?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
What tips for new year 12s
Espançais
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Be organised and use your frees - don’t think they’re all for sitting in Costa with your mates lol
13kaniae
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Agree with the comment above. But also, assuming that you are awaiting your gcse results; choose subjects that you really want to do, don't be pushed into taking subjects that you are really not interested in - this happened to me and I'm living with the regret. When I got my gcse results last year I had my heart set on doing psychology, sociology, and health and social care, but on the day because I had done better in science and English than I had in psychology, I was made to do Applied Science and English a literature, and because of the ways in which the timetable would be set out I couldn't do sociology. The only subject I wanted to do that I am doing is Health and Social Care. I do have the option to potentially resit year 12, but tbh it's just a load of hassle and means that I will be a year behind everyone else.

Remember to have fun too, it's not all about the work. Yes it is a big jump up from GCSE to A-Level, but you don't want to overwhelm yourself. I didn't really feel there was that much of a jump, but that just may be the different teaching styles. 🤷*♀️

Good luck with your results!
Espançais
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Also if you’re doing A levels and like me you don’t have AS exams at the end of yr12, just mocks, then try to revise the yr 12 as much as possible like you would for a real exam, as it will help you so much once you reach yr13. If you get everything from yr12 into revision note format then, you can go over it again much more easily when it come to revising for the real thing. (I did this for some subjects but not all and the ones I did were much less stressful)
Crapaud8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What subjects are you thinking of doing??
What are you thinking of doing after??

I would say ensure that you try to find what you want to do after sixth form as soon as possible. This will help you to do extracurricular things for your personal statement early on. Keep a log of all the things you've done for your personal statement as it will make it much easier to write.
Last edited by Crapaud8; 2 months ago
August00
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Use your free periods for coursework and revise at home. Unless you find it easier another way. By January you should be revising at least 2-3 hours a day but I would honestly recommend to start going through your work after school once you start sixth form ( if youre the type that has to go over things)

Keep at least one day free for you to just chill out.
Crapaud8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I didn't have want coursework, and most people only have it the second year. I used my frees to do homework and ensure I was confident with what was thought in the lesson. This meant that I could ask teachers for help on the day. Make sure you go over what you did in the lessons regularly and try to practice by doing past papers or past paper style questions.
Past papers are the best way of ensuring you're confident. Try and do as many as possible.
Last edited by Crapaud8; 2 months ago
Crapaud8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What A-levels are you thinking of doing?
milliedowley
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
USE YOUR FREES!!! I completely regret not properly using my frees for extra notes, coursework etc. You might want to dedicate certain frees in the week to certain subjects to make sure your doing an equal amount. Take decent notes in class as well, I fell behind really quickly at the start of the year and it’s taken me until now to catch up. Also don’t be upset if you go from getting A’s at GCSES to C’s & D’s at A Level mocks, it’s going to be a lot harder and you won’t be used to it. As long as you put the work in you’ll be okay, don’t stress too much about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads

Latest