Ear piercing- Thinking of getting them done Watch

dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, as Claire's don't use needles, they're not professional piercers. None of them.

I've worked there on and off for two years. For a Claire's, my store was much better than a lot of I've experienced in my time with the company. It was clean, staff were attentive and asked questions, etc. But that doesn't really change much. Guns are inferior, simple as. People trained for twenty minutes are not professionals.
guitargirl03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had my ears pierced for the first time at H. Samuels. But as others have said, it's not a good idea having piercings done with a gun, as the autoclave cannot clean certain parts of the gun...

And it doesn't hurt, it's more of a soft pinch...
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They're not trained, they probably don't know the first thing about the human anatomy. To even become a professional piercer one's required to under-go courses about circulation systems and different veins, arteries and the like. I highly doubt Claire's training goes into that level of detail.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You'd be right about the level of detail the training goes into, but to be fair, we're not all thickos.

I know something about human anatomy. I resent the implication that I'm a dummy for working in a particular high street shop.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
They're not trained, they probably don't know the first thing about the human anatomy. To even become a professional piercer one's required to under-go courses about circulation systems and different veins, arteries and the like. I highly doubt Claire's training goes into that level of detail.
Well, they only pierce ears (or should do), so knowledge of the vein/arteries in the wrist won't be much help! But professional piercers pierce practically anywhere.
pendragon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AmyO)
Rightio...I was thinking of getting my ears pierced soon but havent had it done before. If Im perfectly honest I'm really scared that its goin to hurt despite what Ive been told. Just wanted to know where the best place is to get it done? I know you can have them done in places like Claire's etc but... Also how much does it cost?(ish) And would I have to wear plasters on them for a while?:confused:
Thanks

x
Dont. It is barbaric body mutilation, sanitised by the fact thats its the traditional form of body modification in western cultures. Earlobes are beautiful, dont make holes in them!
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Don't go to Claire's. It's stupid to have them done with a gun, but especially stupid to have both done at the same time.
I had my second ones done at Claire's, both at the same time, and almost passed out! Then I threw up in the bin

The second time I had one done at a time, and had earrings with thinner posts, and it was fine
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes it hurts a bit. and then it hurts for a bit afterwards. and then it hurts more if you like brush your hair and get the comb stuck in your earrings.

i have no idea about guns and needles... i got mine done in a beauty salon, they used a gun. i have no idea what studex is but they also used that. since i am not a piercing guru, and since i only have my ears done, the fact that it was done with a gun does not bother me. indeed, the only time i had problems with my ears was when, about 5 weeks after having them pierced, i got some hair wrapped around a stud which made it go a little icky (although that cleared up in a few days). similarly, i did the hairbrush thing to one of my ears in december and it still gets a little owchy now.

i wouldn't get your ears done in claire's and i'd say that you are, indeed, probably likely to get your ears done better with a professional who uses a needle... but if you don't mind sore ears and want it done cheaply then, whatever, i don't think i know anyone who didn't get their ears done with a gun in a beauty salon or jewellers somewhere and i also know very few people who have had problems with basic ear-piercings.
pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
they even got some small kid who was terrified to watch me having it done to show it was nothing to be scared of. I was like "no don't let her watch I'll scream"
i like how at claire's, they always put the 'victim' in the window at the front, so everyone can see you... seems kind of dumb to be honest..

also - my input - if you were meant to have holes in your ears, you would have been born with them.

GG GN GL GB.
lazydays
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pumpkin7)
i like how at claire's, they always put the 'victim' in the window at the front, so everyone can see you... seems kind of dumb to be honest..

also - my input - if you were meant to have holes in your ears, you would have been born with them.

GG GN GL GB.
My Dad says that too, but you still brush your hair and teeth and have a wash, get your hair cut...And earrings look so prettyful.
bjk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
[QUOTE=also - my input - if you were meant to have holes in your ears, you would have been born with them. [/QUOTE]

ahhh..well I already have 2 weird holes already in my ears so no harm adding to them.
Thank you for all the replies btw

x
ames123
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Woah most seem to be against Claires! What's wrong with a gun??
Kittennffc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I got my first set done in Debenhams when I was seven; it didn't hurt, but school made me take them out when they found out *managed to hide them under my hair for about 2 months* and hurt so much when my mum put them back in! Are absolutely fine now, because I wear earings all the time. They did them with a gun and it was all perfectly normal - can't understand people on here being against them!

