Candescence
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
The plane \Pi_1 passes through the P, with position vector i+2j-k and is perpendicular to the line L with equation:

3i-2k +\lambda(-i+2j+3k)

a) show the cartesian equation of \Pi_1 is x-5y-3z=-6

Can anyone explain where the 5 comes from? chances are i'll get stuck on the rest of the question after this, but for now i just don't know where the 5 comes from.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think that's a typo. I remember changing one of my question papers last week when someone spotted a type and this seems to be it. The 2 should be a 5 in the original question I believe.
Candescence
Rep:
?
(Original post by silent ninja)
I think that's a typo. I remember changing one of my question papers last week when someone spotted a type and this seems to be it. The 2 should be a 5 in the original question I believe.
Oh thank god, i thought that the 2 was probably a typo because it worked fine if i put 5 in. But since i lost my textbook i don't have anything to check my method against >.<

Thanks
Candescence
Rep:
?
On the same question:

The plane \Pi_2 contains the line L and passes through Q,i+2j+2k

c)find the equation of \Pi_2 in the form r=a +sb +tc

i get a is 3i-2k and b is -i+5j+3k but the answer scheme says c is 2i-2j-4k which i don't understand =/

Thanks in advance.
Pixie-Goblin
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You have to find two non-parallel vectors from a starting point, in this case 3i-2k. So, we know a line which lies on the plane (line L) as spotted. Now the next step is to use the other piece of information given. We know that Q lies on the plane. So how can you link Q in to get the second vector?
Candescence
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pixie-Goblin)
You have to find two non-parallel vectors from a starting point, in this case 3i-2k. So, we know a line which lies on the plane (line L) as spotted. Now the next step is to use the other piece of information given. We know that Q lies on the plane. So how can you link Q in to get the second vector?
Oh right, that's really easy :p: thanks.

It would be just as valid to use -2i +2j +4k wouldn't it? since the direction of the line doesn't matter, only that it's parallel.
Pixie-Goblin
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
indeed, in that case the equivalent t value would just be a negative but it still works out no problem
Candescence
Rep:
?
Great, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.41%
They might tell the bully (17)
10.9%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
17.95%
It might lead to more bullying (58)
37.18%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.56%

Watched Threads