Dog tied to railway line and set on fire. Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheEnergizerRabbit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What happened there is instinctively tragic; of course the boys should be punished, but from the reformative POV i.e. So this isn't repeated next year with 'Charlie the annoying geek' playing the German Shepherd.

(Original post by Rei)
Evidently a douchebag, no need for me to say anything.
He's really not trying to be a douchebag, the philosophical point raised is a valid one. There is no morally, and more importantly, logically justifiable and consistent line drawn between fly and dog, nor between fish and cow...you get the point. The fact is, morally is based on the standpoint that first and foremost, the value of human life is infinite, and animal life is finite. The fallacy you are then drawn into, is value by association, i.e. that those who arbitrarily 'seem' to be more like us, hence have more value therefore: fly<dog. That line of logic is far from consistent, and morally dubious conclusions can be drawn from it. The easiest way to deal with this problem, is just base value statements on gut reaction and feeling, but if you do that, it's neither fair nor right to shout people down for questioning you.
imtired
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by loadmalz)
Come again?

Definately my first post in this thread.
Exactly, maybe everyone should read the thread before posting, i've had the same discussion with almost everyone here.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Come again?

Definately my first post in this thread.
I've often felt that sentences for animal cruely were way too lenient though. Oh, your avatar is alright. I usually go for black girls but she's good.
Adampolar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by imtired)
Another one?! I might just copy and paste what's already been said because i've really lost interest now.
LOL I know, I've lost a lot of faith in the human race due to some of these posters.
Rei
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TheEnergizerRabbit)
What happened there is instinctively tragic; of course the boys should be punished, but from the reformative POV i.e. So this isn't repeated next year with 'Charlie the annoying geek' playing the German Shepherd.

He's really not trying to be a douchebag, the philosophical point raised is a valid one. There is no morally, and more importantly, logically justifiable and consistent line drawn between fly and dog, nor between fish and cow...you get the point. The fact is, morally is based on the standpoint that first and foremost, the value of human life is infinite, and animal life is finite. The fallacy you are then drawn into, is value by association, i.e. that those who arbitrarily 'seem' to be more like us, hence have more value therefore: fly<dog. That line of logic is far from consistent, and morally dubious conclusions can be drawn from it. The easiest way to deal with this problem, is just base value statements on gut reaction and feeling, but if you do that, it's neither fair nor right to shout people down for questioning you.
In my defense, the only reason I said it was 'coz he told me to "STFU". I understand what he's trying to say.. but no, really.. the difference between a dog and fly are obvious.
2nd2god
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It is horrific but I do think dogs are overvalued compared to other animals

Somehow there is no moral problem at all in swatting a fly, we do it without even thinking
But when someone kills a dog, it seems to be different.
It's not like the dog feels pain and the fly doesn't
Suppose it's just an emotional attachment.
djmm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Publicly torture them, and broadcast it on BBC during peak time. Perhaps that's the only way to warn off the rest of these absolute trash that walk the streets now. I'd love to know who these people were - I'd have absolutely no remorse for beating them into the ground and setting them on fire. ****ing scum.

But no, they'll be taken to court and slapped in a young offenders with sky pool tables for a year before they come back out to do something else.

They, and anyone else who does such perverse acts should be made examples of - then perhaps stories like this will be less frequent. ****ing scum.
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Exactly, maybe everyone should read the thread before posting, i've had the same discussion with almost everyone here.
That's nice. Is that the end of your point? I'd really like to get back to replying to the original post, and the topic at hand... without the pressures of people being rather rude.
imtired
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Adampolar)
LOL I know, I've lost a lot of faith in the human race due to some of these posters.
This thread definately made me angrier than the article, i wish i could tie it to a railway line and set it on fire.
jess079
Report 11 years ago
I still cant beleive people are defending flies. Refer to my 2 previous posts.
And of course we can make an emotional argument...it's a huge factor that the human race has a moral connection with dogs
NeverMindThat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Kill the kids, tbh. Little ****ing brats.

Let's say how god-like they feel when we cut off their balls and feed it to the dog's litter.
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/34693

This reminded me of this. GET SOME PERSPECTIVE...
Adampolar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
Publicly torture them, and broadcast it on BBC during peak time. Perhaps that's the only way to warn off the rest of these absolute trash that walk the streets now. I'd love to know who these people were - I'd have absolutely no remorse for beating them into the ground and setting them on fire. ****ing scum.
Ever considered therapy? These kids haven't even been found guilty yet. Long live the British justice system of innocent until proven guilty, however frail it is looking currently, but I won't go off topic.
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Let me get this right... we're stating opinions, causing you to lose faith in mankind?

Get over yourself, ffs.
imtired
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's nice. Is that the end of your point? I'd really like to get back to replying to the original post, and the topic at hand... without the pressures of people being rather rude.
Sorry it's just that almost everyone has said the same thing you did, about setting them of fire and murdering them and cutting their balls off blah blah blah blah if you have anything that hasn't already been said i will discuss, sorry for being rude.
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NeverMindThat)
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/34693

This reminded me of this. GET SOME PERSPECTIVE...
I hope those kids get molested.
dsouzabnoel
Report 11 years ago
I definitely agree with u for I don't know why human is becoming so selfish.
that human can do anything for its own happiness:rolleyes:
jess079
Report 11 years ago
innocent until proven guilty? that isn't how our mind set works i am afraid. especialyl not an emotional case!
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sorry it's just that almost everyone has said the same thing you did, about setting them of fire and murdering them and cutting their balls off blah blah blah blah if you have anything that hasn't already been said i will discuss, sorry for being rude.
I haven't read anyone elses post, in all honesty. Good for them though, glad to know they share the same opinion as me.
TheEnergizerRabbit
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Rei)
In my defense, the only reason I said it was 'coz he told me to "STFU". I understand what he's trying to say.. but no, really.. the difference between a dog and fly are obvious.
Yes they are; flies tend to have wings for one. Moral value judgments between them are not, that is unless you wish use use horrendously unscientific statements like "Less evolved".
2nd2god
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jess079)
I still cant beleive people are defending flies. Refer to my 2 previous posts.
And of course we can make an emotional argument...it's a huge factor that the human race has a moral connection with dogs
Yeah but even so it seems like people care more about when a dog is killed than when a human is killed
or like the 10s of thousands of people who die in starvation every day in Africa
It's just a matter of peoples perspective being messed up.
It's only a dog at the end of the day.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.08%
Not great so far... (220)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.09%

Watched Threads