The Student Room Group

Muslim interfaith marriages

I see it becoming more common amongst the Muslims I have met(I have met a lot).

But one thing is that I see loads of men marrying women from other religious backgrounds, but I see very few Muslim women doing the same. I do know a few Muslim women who married non-Muslims, but compared to men it is much less likely.

Particularly the men I met from Iran, Turkey and Kurdish men. I see a lot of them marrying white girls. I actually see it as a positive thing. But I'm just curious to why there is a bigger stigma attached to women doing it.

Scroll to see replies

The reason why you see very few Muslim women marrying non-Muslim men is because its haram.
Some islamic sects allow both women and men to marry people of other religions.
Many sects allow men to marry outside of the religion but strongly discourage women from doing so.
There are also a few sects that forbid all interfaith marriage and a few groups the have banned sunni-shia marriages too.
women are most fussy
men just want something to pump. they'll take anyone

i've read posts from asian men who have been rejected by asian women so they marry a white one and then brag about it to asian women haha in desperation to make asian women jealous its like buddy if they rejected you then they wouldn't be jealous and 2. you can smell your bitterness from here. if you are so happy with your non-asian wife why are you trying to make asian women jealous??
Reply 4
Muslim Men are allowed to marry Christian/Jewish Women(But not Polytheist or Atheist). Muslim Women can only marry Muslim Men according to a Authentic Hadith.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
women are most fussy
men just want something to pump. they'll take anyone

i've read posts from asian men who have been rejected by asian women so they marry a white one and then brag about it to asian women haha in desperation to make asian women jealous its like buddy if they rejected you then they wouldn't be jealous and 2. you can smell your bitterness from here. if you are so happy with your non-asian wife why are you trying to make asian women jealous??

But what happens to all the leftover Muslim women that are too many because so many of the guys have married non-Muslims?
Reply 6
Original post by Neptism7
Muslim Men are allowed to marry Christian/Jewish Women(But not Polytheist or Atheist). Muslim Women can only marry Muslim Men according to a Authentic Hadith.

I know this, but I'll be honest I really don't understand why this is. It doesn't make sense
I also fancied marrying a non muslim man the reason we dont do it its cause its haram and forbidden for women while its okay for men cause the children take up the mother faith... i dont mind marrying a non muslim but most of them don’t see me as a potential wife or gf cause they assume am religious and will not accept them
Why would you want to marry a non-Muslim...
Original post by Carlo96
But what happens to all the leftover Muslim women that are too many because so many of the guys have married non-Muslims?

lol good thing most muslim men want up to 4 wives then... and that a lot of them end up divorcing their non-muslim wives at some point
Original post by Carlo96
I know this, but I'll be honest I really don't understand why this is. It doesn't make sense

There's a specific Hadith that clarifies it but I can't seem to find it.
It's mostly based on safety. Interfaith marriage isn't something simple, many compromises must be made by both partners. Therefore, there is a potential for a outbreak of violence where the women could be the victim. For example, which faith the child chooses to follow.
Another reason is the restrictions Islam places on Muslim Men in a relationship. These restrictions must be followed by Muslim Men as they are ordered to. However, Non Muslim Men may not have the same restrictions to be subdued by.
Also note that Muslim Men should push to marry Muslim Women rather than Non Muslim Women. Love shouldn't be prioritized over faith.
Hope that clarifies everything.
Original post by Carlo96
I see it becoming more common amongst the Muslims I have met(I have met a lot).

But one thing is that I see loads of men marrying women from other religious backgrounds, but I see very few Muslim women doing the same. I do know a few Muslim women who married non-Muslims, but compared to men it is much less likely.

Particularly the men I met from Iran, Turkey and Kurdish men. I see a lot of them marrying white girls. I actually see it as a positive thing. But I'm just curious to why there is a bigger stigma attached to women doing it.

For men it's allowed, but muslim woman are preferred.

For woman it's not allowed, idk why.
Original post by Carlo96

Its haram but some dont care including me i rather be happy with a non muslim than miserable with a muslim
Original post by Carlo96

Because men are MORE LIKELY to not get manipulated by women. So a women won’t be able to change his religion. If a woman married a Christian, she can easily get manipulated and change religions. I’m not saying it’s not possible for a man to get manipulated by a women, I’m just saying men are more likely to
I think it is stupid how people restrict themselves to marrying someone from the same faith/race etc as them only just because their religion forbids interfaith marriages. What if they never meet someone or what if they do but they aren't compatible? Just because they're the same doesn't mean the marriage will work. Marriage is about compatibility and being happy together for life. I think people should marry whoever they want and not think a about beliefs/faith,race etc. They definitely shouldn't think about what others will say especially family because at the end of the day it is their life none else's and they have to live with the person they chose,
Original post by Studentnewcastle
Its haram but some dont care including me i rather be happy with a non muslim than miserable with a muslim

that sounds like a statement of disbelief [in Islam]
its permitted for a man to marry a woman of the book however it is worse than marrying a Muslim woman
it is prohibited for a muslim woman to marry a non muslim and this has been the majority opinion since the time of the sahaba
I believe it's to do with when the married couple have kids, the kids will take the fathers religion. I may be wrong
Reply 18
Original post by samrichardsonn
I believe it's to do with when the married couple have kids, the kids will take the fathers religion. I may be wrong

But the child is more likely to take the mother's religion. If you look at who generally does the more nurturing for the child, it is the mother. Even in cases where the parents are divorced, it is usually the mother who keeps the children.
Reply 19
Original post by Studentnewcastle

Good on you. I know there are so many Muslim girls like this, but maybe family and social pressures prevent them from expressing their views.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending