Kater Murr
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
No, this is not a special kind of AIDS caught while sleeping.

I'm curious as to whether there are any sleeping pills/formulas that are available to buy in chemists (rather than having to get a prescription). This is because it takes me quite a long time to get to sleep at night often, and I'd just like something to use occasionally when I really need it.

I've used paracetamol before, and I've been advised that antihistamines will work, but these aren't designed for sleeping, obviously, and I'm wary of the side-effects. So, are there any on the market that are reasonably strong (Nightol etc. don't work) and don't have negative side-effects?
becki08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was going to suggest Nytol but as you said that doesn't work I think you'd probably need to get something on prescription (I may be wrong though). Have you tried other things such as a drink of milk/lavender oil on pillow/relaxation music to help you sleep? I find those things help.
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Come on people, this is my health we're talking about
Tyrannosaurus Cal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm guessing most people (like me) clicked on this because we thought we'd find some kind of hilarious "Can sleeping cause AIDS?" thread...:p:

I'm afraid I have no idea really, probably best to ask the chemist in the shop, they'd be able to recommend something nice...
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it depends really..

i find i sleep better if the tv is on..sometimes i pop on family guy and fall asleep while watching it, sad i know but it helps me

lavender is good aswell though, don't do drugs mind..im not a fan of them, not a REAL sleep you know

ermm, also try winding down during the night, eg turn off the computer half an hour before hand, have a long bath, relax etc
thegreatstupendo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you want something very strong, you could try laudanum?
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegreatstupendo)
If you want something very strong, you could try laudanum?
There is that.

Except that it's no longer manufactured.
Cowberg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bounce on your bed!
Listen to Brian Eno!
Run around your village/hamlet/garden/dog!
Invest in an exercise bike!
Bang your head on the wall a minute before sleepsleep!
Imagine yourself as a fencing sheep!

Who needs drugs, eheheh?
givvy
Report 11 years ago
I used to take kalms till I found out they can affect your short-term memory [not so helpful during exams]
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
http://www.businessballs.com/insomni...rders_aids.htm (Look at this, I used some of the things they suggested, although I think you want medical aids?)

Have you tried; Sleep-Eze, Sominex, Nytol, and Unison, although these do have side effects I've found.

I once used Zolpidem, that definitely sends you to sleep, but the sides effects outweigh the benefits.

I don't think there are any without the side effects, you just have to find one that suits you.
Signor Optimist
Report 11 years ago
So you dont have AIDS?
Jordan1990
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Murr)
No, this is not a special kind of AIDS caught while sleeping.

I'm curious as to whether there are any sleeping pills/formulas that are available to buy in chemists (rather than having to get a prescription). This is because it takes me quite a long time to get to sleep at night often, and I'd just like something to use occasionally when I really need it.

I've used paracetamol before, and I've been advised that antihistamines will work, but these aren't designed for sleeping, obviously, and I'm wary of the side-effects. So, are there any on the market that are reasonably strong (Nightol etc. don't work) and don't have negative side-effects?
Try taking Kalms sleep tablets
They're a natural herbal remedy so no need to worry about addictions or anything.
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Signor Optimist)
So you dont have AIDS?
No, I do.
Absurd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Natrasleep, Somnus, Sleepeaze, Horlicks?
Cal.
Report 11 years ago
If you're anything like me, your standard (ie not over the counter stuff) simply won't work, I ended up having to accept that I'm only gonna get 3-5 hours a night unless it's a weekend, which is better than being dependant on drugs I guess...
web_surfer17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
rohypnol works wonders
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are you asking for a special kind of sleeping pill for people with AIDS? Don't normal sleeping pills work, or?
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
(Original post by HJV)
Are you asking for a special kind of sleeping pill for people with AIDS? Don't normal sleeping pills work, or?
No, I don't really have AIDS. I edited the thread title so that people would look at it, because what I really want is sleep AIDS.

On topic, whenever I see your name I read it as HIV.
Jabbamuffin
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
I use an own brand, but any brand that has:

Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride

Works for me
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Melatonin

You can't buy it in stores in the UK, you have to buy it online.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads