Methods for memorising hundreds of definitions Watch

Fruitbasket786
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
For those who have done A level science, you've generally have to remember some definitions as such. I'm trying to study for a resit in university and I found it a pain to purely try to memorise all the definitions. It's not that I'm trying to avoid learning the topic at hand but over 70% of the paper are recalling definitions and I know it sounds bazaar but does anyone know the best way.

I've tried using the look, cover, write, check method and it's been helping me out quite a bit but I can't help but feel embarrassed having to use something that primary school kids use to memorise things. I haven't had any luck finding anything online that talks about how efficient this method is. Making stories for the definitions don't seem useful either because there's just far too many and a novel would end up being made you know?

username4894900
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
try brainscape or Anki - I find both apps very useful
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I just read the definitions in context a lot.
timif1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Use Anki
Fruitbasket786
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
I just read the definitions in context a lot.
Yeah that's what I've been doing, I've arranged all the definitions by topics and have been doing them one by one. I really just wish there was a shortcut to all this honestly!

(Original post by timif1)
Use Anki
I've heard people mention the app but I haven't tried it yet is it really all it's said out to be? It's a flashcard app right?
timif1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fruitbasket786)
Yeah that's what I've been doing, I've arranged all the definitions by topics and have been doing them one by one. I really just wish there was a shortcut to all this honestly!

I've heard people mention the app but I haven't tried it yet is it really all it's said out to be? It's a flashcard app right?
Yes it is. It uses these scientific methods called active recall and spatial repetition which are among the most effective ways of learning. YouTube and Google have more info on this. It's free as well
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sometimes expressing the formula in words is sufficient.
E.g. potential difference is work done per unit charge, or the Tesla is the magnetic flux density required to exert 1N of force on a 1m wire carrying 1A of current.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (111)
14.27%
Excited (75)
9.64%
Worried (148)
19.02%
Terrified (179)
23.01%
Meh (50)
6.43%
Confused (21)
2.7%