The Student Room Group

I want to get into swimming but...(self-esteem and health)

This may be TMI, so don't read if you don't like to read personal stuff. Also, this is so embarassing but I have to talk to someone.

I want to improve my health overall, and my parents recommended a sport because I've been really stressing myself these days and my hair just keeps on falling.

So, I really don't know if I'll feel comfortable. I'm a girl and I have no idea how to cope with swimming when I'm on my period and I'm just too scared to use a tampon, and I'm also afraid of cramps when swimming. Also any hairs on my legs that are visible or cellulite. I'm also uncomfortable about my breasts being too visible for the swimsuit.

With the personal things aside, I don't know how swimming is like, I'd like to know if it's fun and what kind of things you do. (I want to try a club).
I don't think I'll be comfortable when my ears are logged with water, and once when I did a flip, my head hurt for 2 hours afterwards. I did a handstand and my eyes just hurt from the pressure underneath. So is swimming the one for me?

Also how long does it take to stop being so tired? I can't swim a whole line and I don't want to he that amateur who doesn't know how to do anything.
This is an extensive list.... I’d wouldn’t say swimming is for you
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
This is an extensive list.... I’d wouldn’t say swimming is for you

Thank you for your reply
Reply 3
I don’t spend a lot of time around pools but when I do, I wear swim shorts and a swimsuit with an inbuilt bra. From what I can remember of swimming, it’s quite fun and water logged ears don’t happen too often (I wasn’t doing any flips or handstands though). Water aerobics seems interesting to me as well as just doing more walking and building up to jogging couch to 5k style.
don't swim when you're on your period obviously

and get a better fitting swimming suit?
Reply 5
tbh you sound conflicted. do you want me to tell you to enjoy swimming? like, do you want me to tell you not to worry about the hair/cellulite/boobs/cramps/etc?

perhaps you think that's the obvious answer but to me it isn't. i don't enjoy swimming and i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything. if swimming is just going to make you uncomfortable, there are dozens of other sports you could try - we don't all have to like the same stuff. i used to love running (got lazy lately) but not everyone wants to be a runner and not many people feel guilty about not liking it.

that said, if swimming is something you 'want to overcome' like it's a personal goal, i will tell you that there are few perfect bodies at the pool and once you're in the water, no one will see your legs or your boobs; you could even wear a long t-shirt if you like. or go at a not busy time. you don't have to go swimming on your period - take that week off and do something else. i don't know how long it takes to be a good swimmer, but every time you do it it will get easier. the important thing is to not be so hard on yourself. do what you want :smile:
Reply 6
I'm not obese but I am insecure of like stretch marks and stuff.

Original post by Corps
I don’t spend a lot of time around pools but when I do, I wear swim shorts and a swimsuit with an inbuilt bra. From what I can remember of swimming, it’s quite fun and water logged ears don’t happen too often (I wasn’t doing any flips or handstands though). Water aerobics seems interesting to me as well as just doing more walking and building up to jogging couch to 5k style.

Thank you for your reply :biggrin: What's jogging couch?

Original post by Anonymous
don't swim when you're on your period obviously

and get a better fitting swimming suit?

Well, what if I want to join a club that requires me to go weekly? I can't just lose like 20 pounds a lesson because of that. And thank you for your reply.

Original post by Joleee
tbh you sound conflicted. do you want me to tell you to enjoy swimming? like, do you want me to tell you not to worry about the hair/cellulite/boobs/cramps/etc?

perhaps you think that's the obvious answer but to me it isn't. i don't enjoy swimming and i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything. if swimming is just going to make you uncomfortable, there are dozens of other sports you could try - we don't all have to like the same stuff. i used to love running (got lazy lately) but not everyone wants to be a runner and not many people feel guilty about not liking it.

that said, if swimming is something you 'want to overcome' like it's a personal goal, i will tell you that there are few perfect bodies at the pool and once you're in the water, no one will see your legs or your boobs; you could even wear a long t-shirt if you like. or go at a not busy time. you don't have to go swimming on your period - take that week off and do something else. i don't know how long it takes to be a good swimmer, but every time you do it it will get easier. the important thing is to not be so hard on yourself. do what you want :smile:

No, I just wanted advice - maybe if I work out, my cellulite will fade? I don't know

And that's true, but swimming feels great.

But for the period thing, I want to join a club to learn, not as a leisurely sport or occasional thing. I don't want to just waste money because of it.

Thank you very much for an elaborate response :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest