with no problems. They could see I was bricking it so agreed to have two girls doing it at the same time (in case I chickened out after one ear was done lol) and they even got some small kid who was terrified to watch me having it done to show it was nothing to be scared of. I was like "no don't let her watch I'll scream" but all it was was a sharp pinch, my ears went a little red afterwards, but I wouldn't say it was painful. It cost about £30 but I had the most expensive earrings they do because I've got sensitive ears, I think it starts at about £10.

You don't have to put plasters on or anything like that, just clean round them and wiggle them daily so they don't get stuck or infected. Claires give you a bottle of cleaning stuff if you get your ears pierced there.
Reply 2
The best place to get it done is a professional piercing studio that doesn't use guns. Guns are disgusting.
It usually costs between £10-£20 for a pair, depending on where you go. Yeah, you can get it cheaper with a gun but...ergh.
No, you don't need to wear plasters on them at all.
I had mine done at Cloud Nine. Didn't have any problems at all :smile:
Reply 4
Don't go to Claire's. It's stupid to have them done with a gun, but especially stupid to have both done at the same time.
Reply 5
I had them done at Claires...had two girls doing them at the same time - aparantly my eyes bulged a bit, was like TnV described - a sharp pinch. Cost about £20
Reply 6
The turning of piercings is also questionable. I've heard 2 schools of thought: leave them so the cut can heal or turn them and i'd be more inclined to not touch them. Although if you go to Claire's it's not a cut, but more a hole.
Reply 7
Pain is subjective, remember. :p: I had mine done when I was quite young and I didn't have any problems with them, but my sister did because she wasn't cleaning the piercing properly... so make sure you use that blue stuff.

I had mine done with a gun.
Reply 8
I had mine done in a department store in a room away from everyone else... for about the same price you can have it done in the window of Claires for with all the shoppers watching.
Reply 9
lazydays
I had mine done in a department store in a room away from everyone else... for about the same price you can have it done in the window of Claires for with all the shoppers watching.

Or, for about the same price you can get it done somewhere good.
Reply 10
There's nothing wrong with having them done at Claire's but if you live in a city with more than one then go into the branch where they do it at the back of the store not in the window (I admit I wouldn't have had mine done at Claire's whilst sitting in a window) and pick a quiet time of day when its not full of school kids. But any department store or jewellers should be fine as long as they are well known and hygenic. I had both of mine done at the same time too, and it's only like a little prick and it feels strange after, like your ears are sticking out a mile with the new studs in. Be really careful about keeping them clean and using the solution on them after as infections can set in easily especially if you have long hair. Don't be worried if a little bit of pus comes out of them every now and then whilst they're healing, its normal and part of the healing process, but if it smells really bad or your ears look inflamed you should go get them checked out.
Reply 11
I had mine done when I was 17 (I think) - 2 years after I had my nose pierced! My nose hurt and made my eyes water, but when I had my ears done it just felt like they were being pinched hard - pressure rather than piercing. My ears only hurt for a few days, and mainly in the morning after I'd been sleeping on them all night! I turned my studs, mainly to clean around them properly and get all the gunk and stuff off. They healed really fast. I wouldn't have them done in somewhere like Claires - I wouldn't want to be watched and it doesn't exactly look like a professional piercing studio does it? I'm sure there are loads of reputable piercing places near you that pierce ears. They should give you advice about aftercare and would be happy for you to pop back if you have problems.
Reply 12
Juno
Or, for about the same price you can get it done somewhere good.

Huh? Browns of Chester IS good. :biggrin:
Get it done at a proper piercing place with needles, not a piercing gun. Guns are less hygenic (they are not sterilised between each use) & cause more trauma to the ear, therefore taking longer to heal. Also the cruddy little studs they use don't allow for proper swelling which is a necessary part of the healing process. If you don't respect your body then by all means go to somewhere like Claire's. A great site for piercing information is www.bmezine.com they give proper advice too..
Reply 14
nicki04
Don't be worried if a little bit of pus comes out of them every now and then whilst they're healing, its normal and part of the healing process, but if it smells really bad or your ears look inflamed you should go get them checked out.

No, pus is not normal. It's a sign you're doing something wrong. Lymph is normal, but you usually only get a bit of that and it's completely different to pus! It starts out white and more runny, but if you leave it it will set yellow and crusty.

Be really careful about keeping them clean and using the solution on them after as infections can set in easily especially if you have long hair.
You'd be better off making your own solution of salt water and using that.

There's nothing wrong with having them done at Claire's but if you live in a city with more than one then go into the branch where they do it at the back of the store not in the window (I admit I wouldn't have had mine done at Claire's whilst sitting in a window) and pick a quiet time of day when its not full of school kids. But any department store or jewellers should be fine as long as they are well known and hygenic.

There is something wrong at having them done at Claire's or any other jewellers/hairdressers. It's called a "piercing gun"
I had mine done at a proper beauty clinic and they used a gun and there was nothing wrong with it. I'm not gonna tell you like everyone that it doesn't hurt, it does, the reason many people say it doesn't hurt is because the extent of pain is not worth remembering, so yes it does hurt, you've just had hole punched through your ear or course it is gonna hurt, but it doesn't hurt enough to be of any consequence or disturbance.
Reply 16
Having your ears pierced is honestly no ordeal! I whined and moaned all the way to the shop, only to find out that it hurt very little. You don't need plasters; make sure the shop is reputable.

Good Luck!
V x
I used to work at Claire's too, niz.

It isn't a professional piercing.

But I'll say it before and I'll say it again. Those against gun piercings should focus their energy on hating Studex, not Claire's, in my opinion...
Reply 18
^ yeah that's true,
But, it depends on the store you go to, some stores they might not be bothered and seem unprofessional, others will properly go through everything with you, make sure everything is fine, that your comfortable etc.

They all use guns though, to OP why don't you check out your local claires, see how it is, how they come across, if it seems unprofessional then go somewhere else.
Reply 19
I don't think anyone who uses guns should call themselves professional.

Latest

Trending

Trending