Should alcohol be allowed in prisons? Watch

Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I read an an old independent article from the 1990s suggesting alcohol be allowed in jail.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...l-1287699.html

I think it could be given as a treat or privilege to inmates for good behaviour and hard work but limited to a max of 5 UK units a week.

Alcohol in moderation has health benefits such as antioxidants in red wine which prevent cancer.

A small amount of alcohol could also be provided at Xmas time and celebrations etc but only for well behaved inmates.

It could work as a carrot and stick to generally improve behaviour and cooperation in prisons.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
...Alcohol in moderation has health benefits such as antioxidants in red wine which prevent cancer...
Still not 100% conclusive.

But IMO if it has the potential to cause disruption, then it shouldn't be allowed.

Prisoners are in there for rehabilitation, not enjoyment.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yeh, I wouldn't recommend that.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Bloody daft idea. certain to cause disruption and seriously negative press.

They can get their antioxidants elsewhere.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not in a million years.
Unless there is a medical reason to provide free alcohol to specific criminals.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Give them grape juice with their breakfast for even more antioxidants.

The reward for good behaviour is to get out early, not get into drunk fights and rack up even more time.
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Bloody daft idea. certain to cause disruption and seriously negative press.

They can get their antioxidants elsewhere.
(Original post by ThomH97)
Give them grape juice with their breakfast for even more antioxidants.

The reward for good behaviour is to get out early, not get into drunk fights and rack up even more time.
It would only be available to a inmates who have a long record of good behaviour and compliance whilst inside. Drinking would be restricted to a max of 5 units per week or max 2 units a day. 2 units is about 1 can of beer or 1 glass of wine. So unlikely they could get drunk on that.
Drinking would only be done under supervision of guards and any abuse of this privilege would mean permanent ban of alcohol for the rest of their sentence.

A treat like this could improve morale among inmates who have very little to look forward to.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 6 months ago
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No, they should be fed crackers and cheese and sometimes have access to water. Anything else is a luxury they don't deserve.

With the life term ones, I see no good reason to not have fights to the death like Maximus in Gladiator.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It would only be available to a inmates who have a long record of good behaviour and compliance whilst inside. Drinking would be restricted to a max of 5 units per week or max 2 units a day. 2 units is about 1 can of beer or 1 glass of wine. So unlikely they could get drunk on that.
Drinking would only be done under supervision of guards and any abuse of this privilege would mean permanent ban of alcohol for the rest of their sentence.

A treat like this could improve morale among inmates who have very little to look forward to.
Alcohol invariably worsens behaviour. Unless this is some twisted plan to keep everyone inside for longer like the USA does, your plan makes no sense.

I'm also not sure why alcohol should be encouraged as a good thing, to anyone let alone those with a history of resorting to crime.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Nope. Give them a treat that isn't booze.

As one of many reasons...they'd smuggle, stockpile and trade it, it would end up with the people it really shouldn't, any attempt to say it wouldn't is laughable.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Btw, I read this proposal before. I am not sure where or why; I sure as hell wasn't reading the Indie in the 90s.

Maybe it has been adopted; was on the news or the One Show?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (502)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.12%
No- I want it (238)
28.33%
No- I don't want it (57)
6.79%

Watched Threads