The Student Room Group

TV license uni

At uni in 1st year does it have to be 1 TV license per person. Or can you share with your neighbours? Then what about 2nd year in your own house?
It's one TV licence per property or address (as far as I'm aware)
However, I wouldn't get a TV licence. It is only needed to watch programmes live or anything on the BBC. You can watch all itv, channel 4 etc. programmes on catch up without it.
Additionally, as long as your laptop (or device you are watching it on) isn't plugged in to a power source then you can still be classed as using your parent's TV licence. This is because it was considered ridiculous to get a licence when you were travelling away elsewhere in the UK and you can still watch stuff on tv then, so it's sort of seen as more of a travelling licence when you're on holiday (if that makes sense)
Original post by adri2000
At uni in 1st year does it have to be 1 TV license per person. Or can you share with your neighbours? Then what about 2nd year in your own house?

If you're living in halls and want a TV in your room to watch live TV, you'll need a TV licence.
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you're living in halls and want a TV in your room to watch live TV, you'll need a TV licence.

Thanks guys.

I won't be getting a TV- it will be on my phone or laptop.

So basically I can watch anything on catchup, except BBC (which I can still watch... but only if it's unplugged from a charger?)

Thanks
So basically I can watch anything on catchup, except BBC (which I can still watch... but only if it's unplugged from a charger?)

Basically, yes. I think they make the rules intentionally convoluted to make people think they need to buy one when they don't.
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Basically, yes. I think they make the rules intentionally convoluted to make people think they need to buy one when they don't.

ok lol, i'm deffo not going to then. Probs won't be watching that much TV anyway.
You can just ignore them. They can’t force entry. They also have no way of proving that you watched something.

They are a private company

*licence
It is one license per room in halls as each room is a separate address... in a shared house it's one license between you. But as others have said - don't bother!
Just to add on what others have been saying...

You may get a few letters through the door, and it's just them targeting people at random. Without ever touching BBC or a TV, I had about 5 letters in my accommodation and so did my flatmates.

You'll be absolutely fine! Just air on the side of caution if needs be.

Joshua :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending