Dog tied to railway line and set on fire. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kolya
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TheEnergizerRabbit)
I'm not sure its ironic, I think it's a pity. These boys are guilty - Based on; witness reports? DNA evidence? signed confessions? or.... www.northantset.co.uk. Innocent until proven guilty should not be an ideal lost on a law student. The fact that I'm making this point the third time is.. sad.
Thank you for demonstrating that someone has some common sense and isn't a tool of the media.
2nd2god
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jess079)
Oh gosh really? And you know so much about me that I'm going to take that to heart.
Anyway we've gone way off the point of this thread. Basically it was a horrific deed that should never happen again. But there are worse things in life. I think is the basic conclusion?
Yeah I would agree with that
jgupta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 2nd2god)
Lol but it doesn't look after a number of it's people for example the homeless people, and the pensioners who have to choose to either "heat or eat"
they should be cared for before we even think about caring for animals.
It's all about priorties.
Caring for animals should be second to caring for people.
If a homeless person was tied to a railway line and set on fire...I'm sure people would care much more - it is clearly a more abhorrent act, but doing it to a dog, is still very bad because it is aware, can suffer, and it would be clear to those boys that it was in pain - yet they carried on with it.

So at least a major part of the concern is the mindset of those boys - I'm pretty sure there will be a positive correlation between people who think it is okay to do this to dogs and people who think it is okay to stab / beat up / kill humans.
imtired
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

I don't see any fire or ropes?
TheEnergizerRabbit
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Read my points above.
haha says the guy called "energiser rabbit"
Yes, my arbitrarily devised username, is more sad than a law student failing to grasp even the most basic of aspects of her degree. Your points above are ridiculously illogical and would get laughed out of a nursery, let alone a court of law.
jess079
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jgupta)
If a homeless person was tied to a railway line and set on fire...I'm sure people would care much more - it is clearly a more abhorrent act, but doing it to a dog, is still very bad because it is aware, can suffer, and it would be clear to those boys that it was in pain - yet they carried on with it.

So at least a major part of the concern is the mindset of those boys - I'm pretty sure there will be a positive correlation between people who think it is okay to do this to dogs and people who think it is okay to stab / beat up / kill humans.
Exactly.
And now I am off to bed. (not safe in the knowledge these ****ers are locked up)
Night everyone
2nd2god
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Yeah I agree the problem is more with their mentality more than actually the death of the dog, as we kill flies all the time without thinking and they clearly are aware and clearly suffer as well.
jess079
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TheEnergizerRabbit)
Yes, my arbitrarily devised username, is more sad than a law student failing to grasp even the most basic of aspects of her degree. Your points above are ridiculously illogical and would get laughed out of a nursery, let alone a court of law.
I am hardly trying to argue my point well. It was a few observations on a forum... (whilst watching NottingHill i would add)
Adampolar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Good lord I have never encountered somebody so obnoxious.
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I agree the problem is more with their mentality more than actually the death of the dog, as we kill flies all the time without thinking and they clearly are aware and clearly suffer as well.
I'm glad you agree that the mindset of these individuals is a primary concern...but I do not see anything trivial about the deliberate torture and killing of a dog.

I don't think that you can compare swatting flies to what they did to that dog. The brain of a fly has about 100,000 cells - no where near enough for it to form any sort of complex nervous system. The general consensus amongst biologists is that they do not feel pain, and there is little evolutionary basis for why they would benefit from this ability.
jess079
Report 11 years ago
"Good lord"...maybe you should get out more. Slight suggestion.
imtired
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Anyone still following this?
NeverMindThat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How ironic that I am doing a law degree. These boys are guilty. I would refuse to defend them.
It is simply a personal view though. Which I am entitled to
Good luck getting a job. You know absolutely NOTHING about this case beyond a few short newspaper clippings and even less about the boys.

The UK doesnt need lawyers with your attitudes. I should know, I am one.
jess079
Report 11 years ago
I'm glad you agree that the mindset of these individuals is a primary concern...but I do not see anything trivial about the deliberate torture and killing of a dog.

I don't think that you can compare swatting flies to what they did to that dog. The brain of a fly has about 100,000 cells - no where near enough for it to form any sort of complex nervous system. The general consensus amongst biologists is that they do not feel pain, and there is little evolutionary basis for why they would benefit from this ability.
Totally agree. 100%
2nd2god
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Have you ever swatted a fly and half killed it, and seen the amount of twitching and clearly suffering it is in then.
It blatently does suffer :s and their is no way a biologist can ever tell whether a fly can feel pain or not.
And we have many abilities that an evolutionary basis would say we wouldn't benefit from so that logic seems flawed.
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NeverMindThat)
Good luck getting a job. You know absolutely NOTHING about this case beyond a few short newspaper clippings and even less about the boys.

The UK doesnt need lawyers with your attitudes. I should know, I am one.
For ****s sake get a grip - how on Earth can you come to such conclusions based on a few offhand remarks on a casual, student forum on a Saturday night, about someone's future?

If this was in a proper debate, I am sure that she and everyone else here would appreciate the principle of 'guilty until proven innocent', and why it is vital for any liberal society.

However, whilst we do not know that *these* boys did it, we do know that someone did it - and the hatred is ultimately pointed at them.
NeverMindThat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by imtired)

I don't see any fire or ropes?
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/war...g.125566_t.jpg
imtired
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Have you ever swatted a fly and half killed it, and seen the amount of twitching and clearly suffering it is in then.
It blatently does suffer :s and their is no way a biologist can ever tell whether a fly can feel pain or not.
And we have many abilities that an evolutionary basis would say we wouldn't benefit from so that logic seems flawed.
Why would half kill it? Swatting means it's dead in a split second.
jess079
Report 11 years ago
Omg I am going to bed. I cannot beleive this has turned into a discussion about swatting flies. FLIES!! Get some bigger fish to fry in life than worrying about flies. please
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It is twitching because it is not 'programmed' to know what to do in this situation - it is probably attempting to fly, move or something else but cannot. It is not 'pain' as we feel it - if a fly could experience the world just as we do, then why would be need such a vastly more complex nervous system?

By your reasoning, what is the difference in killing a fly and a dog? What is the difference between killing a fly and a human - if they both suffer equally?

Please give me an example of such an ability in humans which cannot be accounted for by evolution
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.17%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.55%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.88%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.44%
There's nothing they could do (71)
29.96%

Watched Threads