The Student Room Group

Electronics vs Further Maths A Level

I have just completed my A1 courses (electronics, maths, compsci, Welsh bac) and hope to study computer science in university. I am aiming for some highly regarded ones.

Can anyone tell me to what degree do universities favour further maths over electronics? Electronics would be much easier for me (because I’d have to study the entire FM course alongside A2 maths) however I’m pretty sure FM is much more attractive.

I’m really worried atm because making the wrong decision could either overload me with work or lead to a rejection from my dream university. Thanks.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by Dönkster
I have just completed my A1 courses (electronics, maths, compsci, Welsh bac) and hope to study computer science in university. I am aiming for some highly regarded ones.

Can anyone tell me to what degree do universities favour further maths over electronics? Electronics would be much easier for me (because I’d have to study the entire FM course alongside A2 maths) however I’m pretty sure FM is much more attractive.

I’m really worried atm because making the wrong decision could either overload me with work or lead to a rejection from my dream university. Thanks.

What degree do you want to apply for and what universities are you thinking of going to?
Depends on which particular CS courses you're planning to apply to. For the more mathematical/theoretical ones (e.g. Edinburgh, Imperial, Oxbridge), FM would be much more useful. In general, it'll still probably be more useful than electonics for most computer science degrees, but perhaps less so than for those particular courses.

For computer engineering (or equivalently information engineering, sometimes electronic engineering also extends to this) then electronics is more useful as you will be dealing with the lower level systems more than in a CS course. However FM is also useful for those courses, and the universities named above and similar ones will likewise tend to benefit more from FM than electronics.

However, you still need to actually get appropriate grades to get into any of those courses, so if you think you'd only be able to get a B in FM, but an A or A* in electronics, just go with electronics and study the material in an extracurricular fashion if you like. Just bear in mind you're probably going to cover at least some of the FM material, and in some courses quite a lot of it, sooner or later.

@Blue_Cow might be able to advise on the relative usefulness of either based on their experiences of CS at Edinburgh perhaps?
Reply 4
Original post by Quick-use
What degree do you want to apply for and what universities are you thinking of going to?

I’m applying for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence in Bath, Aberystwyth, Edinburgh and Nottingham and also Computer Science and Philosophy in St Andrews. Thanks for replying :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends on which particular CS courses you're planning to apply to. For the more mathematical/theoretical ones (e.g. Edinburgh, Imperial, Oxbridge), FM would be much more useful. In general, it'll still probably be more useful than electonics for most computer science degrees, but perhaps less so than for those particular courses.

For computer engineering (or equivalently information engineering, sometimes electronic engineering also extends to this) then electronics is more useful as you will be dealing with the lower level systems more than in a CS course. However FM is also useful for those courses, and the universities named above and similar ones will likewise tend to benefit more from FM than electronics.

However, you still need to actually get appropriate grades to get into any of those courses, so if you think you'd only be able to get a B in FM, but an A or A* in electronics, just go with electronics and study the material in an extracurricular fashion if you like. Just bear in mind you're probably going to cover at least some of the FM material, and in some courses quite a lot of it, sooner or later.

@Blue_Cow might be able to advise on the relative usefulness of either based on their experiences of CS at Edinburgh perhaps?

Thank you so much for your reply, I accept that FM would be more useful for the course, I’m just concerned about the admission process: do you think I would be dismissed for choosing electronics over FM?

I’m applying for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence in Bath, Aberystwyth, Edinburgh and Nottingham and also Computer Science and Philosophy in St Andrews. Thanks you so much again for the reply
Original post by Dönkster
Thank you so much for your reply, I accept that FM would be more useful for the course, I’m just concerned about the admission process: do you think I would be dismissed for choosing electronics over FM?

I’m applying for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence in Bath, Aberystwyth, Edinburgh and Nottingham and also Computer Science and Philosophy in St Andrews. Thanks you so much again for the reply

As far as admissions goes, as long as it's not stated to be a requirement then it shouldn't, in theory, make any difference. I think only at Oxbridge or Imperial would they perhaps take into account if you didn't take FM...maybe.

Quick Reply

Latest