Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Im not bothering with Donovan but learning the answers for Ayer and Westphal
Emily0267
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Here's Emotivism in VERY simple terms.. basically says that what is right or wrong is merely only how the individuals feels about a particular issue. For example, 'Killing is wrong' would simply equate to 'I don't like killing.' Hope that helps
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I havent done this so please forgive my ignorance, but is that similar to relativism?
Limey.
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DeepStar)
Im not bothering with Donovan but learning the answers for Ayer and Westphal
Well Westphal better not come up, Sarah Tyler told my teacher not to bother looking at it. So I haven't even got it. I think Donovan's got more chance of cming up than Westphal.
Emily0267
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Amzzzz)
I havent done this so please forgive my ignorance, but is that similar to relativism?
Yes I suppose it is! VERY similar.

Im having real trouble going through Donovan Really hope its Ayer!! And I havent even touched Westphal, is it really stupid to just leave him out completely?? Everyone seems pretty sure he isnt going to come up though...
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well there will be a lot of ppl ****ed if he comes up - including whole schools so i wouldnt worry. Just know the stuff you've needed for your modules so far and im sure we'll all be fine
Im also sure itl seem a lot easier tomorrow when we've only got one paragraph in front of us rather than 2 long essays lol!
Emily0267
Report 11 years ago
Lets hope so!! Best of luck for tomorrow everyone xx
LauraPepper
Report 11 years ago
Are there any sample answers for Donovan yet? Set answers for part B?
DeepStar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Limey.)
Well Westphal better not come up, Sarah Tyler told my teacher not to bother looking at it. So I haven't even got it. I think Donovan's got more chance of cming up than Westphal.
Are you kidding me :eek: :eek: I hoping it does come up, its a lot easier than the other two!

Since there are only three texts, I think they all have just as much chance of coming up *crosses her fingers for Ayer or Westphal*
LauraPepper
Report 11 years ago
Arghhh....perhaps stupid, but i haven't even looked at Westphal because of what i've read on here - - eek.
Waterish
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had a go at a Donovan essay. If anyone wants to read it it's here

I'm a bit rusty, so it's not brilliant, but it definitely felt good to try it. Amzzzz is right, it does feel easier. In fact, i had to stop myself writing stuff in the plan cos, in the end, i almost ran out of time. That sounds stupidly arrogant, but i think it'll be the same for everyone - once you sit and you're focussed the ideas will come to you.

Anyway, tell me what you think, any tips will be appreciated

Btw i like how, when you upload something to Media Fire, it says "verifying file..........waiting for verification to being....." I find it quite fitting
girlxoxo
Report 11 years ago
We began looking at it but Sarah told us not to bother.

Reckon it's blag-able.....

Donovan really needs to find a point and stick to it so i can tear him apart.....

:-)
GaryCarter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay I've finally finished reading Donovan.
Everyone's right, it's vrey hard to find a point to what he's saying. There's nothing really I can criticise. While I like reading the second half about I-You and I-It (because it's easy to understand) there is nothing constructive I can really add to it. I mean, I don't really know of any philosophers who have criticised or complimented I-You / I-It relationships.
StandingOnAir
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think he provides enough material on I-You/I-It relationships himself. My problem with Donovan is that he seems to do a lot of the analysis himself - I'm worried I'll just end up repeating.

The Ayer might be a bit hard to get your head around at first, but I much prefer it to Donovan's long-windedness.
girlxoxo
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by GaryCarter)
I mean, I don't really know of any philosophers who have criticised or complimented I-You / I-It relationships.

I think that is because.....

NO ONE WANTS TO GO NEAR DONOVAN!!!!

Plus, as far as i know... (which isn't very if i'm being truthful), it isn't a very popular idea. I certainly hadn't come accross it beofore!!

:rolleyes:
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Waterish)

Btw i like how, when you upload something to Media Fire, it says "verifying file..........waiting for verification to being....." I find it quite fitting
Hahahahahahahahahaha
princessn
Report 11 years ago
i don't reli understand that i -you and i - it relationship thing. Is it basically saying having knowledge of something is i - it but experiencing it is i - you??? stupid buber
Budgie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I-You is a personal, intimate relationship (knowing someone). I-it is just having knowledge of someone, 'from a distance' so to speak (knowing of).
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Waterish, I think that practice essay is amazing. Write like that in the exam and you WILL NOT have a problem

A couple of things from an objective perspective:

- Define a religious experience (or as well as one can) - this was a criticism I had from a teacher.
- Say about how the argument from religious experience is a posteriori, inductive and synthetic so at best it can only be probably true - this highlights the 'arrogant irresponsibility' Donovan talks about.
- Pick up on the dangers of 'just knowing' as this is something Donovan stresses in these first two paragraphs, i.e extremism, dictatorship etc.

They are just things i picked up from my end! But i think its great - and i love the falsification link - hadnt thought of that.
princessn
Report 11 years ago
thanku! if this is any help to anyone. My teacher said that the examiner is only likley to put the beginning of passages up rather than the middle or end because the beginnings have alot more 2 say rather than the middle which is just raffle and unneccesary or irrelevant info which u can't make links with!! i rekon this exam Q is going 2 be on the first paragraph on ayer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads