AH English Dissertation Watch

Eng.Enthus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Help!! Sitting Advanced Higher English this term and am currently working on my dissertation. My teacher hasn’t given my information and is adamant we do it ALL ourselves. Only said pick book(s).
QUESTION: is it suitable and still achieveable to get good marks if you only study ONE novel though in great depth
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Eng.Enthus)
Help!! Sitting Advanced Higher English this term and am currently working on my dissertation. My teacher hasn’t given my information and is adamant we do it ALL ourselves. Only said pick book(s).
QUESTION: is it suitable and still achieveable to get good marks if you only study ONE novel though in great depth
I definitely wouldn't recommend doing just 1 book unless it was a classic mammoth piece of literature such as The Canterbury Tales or The Tale of Genji.

That said, one of the skills being assessed in the AH dissertation is your ability to compare texts.
Eng.Enthus
Rep:
?
Thanks, this is helpful, just struggling with books that are actually similar other than genre
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Eng.Enthus)
Thanks, this is helpful, just struggling with books that are actually similar other than genre
Maybe I can help you? What books/genres do you like? Are you thinking about doing poetry, drama or prose?
Eng.Enthus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Maybe I can help you? What books/genres do you like? Are you thinking aboutt doing poetry, drama or prose?
Thank you so much, it’s simply finding books with similar themes within them and not so much as a whole, my teacher has gave me advice and said I should identify a theme in my first book and looking for similarities which has helped, thanks anyway though
habeas.corpus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I did AH English a few years ago and achieved a Band 1 A. It's a HUGE step up from Higher English and good preparation for uni. I'd say that the dissertation was 90% our own work. Our teacher explained to us the framework, gave us some guidance and marked two drafts. Ultimately it was almost entirely our own research, independent thought and effort. I'm pretty sure that you need to do a minimum of two texts because the dissertation is based on a comparative analysis. You can reclarify this with the head of your dept and look at the marking scheme and learning outcomes of the course.

Regards choosing books, your teacher should be able to provide you with guidance but it's largely up to you. I'd pick something that you're interested in. For me, I applied to study law so chose two fictional books which critiqued the legal system. I wrote about what techniques each author used to potray the legal system and what their central messages were. Both authors used completely different literary devices and had a completely different message about the legal system and justice. This gave me plently to write about, so I wouldn't find two books that are similar. You want two books that comment on the same theme, but in a different manner or view. Other themes that spring to mind are war, poverty, racism, social class and capitalism etc. Good luck .
Last edited by habeas.corpus; 2 weeks ago
Eng.Enthus
Rep:
?
(Original post by habeas.corpus)
I did AH English a few years ago and achieved a Band 1 A. It's a HUGE step up from Higher English and good preparation for uni. I'd say that the dissertation was 90% our own work. Our teacher explained to us the framework, gave us some guidance and marked two drafts. Ultimately it was almost entirely our own research, independent thought and effort. I'm pretty sure that you need to do a minimum of two texts because the dissertation is based on a comparative analysis. You can reclarify this with the head of your dept and look at the marking scheme and learning outcomes of the course.

Regards choosing books, your teacher should be able to provide you with guidance but it's largely up to you. I'd pick something that you're interested in. For me, I applied to study law so chose two fictional books which critiqued the legal system. I wrote about what techniques each author used to potray the legal system and what their central messages were. Both authors used completely different literary devices and had a completely different message about the legal system and justice. This gave me plently to write about, so I wouldn't find two books that are similar. You want two books that comment on the same theme, but in a different manner or view. Other themes that spring to mind are war, poverty, racism, social class and capitalism etc. Good luck .
Thank you, this was very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (216)
12.39%
Excited (161)
9.23%
Worried (308)
17.66%
Terrified (385)
22.08%
Meh (180)
10.32%
Confused (37)
2.12%