Had my second set done at Claires about five or six years ago, and was so nervous! The manage even asked my mum if I was OK to have them done because she was scared i'd faint. Was perfectly fine, but really didn't like having an audience. Again, had it done with a gun and nothings gone wrong *touch wood*

Finally got my last piercing *half way up my left ear* done at a professional piercing because everyone refuse to do it as it wasn't the lobe, or high up in the cartiledge. Had to have it done with a needle, and it hurt like anything! Felt weird with a plastic tube stuck out of my ear, and the guy was pretty brutal, and told me that I could go as soon as i'd had it done. Proceeded to almost faint and throw up when I got outside! Mum had to help me sit down! Everythings all good now!

Make sure you always clean your piercings to save infections, and it is advised to turn your piercings, as to stop it from healing over the stud.
The Canadian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Piercings are great, I love them, and I want more!!! I'm addicted to pain :p:

I don't like the idea of the gins cos they can't be inline as much as the needles can be, and they only have small holes, not 2 or 2.5 milly holes. I opted for a 1.8mm earring and a 2mm hole, and it's great
Mafer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's no any pain...i got too
pendragon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Canadian)
Spanking is a better and more enjoyable outlet for that addiction, you should ask someone to give you one!
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Canadian)

I don't like the idea of the gins cos they can't be inline as much as the needles can be, and they only have small holes, not 2 or 2.5 milly holes. I opted for a 1.8mm earring and a 2mm hole, and it's great
1.8? Sure it wasn't 1.6mm? The sizing is 1.2mm, 1.6mm, 2mm, 2.4mm, 3.2mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm (16g - 0g) and I've never seen ones in between (well, I've seen some 7mm pieces but not in between the smaller sizes).

Sorry, I always notice stupid little things like that, haha >.<

(Original post by Kittennffc)
I got my first set done in Debenhams when I was seven; it didn't hurt, but school made me take them out when they found out *managed to hide them under my hair for about 2 months* and hurt so much when my mum put them back in! Are absolutely fine now, because I wear earings all the time. They did them with a gun and it was all perfectly normal - can't understand people on here being against them!

Make sure you always clean your piercings to save infections, and it is advised to turn your piercings, as to stop it from healing over the stud.
The turning thing is debatable - some (well, most) piercers think it causes more trauma and it's generally unnecessary - an old myth, pretty much.

Oh, and people are against guns because they're disgustingly unsterile and punch a hole through your ear, causing a lot more trauma than a clean slit made by a needle would. Also, the studs are usually too short, made from crap metals and just generally unsuitable for a piercing.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Kate.)
1.8? Sure it wasn't 1.6mm? The sizing is 1.2mm, 1.6mm, 2mm, 2.4mm, 3.2mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm (16g - 0g) and I've never seen ones in between (well, I've seen some 7mm pieces but not in between the smaller sizes).

Sorry, I always notice stupid little things like that, haha >.<
There's a 1.4mm in there too.
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
There's a 1.4mm in there too.
Uh, not as far as I know. I've never come across that.
16g - 1.2mm
14g - 1.6mm
12g - 2mm
10g - 2.4mm
8g - 3.2mm
etc...

There might be some odd-sized jewellery in 1.4mm, and I know they do needles sized in-between gauges but I've never actually come across 1.4mm jewellery (needles, yes) - it's definitely not a well-used measurement, at least.
http://encyc.bmezine.com/?cmd=search&query=gauge
http://bodyartforms.com/measurement_guide.asp
http://www.crazychameleon.net/body-j...age-chart.html
http://www.tribalectic.com/GaugeConversionChart.asp
I could go on :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (66)
23.4%
No (216)
76.6%

Watched Threads