The Student Room Group

Worried about accommodation (UWE)

I applied a little late for accommodation (in late June), and UWE can only guarantee accommodation if you applied before 8th June. I applied for Frenchay and City campus accommodation. Because I'm an international student from EU, I feel really stressed about this situation. I have gotten an email from accommodation services, that they can't give me offers (if there is any left for me) before 15th August because the A levels result day.

I don't know what to do now, should I wait for the results day or look/rent private accommodation somewhere before 15th?

Private halls are really expensive and all the inexpensive ones aren't available anymore. Also if I want to rent from the private providers, I will need UK based guarantor which can be a problem because I don't know anyone from UK who could be my guarantor. I have looked shared houses/studios from rightmove and spareroom etc., but I wouldn't want to rent before I have visited the property.

Do anyone have any experience about applying late for UWE accommodation and how possible it is to get a room if you applied in late June? And also does it have any impact that I come from outside the country and it is harder for me to find accommodation outside the university?
Is UWE your firm and do you already have your results?
Have you contacted accommodation and explained your situation? Have they said whether you will be on a waiting list and whether you will get priority? How many are on the list?
Have you asked the likelihood of being found a place either from people who cancel or dont make the grades or people who leave early?

I would ask the above.
2. Start saving money.
3. Start looking round at areas and available student rooms so you are familiar with what might be available. Bristol isnt cheap.
https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/index.cgi?&search_id=850990432&offset=0&sort_by=
4. Private sector will be more difficult because of the guarantor issue. It is possible to get insurance at about the cost of a months extra rent. The alternative is to pay the whole years money up front.
5. LL who arent through letting agents might waive the guarantor requirement.
6. You can also use clearing to find a course elsewhere as backup.

Be patient and hopeful then see what happens. If you cant find anywhere and cant afford accommodation, then you could get somewhere temp and wait till someone drops out.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Is UWE your firm and do you already have your results?
Have you contacted accommodation and explained your situation? Have they said whether you will be on a waiting list and whether you will get priority? How many are on the list?
Have you asked the likelihood of being found a place either from people who cancel or dont make the grades or people who leave early?

I would ask the above.
2. Start saving money.
3. Start looking round at areas and available student rooms so you are familiar with what might be available. Bristol isnt cheap.
https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/index.cgi?&search_id=850990432&offset=0&sort_by=
4. Private sector will be more difficult because of the guarantor issue. It is possible to get insurance at about the cost of a months extra rent. The alternative is to pay the whole years money up front.
5. LL who arent through letting agents might waive the guarantor requirement.
6. You can also use clearing to find a course elsewhere as backup.

Be patient and hopeful then see what happens. If you cant find anywhere and cant afford accommodation, then you could get somewhere temp and wait till someone drops out.

Yes, UWE is my firm choice and I already have my results (unconditional offer). I have asked accommodation about what is the probability to get a room after results day, but they can't say because it all depends how many don't make their grades. But I will probably contact accommodation services again and ask more about the situation and priority in their waiting list. Thank you for replying!
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi,

I need some help. I had my accommodation withdrawn and cancelled yet it has only been one day after the deadline (this was in june 22)

I could not do anything nor accept the accommodation offer as i was overseas and with horrible service meaning a did not recieve any email until i got back home.

I have emailed them, and i'm waitinting to call the enquiries. Im so scared as they did call me, but it came as a private number, so i assumed it was a scam or such things. They left a voice mail saying there are still people after me, i hope i can get a space.

And what should i do now, just wait for they're reply? Has anyone else been through this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending