Edexcel Unit 4 Implications - Philosophy of Religion - Donovan Watch

GaryCarter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by princessn)
thanku! if this is any help to anyone. My teacher said that the examiner is only likley to put the beginning of passages up rather than the middle or end because the beginnings have alot more 2 say rather than the middle which is just raffle and unneccesary or irrelevant info which u can't make links with!! i rekon this exam Q is going 2 be on the first paragraph on ayer
I would love that. And yeah I doubt it would be on the middle, at least not the middle of Donovan since this is sort of a reply to his start. And the start of Donovan wouldn't be given, since it was the example they gave us. Therefore I would agree it's likely to be Ayer. Not so certain it'll be the start, I'd say the middle personally to make it at least a bit harder. But yeah, Ayer all the way.
Limey.
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Does Descartes' Cartesian Doubt imply that we should trust our intuition above our experience of things, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick? Therefore, is it a criticism of religious experience??
Limey.
Report 11 years ago
Anybody?
GaryCarter
Rep:
?
Waterish I've just read your essay too. It's insane! I'll be happy to mention 4 philosophers in parts A and B, you had about 20 altogether.

Having said that, I thought you were going way too in depth with that, a bit overboard with the philosophers. Not sure whether it's just me not understanding because I've never heard of half of them, but it's often very difficult to understand the point you're making. Perhaps spend a few sentences explaining what you're saying. Also, like Amzzzz said you might want to define things a bit more and relate more to the passage. Also it felt like your part A was the critical bit, not explaining. One last thing was I didn't see any implications stuff til the last sentence or so. I thought this was meant to be a very big factor of the question?
princessn
Report 11 years ago
yeh i agree gary.. i think you and i have got a bit obsessed with this implication things lol.. thats the downfall about this people go off ona tangent 2 much and 4get to answer the passage set.
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Limey.)
Does Descartes' Cartesian Doubt imply that we should trust our intuition above our experience of things, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick? Therefore, is it a criticism of religious experience??
All i know is that he disregarded his senses as unreliable as they can be deceiving. Therefore he didnt believe things HAD to be based on experience but you could reason successfully - he was a rationalist not empiricist. But intuition...hmmm...honestly dont know
GaryCarter
Rep:
?
Could you briefly discuss this please? I've tried looking it up but don't really understand it.
DeepStar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
thanku! if this is any help to anyone. My teacher said that the examiner is only likley to put the beginning of passages up rather than the middle or end because the beginnings have alot more 2 say rather than the middle which is just raffle and unneccesary or irrelevant info which u can't make links with!! i rekon this exam Q is going 2 be on the first paragraph on ayer

Ask me anything about Ayer or Westphal

Just dont start with part b of Donovan, Im still trying to get a point of that :rolleyes:
princessn
Report 11 years ago
Deepstar can u give the major points of westphals piece pls
Limey.
Report 11 years ago
In this, could you talk about corespondence/coherence theories of truth?? I have a feeling they're relevant but I'm not sure how I would fit them in. Anyone?
abigibl
Report 11 years ago
I thought Descartes was more under the opinion that what are senses hold cannot be proven to be true, and Burkley has misrepresented this to mean he believed we cannot trust our senses. [Or at least that is what one teacher told us when we asked the question 'which philospoher was it who believed we cnanot trust our senses? Descartes?' after completely making us feel stupid]. He said Plato could be used, due to teh World of Forms.However our other teacher has been using Descartes all along.
So in conclusion, I don't know.
abigibl
Report 11 years ago
Correspondence theory of truth fits in perfectly around the idea of being right, where the sense or certainty (or intuition) corresponds with the objective physical reality. It kinda draws into William James ideas on a 'real' religious experience.
DeepStar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Deepstar can u give the major points of westphals piece pls
I've posted a thread with the model answers and main points for all three texts
Limey.
Report 11 years ago
Can you send send us the link?? Please.

On p115, it says 'the position considered in the previous section has seemed particularly unconvincing to some of its contemporary philosophical critics' - I've got Russell, Dawkins, Freud written in the margin but I don't actually know what they say in relation to this. Can anybody enlighten me??
Limey.
Report 11 years ago
Or any other 'contemporary philosophical critics' for that matter.
DeepStar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Can you send send us the link?? Please.

On p115, it says 'the position considered in the previous section has seemed particularly unconvincing to some of its contemporary philosophical critics' - I've got Russell, Dawkins, Freud written in the margin but I don't actually know what they say in relation to this. Can anybody enlighten me??
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=607140

These were the model answers I was given
princessn
Report 11 years ago
god im scared
xangelbabyx
Report 11 years ago
sorry i kno its late to ask but do think for the part b of the essay i shuld support or crititise donavon

i dont have any philosophical names i can use ..*** sum 1 jst quicky give me a couple of names and there views pllllllllsssssssssssss
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It really depends which paragraph comes up.

If you want to support religious experience use Swinburne - Priniciples of Credultiy and Testimony, H.P.Owen - intuitive awareness of other people suggests we can also have intuitive awareness of God.

If you want to argue against religious experience use Ayer -can't be verified, Dawkins - delusion, Freud - 'psychological crutch'...the fact they are subjective...

Just revise religous experience...type it into google!! lol
sunburnt_note
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The problem is, though, Donovan overall is about religious experience, but most of it isn't - it's about intuition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.54%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.46%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.3%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.25%
There's nothing they could do (42)
27.45%

Watched Threads