English Lit (Edexcel) Unit 6 - Unseen PROSE! Watch

brokenheroes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i wrote a LOT about language. there was a lot to say: personification, onomatopoeia, similes etc which was to do with the setting. also the sentences were quite short and reflected the speech in a certain part of it.
i wrote about the contrast between the two characters, how she was described vividly and he wasn't at all, interesting since the wife said "i wonder what sort of woman she is" or something.
i also wrote about the importance of "comfort" - that was kinda clutching at straws but the word was repeated a lot so i tried to fit that in, the clock, the importance of sound - that the wind goes quiet when they start to talk maybe indicating the importance of the dialogue.

meh, i think it went quite well, the best part about the unseen prose is thats its your interpretation so there are no wrong answers
brightxburns
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
OK, well the Edexcel Spec says this:

'NB - Students who answer a question on unprepared poetry in Section A must answer a question on either drama or prose texts in Section B, and students who answer a question on unprepared prose in Section A must answer either on drama or poetry texts in Section B'

So I guess since you were doing two drama texts, you had a choice. Lucky!
llobo1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ploop)
We got told it was entirely our choice, although we compared two plays, not novels, so that might be it?
People who compare drama are allowed to choose whether they do poetry or prose in the unseen. Anyone who does comparison of novels has to do the poetry unseen, and anyone who does poetry comparison has to do the prose unseen.
Yawn-er
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ended up writing about incest for the poem: 'Letter to Barbados'.

I hope I'm not the only one... -_-;
brokenheroes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ploop)
brokenheroes, your essay sounds incredible. I have to say, there were some language points (like the simile of the ship) that I noticed, but didn't really know how to write it relevant to my essay, so left it out. I rather regret that now. I wrote about how the attention was on Mrs Glasse too and how her character is developed far more fully than Ralph's, but also more subtly too. I wrote about how the personified house ("creaked bones") contrasted with the youthful Mrs Glasse (I hope that counts as language point) and said how the wind was pathetic fallacy. It's weird, I wrote a fair bit for this, yet very little of it, on reflection, seems to be about AO3.

It's odd, I can remember more about what I wrote for the prose than for my The Tempest/Translations essay, which I actually enjoyed more.
awww shucks thank you :love:
it kind of has to be because i was overcome with a sudden bout of hunger in the translations/tempest q which threw me off completely, i mean my stomach was SO LOUD the girl next to me was giggling the question was so easy as well.. (a) so i need a good prose essay to balance it out.
ah well, good times. i'm sure you did just fine! as i said, there are no right and wrong answers, its just the way you present your ideas and as long as you hit all the AOs no matter how briefly you'll be fine
llobo1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by brokenheroes)
awww shucks thank you :love:
it kind of has to be because i was overcome with a sudden bout of hunger in the translations/tempest q which threw me off completely, i mean my stomach was SO LOUD the girl next to me was giggling the question was so easy as well.. (a) so i need a good prose essay to balance it out.
ah well, good times. i'm sure you did just fine! as i said, there are no right and wrong answers, its just the way you present your ideas and as long as you hit all the AOs no matter how briefly you'll be fine
haha lol. Same for me... well not the hunger ... but i really need to do well in the first question. I couldn't really be bothered on the last question. So fingers crossed
Bella_trixxx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah, I hate unseen prose questions so, sooo much... I did actually pick up that he was attracted to her, but my quality of analysis was actually fairly rubbish, hardly any technical terms Thank God the Blake&Betj quesiton was nice, it should balance everything out... *crosses fingers*
llobo1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Bella_trixxx)
Ah, I hate unseen prose questions so, sooo much... I did actually pick up that he was attracted to her, but my quality of analysis was actually fairly rubbish, hardly any technical terms Thank God the Blake&Betj quesiton was nice, it should balance everything out... *crosses fingers*
Seems that everyone is talking about Blake&betj. Am i the only person who did The Tempest and Translations on the second section?
Jhawkins
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can't remember, but all I know is how I blabbed on about how I didn't like Mrs Glasse.
llobo1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ploop)
Not at all. I was actually quite annoyed with the questions, I spent a good 5 minutes deliberating over which one was nicer! Both about language, both enjoyable to write, it was a difficult choice (I did the one about 'actions speak louder than words').
yeah same. But i don't think i did that one very well despite the fantastic question. I couldn't decide which one to do, so i shut my eyes and stabbed the paper with my pen :p:.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads