BTEC for US scholarship? Watch

aaarrrooonnn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm currently studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computer Science and I've just finished my first year with D*D* (the highest distinction grade) and I'm predicted D*D*D* for the end of the course. I'm also taking Core Maths (equivalent to an AS Level) next year and I'm aiming for an A in that.

My GCSE's weren't great, with 6 (including ECDL) A*-C grades and 4 with a D.

Other attributes that I can bring to an application are my experience in music (9 years tabla, 1 year violin, 1 year digital piano) and 4 years community service, playing the tabla at the temple. I've also achieved a brown belt (one off black) in kickboxing and spend my time going to the gym and programming.

I live with my grandmother, who receives pension, and I would love nothing more than to study in the US, however there is no way that tuition can be paid for. My ideal university is the University of Miami, however I'm also open to Florida Tech, FIU and a variety in California.

Will any of this be enough to secure a full-ride scholarship: merit or need-based? And what else can I do before applying to increase my chances? BTEC's are often frowned upon and I'm not sure how US universities look at them. My other option would be to apply to degree apprenticeships but I'll be miserable if I stay in the country.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you talked to those unis or checked the website to see if they are familiar with btecs and they can give you any indication at least on the academic level what competitive qualifications are needed? It sounds as though the UK would be bad for you so good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (142)
13.3%
Excited (96)
8.99%
Worried (198)
18.54%
Terrified (239)
22.38%
Meh (85)
7.96%
Confused (31)
2.9%