MSc Psychology Conversion Course Help Watch

portvaldes
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, got an offer from Nottingham for the psychology conversion course. I did Economics for undergrad. Was hoping to either become a counsellor or fuse the two degrees and work in Behavioural Economics.

Could anyone who has done or is doing the conversion course please let me know how intense/difficult it is, whether it's worth it, job prospects and brief me on the process to become a counsellor. Also are the qualifications valid to be a counsellor abroad?

Thanks, I can't make this decision on my own as I know nothing about it and no one who's done it for advice
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by portvaldes)
Hi, got an offer from Nottingham for the psychology conversion course. I did Economics for undergrad. Was hoping to either become a counsellor or fuse the two degrees and work in Behavioural Economics.

Could anyone who has done or is doing the conversion course please let me know how intense/difficult it is, whether it's worth it, job prospects and brief me on the process to become a counsellor. Also are the qualifications valid to be a counsellor abroad?

Thanks, I can't make this decision on my own as I know nothing about it and no one who's done it for advice
I don't think you need a psychology course to become a counsellor. There are separate counselling courses which your degree should make you eligible for. If you want to work abroad you need to check what qualifications are accepted where you plan to work.

Info about where grads end up for a course will be on the website or you can email and ask.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Counselling isn't anything to do with psychology, although there are a few joint honours knocking around.

https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/caree...ling/training/ this is the BACP's version of how to become a counsellor. I don't know whether they are valid abroad, there is a framework of equivalance in EU qualifications so for an EU country much more likely to port.

Masters' degrees that are conversions for Psychology are popular. I haven't personally done one, but did think about it and met a lot of people who have done them. Masters' degrees are ten a penny for Psychology students, around 1 in 4 that have a BA or BSc have a master's. Worth it? Impossible to answer, obviously from your point of view you have one of the best courses for employment prospects and you are then adding another whole area to that, so that's a positive.

As for intensity you may have to bear in mind that some, some, have very low contact hours (just as some undergrad Psychology degrees have very low contact hours). Issues with conversion courses are wrestling with software, writing a major dissertation on a topic they may be less familiar with and so on. There will be those with higher contact hours, but this is something that varies between universities.

To try and answer two of your threads at the same time the LQ/median/UQ for Economics MScs are substantially higher than those for Psychology. I'm not suggesting you read something into that in particular, just pointing out the Psychology earnings are poor compared to other subjects (and at particular universities particularly stark).
portvaldes
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
I don't think you need a psychology course to become a counsellor. There are separate counselling courses which your degree should make you eligible for. If you want to work abroad you need to check what qualifications are accepted where you plan to work.

Info about where grads end up for a course will be on the website or you can email and ask.
Wait so to be a counsellor I don't need to do the conversion course?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wait so to be a counsellor I don't need to do the conversion course?
Based on the above no
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.78%
Terrified (382)
22.2%
Meh (172)
9.99%
Confused (37)
2.15%