Law & Politics at Alevel the same for uni's? Watch

abu.10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
major question, do uni's see these subjects as the same thing??
im looking at uni's such as Manchester, LSE, Sheffield, Birmingham & Nottingham, now will the see a Law A level and a Politics A level as the same?
vixky!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No.
beccarr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, technically they're completely different, but I see what you're getting at. They are the same 'level' subject and require about the same amount of work to get the same grade in each. It depends what subject you want to do. If you wish to do Government or Economics at LSE, politics is best. If you wish to do Law, the law might be best...LSE did not specify subjects when I applied for Law, and I had Law A-level, but I also had three other strong subjects. Politics and Law might be seen as 'softer' than Maths or Sciences, so it depends what you are pairing them with. It's the same for Nottingham too, but I didn't apply to the others:P
abu.10
Rep:
?
i was looking at doing History at uni in '09 with history, law and politics at A level. Im looking at getting ABB overall but was just wandering if uni's would look at Law and Politics as the same thing.
vixky!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They are totally different subjects so unis will not consider them the "same thing".

In terms of suitability, some universities may consider them both relatively "soft" subjects. From what I can gather, politics would be the better choice.

It really depends what universities you are applying to. If you are applying to Oxbridge/LSE/Durham, you may need to consider not taking law and politics both together (at least 2 out of 3 subjects should be traditional for top unis). If you're not applying to universities like that, it should be fine to do them both.
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
manchester have a list of not accepted and less preferred subjects *searches* for law degree anyway
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Grades AAA. Two AS levels are not accepted in place of one A Level.

We receive a large number of applications from very well qualified students and seek to ensure that places are offered to those who are best prepared to contribute to and benefit from the programme. As law is a theoretical subject, we will only consider qualifications where theory comprises at least 70% of the curriculum. We prefer to see traditional subjects in your A-Level choices. Furthermore, experience indicates that some subjects are more suited than others for preparing students to undertake the study of law at Manchester. In light of this, and given both the high volume of applications received and our endeavour to assist applicants in their efforts not to opt for courses for which they will not be considered, the School wishes to point out that there are subjects it will not normally include as part of the academic conditions of any offer made.

We do not accept the following subjects and they will only be considered as a fourth A-Level and will not therefore be accepted as part of a conditional offer:
Critical thinking, General studies, Media Studies, Art & Design (including Photography, Textiles, CDT & Design Tech), ICT, IT, Dance, Music Technology, Film Studies, Travel & Tourism, Health & Social Care and Home Economics.

The following subjects are less preferred but must still be a minimum of 70% theoretical to be accepted and will only be considered in combination with two traditional academic subjects:
Law, Communication Studies, Drama (including Theatre Studies & Performing Arts), Business Studies, Sociology, PE and Sports Studies.

These lists are not exclusive and if you are unsure whether your AS/A Level (or equivalent) subjects will be considered please contact us.

Unit grade information: The University of Manchester welcomes the provision of unit grade information which, like all other available information, will inform the consideration of applications. Unit grades will not normally form part of offer conditions, except for Mathematics programmes.
GCSE: A minimum of five GCSE A grades which must include English Language and Mathematics.

tough crowd..
abu.10
Rep:
?
i don't want to do law at uni!! i want to do HISTORY!!
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
LSE - in general

Applicants normally offer three A levels (A2s) in our generally preferred subjects, or two generally preferred subjects and one from the following list (this list is regularly reviewed by Admissions Tutors and is comprehensive at the time of going to press):

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Dance/Theatre Studies*
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Media Studies
Music Technology
Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism
River85
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by vixky!)
It really depends what universities you are applying to. If you are applying to Oxbridge/LSE/Durham, you may need to consider not taking law and politics both together (at least 2 out of 3 subjects should be traditional for top unis). If you're not applying to universities like that, it should be fine to do them both.
More Manchester than Oxbridge and Durham really. If applying to law, anyway.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by abu.10)
i don't want to do law at uni!! i want to do HISTORY!!

alright chill out. It was just a uni's perspective

I know LSE wasn't on your list either, but it's a pretty good guide
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A level: Grades AAA-AAB. This should include grade A in History. General Studies is welcomed but not included as part of the standard offer.

manchester - but there's no list of preferred subjects, which mean they don't care, but the law one may be a good guide for the uni's general opinion should competition get fiercer
River85
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, outside of law then no. They are two different A-levels after all even if there may be an overlap on one or two modules.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You'll need an A in history to have a good shot at top uni's, although lancaster is top 10 and by brother is doing history and politics there with a C in history but that was 2 years ago, their requirements may have changed. Have you actually seen the uni's you think you'll apply to or are you judging on reputation alone?
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
history BA at lancaster

Typical entry requirements

A/AS-levels: ABB from three A-levels. One (but only one) of these grades may be achieved from the average of two AS-level grades, one of which should have been taken in year 13, with each contributory grade in a different subject

General Studies: Accepted as one of 3, if 4 A-levels are offered

UCAS tariff: 320 UCAS tariff points from the above permitted combinations of A2/AS grades
abu.10
Rep:
?
im just considering my options you see, ive just done history, politics, law and spanish at AS level, and was hoping to do history and spanish at Uni. But i found my Spanish exam really hard!! and now im just considering my options without spanish
i guess i'll just have to wait until august 14th and see wot happens hey
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by abu.10)
im just considering my options you see, ive just done history, politics, law and spanish at AS level, and was hoping to do history and spanish at Uni. But i found my Spanish exam really hard!! and now im just considering my options without spanish
i guess i'll just have to wait until august 14th and see wot happens hey

yea, but i wouldn't give up on spanish, there's always re-sits If you just had one bad module, you should enter your module marks then they can see this, you can also ask your referee to mention that after a re-sit you should achieve your full potential, that what my philosophy section said
vixky!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by River85)
More Manchester than Oxbridge and Durham really. If applying to law, anyway.
The OP is applying for history.

Then again, it could be the same at Manchester. I don't know much about it as a uni.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by vixky!)
The OP is applying for history.

Then again, it could be the same at Manchester. I don't know much about it as a uni.
Although it's irrelevant to the OP but Manchester's law department will see taking law and politics as problematic as much as, if not more than, Durham.

Durham don't officially have a blacklist (with the exception of general studies and possibly critical thinking).

Manchester do, plus a list of "less preferred subjects". Law is on there and politics too (I think).

Any, such talk is irrelevant. I'll go away now.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
BBB to do history with spanish studies at lancaster - not bad for an insurance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.18%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.11%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.85%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.76%
There's nothing they could do (50)
28.09%

Watched Threads