Writing vs typing university notes? Watch

infiinitee_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I believe I retain information through writing on pen and paper but would definitely struggle to capture all the information during lectures if I did so. Hence, I am currently typing my notes during lectures and only 'handwriting' (digital notes) during my revision. However, whilst I had invested in an Apple pen/tried digital notes, they aren't as effective. Should I return to handwriting my notes? And if anyone has any suggestions on study methods I would love to hear them! Thanks!

Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by infiinitee_)
I believe I retain information through writing on pen and paper but would definitely struggle to capture all the information during lectures if I did so. Hence, I am currently typing my notes during lectures and only 'handwriting' (digital notes) during my revision. However, whilst I had invested in an Apple pen/tried digital notes, they aren't as effective. Should I return to handwriting my notes? And if anyone has any suggestions on study methods I would love to hear them! Thanks!
I plan to type when I go to University (although I am like yourself; I retain information from writing over and over again) mainly because my typing speed is about 80 wpm, much faster than writing.

You could always type in lectures and write when you get home for studying purposes. Perhaps you could write down notes, yet record the lecture to get the things you may have missed.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I do a mixture of both - I usually handwrite the key points during the lecture, then type notes when I'm doing the further reading.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello there!

You could try to audio record your lectures, then you can re listen, pause and take notes in your spare time.

I found audio recordings really useful when it came to revising - for my classes they were recorded and available to us.

Hope this helps!

Ruth :zorro:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (123)
14.06%
Excited (85)
9.71%
Worried (165)
18.86%
Terrified (200)
22.86%
Meh (63)
7.2%
Confused (25)
2.86%